Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Re: the Mauser 95 thread, I'm about decided to buy one or the other of these for a 6 1/2 mm Svede build later this summer. Just wondering what Simpson Ltd means in their literature as in this example: HERE by the term "strengthened" with regard to the small ring Mausers. Is it just a small ring without the thumb cut? Also, if anyone has fondled one, do these small ring Mausers have the standard 98 sliding floor plate or is it a hinged version. So far I'm leaning to the Husqy as it appears to be the more streamlined of the two and has a pretty decent looking floorplate release, at least in the photos. Couple of questions on the HVA; does the factory trigger clean up pretty well? and what scope mounts work on these? Saw Timney has steel bases for the Heym and wondered if these would work. Thanks all.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is just the action without the thumb cut, yes.

The HVA action is far superior to the 95/96 actions, IMO. They are a 98 Mauser design and made from far more modern steels. The several I've owned were very nicely machined and had good adjustable factory triggers. The ones sold by Simpson are probably mostly early ones with the steel bottom metal, weighing 44 ounces. The triggers are standard simple Mauser 98 type affairs. The later HVA action weighs in at about 40 ounces with alloy bottom metal.

Unless you plan to speed-lock the 95 action, the HVA has a much faster lock time with 1/2 the travel of 95/96. Except for 95s better gas venting, I don't see one other advantage it has and do see some drawbacks. With the HVA all one would need to do to have a very fine rifle is to screw on a good barrel and install a decent adjustable trigger.

I use mine in 7X57AI almost as much as my old 30-06 Winchester.

As to scope mounting, use Weaver 46/front and 55/rear. I have a Redfield JR-HC on my later HVA 7x57AI.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 1640 without any doubt. There are no "strengthened" M95 actions. Just weak and weaker. You'll be miles ahead with the 1640. For Talley bases, order the S/R Mauser bases and you'll be good to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have early post-WW2 Husqvarna brand Mausers built on both the Husqvarna-built "strengthened" SR and the FN-built LR actions. As far as I can see, the Husqvarn-built commercial SR actions are the same as their military SR actions, except that they were made without the thumb-cut in the left receiver rail, there was more attention paid to the polish, and the bluing was a high gloss, rather than a satin military finish. Mine is in 8x57 and is the later 640 style. The floorplates on both the Husqvarna-built SR and FN-built LR Husqvarna 640s are the standard sliding style.

Buy the HVA, but be prepared to pay dearly for it, as Simpson isn't giving anything away and their grading can be a bit generous. If you call Simpson, ask to speak with Floyd, explain what you're looking for and he'll point you in the right direction.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Husky is a small ring 98 Mauser style. The triggers are simple, military style affairs.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A few trigger options for the 1600 series actions would be the original adjustable triggers (reportedly made by timney, I believe they are marked Tradewinds) if you can find one (they utilize the original safety tab), a standard timney for the 98 actions and Huber concepts trigger. I personally really like the actions, with another trigger in them!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by patbrennan
A few trigger options for the 1600 series actions would be the original adjustable triggers (reportedly made by timney, I believe they are marked Tradewinds) if you can find one (they utilize the original safety tab), a standard timney for the 98 actions and Huber concepts trigger. I personally really like the actions, with another trigger in them!

Agree about the trigger.

I love my HVA. See link.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with the 95s, owned several and still have one. To me one of their strong points is that many of them (all of the Ludwig Lowe Berlin mfg) are pre 98 and classified by the BATF as antiques. So there's no FFL paperwork, DROS fee or waiting period to deal with. They can be shipped to your door. The 95 floor plate is the sliding type.

That said for the build you describe I'd get one of Simpson LTD's 1640s. Came close to ordering one last week but so far I'm fightin it off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by patbrennan

The 1640 I'm currently shooting in 7X57AI is what they called the Deluxe model. It has a moderate MC comb and an adjustable trigger. I can't find a thing I dislike about the rifle, save for the kitchen-table stock refinish it had when I found it.

I sure wish Karnis were feeling well. He would do right by it.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have two rifles on HVA-steel bottom metal actions, the first is an original 7x57 with the 55mm factory tube, slow twist, but, 140NPs go about .5" for three.

It has the factory adjustable trigger, a Wisner 3-pos. safety, Brown Kevlar pillared stock and old Leupy mounts with a peep sight on them . I have had this since the late '80s, it was my primary deer rifle for about 10 years and I seldom use it now, but, it carries so nicely and has dropped quite a few deer.

