Print Thread
Hop To
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Always shot a regular trigger release, but have wanted to try a thumb release for a while to see how I like it. Have had some issue's with punching and target panic, thought it might help to switch it up. Anyone using one, and if so which one and how do you like it?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If going handheld you owe it to yourself to check out the Ringer Release from No Limit Archery

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
280, what do you use for hunting?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run a scott sabre tooth for hunting and 3d. Have run carter, stanislowski, tru ball and the No Limit Ringer as well. Of all the hand held releases the ringer is my hands down favorite

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of the competitive 3D guys use a thumb release, so there must be something to them. I have a Chappy Boss...one of the nice things is that you can tame target panic by holding your thumb steady against the trigger, and then slowly increasing tension on the release grip until the bow fires.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Help out a newbie here...

After researching 'punching' I came across several articles detailing back tension shooting. Seems to be the universal method among professional teachers and competitors. I gave it a quick try last night and couldn't get it. Seemed like I was just cranking back against my wall and introducing more tension and torque into the shot.

I got a Cheapo intro release with my bow package and didn't like it right off the bat...even with no xperience. Like my rifles, I expect and need a crisp pull. Went and bought an upgraded model which was an immediate, noticeable improvement. The other day when shooting at 40 yds it was easy to keep three arrows in well under the size of the vital area. And this from a newbie who is just relearning. Granted, there were no obstacles and no buck fever but I figured that's what practice is for...to build muscle memory.

My question is how important is learning how to BT shoot if I'm only hunting and shooting for fun (and maybe some 3D shoots)? I thought (and practice) like a rifle rather than a shotgun. That is, I concemtrate totally on keeping tight on the back wall and where my sight pin is as I gently 'squeeze' the trigger. If my sight wanders, I suspend my squeeze just like a rifle. I just concentrate on the sight till the bow fires as opposed to to quickly and smoothly pulling the trigger as my sights are on the bullseye (like a shotgun).

So far, at the ranges I can expect to shoot (can't imagine the deer not jumping the sound of my arrow at much more than 40 yds) does it matter? Accuracy seems to be more than sufficient even as I strive to always improve.

BTW, as far as hunting goes I don't think tree stands will be much of an option out here so I'm thinking I'll mostly S&S, SH or ground blind them. I'm thinking that lends itself more to a wrist strap finger release style. Yes or no?

Thanks for the help. I'm enjoying learning!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still shooting a wrist strap release. I hunt and shoot competitively. For my personal use, i see no need to change

Custom Strings/Tuning
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Help out a newbie here...

After researching 'punching' I came across several articles detailing back tension shooting. Seems to be the universal method among professional teachers and competitors. I gave it a quick try last night and couldn't get it. Seemed like I was just cranking back against my wall and introducing more tension and torque into the shot.

I got a Cheapo intro release with my bow package and didn't like it right off the bat...even with no xperience. Like my rifles, I expect and need a crisp pull. Went and bought an upgraded model which was an immediate, noticeable improvement. The other day when shooting at 40 yds it was easy to keep three arrows in well under the size of the vital area. And this from a newbie who is just relearning. Granted, there were no obstacles and no buck fever but I figured that's what practice is for...to build muscle memory.

My question is how important is learning how to BT shoot if I'm only hunting and shooting for fun (and maybe some 3D shoots)? I thought (and practice) like a rifle rather than a shotgun. That is, I concemtrate totally on keeping tight on the back wall and where my sight pin is as I gently 'squeeze' the trigger. If my sight wanders, I suspend my squeeze just like a rifle. I just concentrate on the sight till the bow fires as opposed to to quickly and smoothly pulling the trigger as my sights are on the bullseye (like a shotgun).

So far, at the ranges I can expect to shoot (can't imagine the deer not jumping the sound of my arrow at much more than 40 yds) does it matter? Accuracy seems to be more than sufficient even as I strive to always improve.

BTW, as far as hunting goes I don't think tree stands will be much of an option out here so I'm thinking I'll mostly S&S, SH or ground blind them. I'm thinking that lends itself more to a wrist strap finger release style. Yes or no?

Thanks for the help. I'm enjoying learning!

If you are new and want to play with a back tension release I highly recommend you start here.

http://www.carterenterprises.com/releases/back-tension/honey-2

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I hunt and shoot 3D with a tru-fire 3D hunter which is a caliper head thumb trigger. For five spot target I use either a carter plain one thumb trigger or a carter honey 2 back tension. I personally won't hunt with a back tension.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot 3D and hunt with a Carter Chocolate Addiction. Spendy but on its 8th season and love it. I don't so much squeeze the trigger as much as I try to squeeze the whole release while using back tension to make it go. Just clip it to my D loop when hunting and it is ready to roll.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been using a Stan justx after being a truball guy for years. I won't look back

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just because you hold it in your hand and trigger it with your thumb does not mean that you can not punch it. I suggest you find a hinge type release (Scott Longhorn or similar) and learn to shoot it. Once you actually learn to shoot with back tension you'll likely be much more calm aiming and holding in the middle. It is not something that you can do overnight - more like a month of fairly extensive shooting. It is worth the effort and even if you don't hunt with it, it will make you a better shot with a trigger type release.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with an old cheapy back in the day. For about the past 20 years I've shot a Winn FreeFlite. I'm seriously considering trying a thumb'er again. Any recommendations for one that is left attached to the string while in the stand? Preferably under $100?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Just because you hold it in your hand and trigger it with your thumb does not mean that you can not punch it. I suggest you find a hinge type release (Scott Longhorn or similar) and learn to shoot it. Once you actually learn to shoot with back tension you'll likely be much more calm aiming and holding in the middle. It is not something that you can do overnight - more like a month of fairly extensive shooting. It is worth the effort and even if you don't hunt with it, it will make you a better shot with a trigger type release.

Agreed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is one of those moments when I realize, I'm getting old. I still shoot a Hotshot AR release that I first used in the mid 1980's.

This was a three finger rope type release with a thumb trigger. I always shoot it with a careful press rather than a punch.

405wcf

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I still shoot a thumb release that was made in the 1980. It works great and I have no reason to change.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to check out the Ringer from No Limit Archery. Best of a back tension and trigger release. www.nolimitarchery.com
Can be used as handheld or with the Scott Archery wrist strap thats included. I like the ringer because it eliminates the tendency to punch the trigger. Its just a straight pull through the shot. Its the release I use for my personal bow.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I made the switch. Going back to the Ringer. I refuse to shoot a hinge (one self inflicted punch to the face was enough). The Ringer is the best of both worlds and this year I have enough time to really learn it.

Custom Strings/Tuning
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
280, Do you feel the Ringer has potential for hunting?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it does. It's already a proven killer.

Custom Strings/Tuning

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.