I had another of these actions re-tubed with a fwt Kreiger, then another Wisner safety, the last one Jim ever made he told me and a Bansner stock, wearing Tally QDs.

The tube is .565" at 23" and it is a .280 Rem. It was finished two years ago, I have only shot it once with factiory ammo and it did very well and is one of the nicest rifles to carry and so well balanced in my entire collection.

I like these actions, would build 2-3 more if I were younger and they are the best value in a good, crf action for a light rifle on the current market, IMO.

IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
LOTS of good stuff here. Thanks to all. Thinking I'll get Floyd on the phone tomorrow and round up a 1640. And I'll be checking on some of the other suggestions as well. Hey Dirtfarmer I read you comments about the bolt stop on your thread. If I understood you the bolt stop is located at different positions front to rear on the receiver depending on chambering?? If so does the magazine use spacers for the shorter cartridges??

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I didn't speak to Floyd but do have a 1640 coming from them later this week. It is supposed to be pretty nice...at least the metal. The stock will be poor but I have a Hi Tech stock that should work on this. Can't see how you can go wrong with one of these but we'll see. I have another Husqvarna (4100) that has been a great little rifle. The trigger is not great but have been thinking of trying the Huber which is supposed to use the original side safety. How are you coming on the Kimber graduation present?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SNAP

I like these actions, would build 2-3 more if I were younger and they are the best value in a good, crf action for a light rifle on the current market, IMO.

It has been that way for about 25 to 30 years. Those went for about $350+/-50 in used condition and still do. Simpson Ltd has whole pile of them imported from Sweden no doubt. In that country if original owner dies and family does not have member with correct paperwork the gun must be turned in to local constable.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lead miner I would he interested in knowing more about your stock and where you got it. Thanks

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I didn't speak to Floyd but do have a 1640 coming from them later this week. It is supposed to be pretty nice...at least the metal. The stock will be poor but I have a Hi Tech stock that should work on this. Can't see how you can go wrong with one of these but we'll see. I have another Husqvarna (4100) that has been a great little rifle. The trigger is not great but have been thinking of trying the Huber which is supposed to use the original side safety. How are you coming on the Kimber graduation present?

Got the barrelled action back from Bartlein 10 days or so ago. Took almost exactly 6 months. One avenue for getting the stock blank cut didn't work and I'm trying to get pictures of what some other duplicators can provide. After getting son to shoulder various rifles unlike those he has it seems a high monte carlo actually fits his build best. Long neck, sloping shoulders, 6'2" with a 36" sleeve. My Weatherby Mk V felt good to him as far as shoulder and cheek position go but needs probably a 14 1/2" pull. An old Interarms Mk X also would work with a higher comb. After all that what looks like would be good is >>>>>THIS<<<<< at Richards MicroFit after a little customizing but I'm leary of sending in the blank after the mixed reviews they get. If anybody knows who might inlet a blank for me in a similar monte carlo pattern I'd appreciate the info.

edit: Not looking for all the hooked pistol grip, reverse forend tip and stuff. That will get rasped away. Mostly looking for something with that buttstock style.

Last edited by shootem; 02/10/15.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bangeye- I have a Bansner High Tech stock blank for a Mauser. It, of course is inlet for large ring but that and bolt release can be worked out, I think. We will see.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
With the exception of LOP, that original 84L stock looks pretty nice. smile

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've discovered Kimber stocks do not fit either of us all that well. Could make it work, except that one found a new home on GB.

Here's the blank I got from Kilamanjaro I want to use on the Kimber/Bartlein:
[Linked Image]

And the one I hope to use on the 1640 6.5x55 if I don't go broke first:
[Linked Image]

They're both Claro but fairly nice.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would say so…they would work. I like the idea of the Husky in 6.5. There was a complete rifle on the Simpson site that was chambered so but that one sold before I even looked there. Based on the wood you picked out, it appears you are more interested in the action to build on. I will be interested to see the BM when mine comes in. It is steel where the HVA I currently have is alloy and very wide at the front. It looks like the steel version is narrow up front- more like the 98 BM. That will make a difference when you are ready to start the stock work. Some of the other Husqvarna fans can comment better than I on that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got two 1640 actions with 6.5x55 barrels I need to sell. Both projects I started years ago and never truly got finished. Shoot me a message is anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.