Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9592109 02/10/15
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok i've been thinking of a single seven in 5.5.I have no viable reasoning other then a weird desire and i seem to like 32 cal.any experience with i'm wondering the accuracy and just over all thoughts

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I purchased the 5.5" last month but have not shot it yet.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Re_Shooting_the_single_seven#Post9376994

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9545919/Re:_Lipsey_and_Ruger_nail_it::#Post9545919

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Love mine. Very accurate, too. I bought the 4 & 5/8" bbl length. Might have to buy another with the 7.5" barrel

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an older 5.5" 32mag and I love it.
The 327 would just be more of a great thing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a 7 shot .327 would be awesome.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I actually could not care less about the seventh round in the cylinder. I think it was done to move the cylinder cuts to a place between the chambers in order to increase strength of the chambers in consideration that it is a very high pressure cartridge.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a 7-1/2" barreled "single seven" I haven't shot yet. Did a quick trigger job, loaded some shells, then got sick before I could get to the range. HOPEFULLY this weekend ... "unless I get a better offer." smile

Couple thoughts ... take a look at the load data on Hodgdon's site vs Speer's data sheet, notice the difference in primers, notice the difference in charges and pressures. "Hmmm."

At least on paper the little son of a gun's ballistics look like a .30 Carbine with a rim.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my "wife's" SP101 in .327 Fed. Would love to get a Single Seven.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a 7-1/2" barreled "single seven" I haven't shot yet. Did a quick trigger job, loaded some shells, then got sick before I could get to the range. HOPEFULLY this weekend ... "unless I get a better offer." smile

Couple thoughts ... take a look at the load data on Hodgdon's site vs Speer's data sheet, notice the difference in primers, notice the difference in charges and pressures. "Hmmm."

At least on paper the little son of a gun's ballistics look like a .30 Carbine with a rim.

Tom

I've got a 7.5" Single Seven as well. Only had time to shoot a few cylinders full of American Eagle 100gr ammo through it before I came down with a heck of a cold and it was just like the 30 Carbine out of a Blackhawk: no recoil, big flash, loud blast. Decent accuracy but I think handloading some cast bullets will show improvement.

IC B3

T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
one of my thoughts was to convert my 30 carbine to 327 and have the six shot almost sounds with the loading gate issue of the 7 to maybe be a better route though probably buying seven is more then likely cheaper

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I haven't found the loading gate on my Single Seven to be an issue at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are still some 8 shot Blackhawks floating around but they are scarce and very expensive when found. I was thinking maybe the Single Seven would knock the support for the "rare, hard to find" inflated prices on the Blackhawks down to reality but so far that hasn't happened.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For the .327 afficianados, Brian Pierce did an article on it in the Single Seven in the current issue of Handloader. I just got a copy last night but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Looking forward to flipping through it.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If anyone subscribes to LoadData.com all of Brian's data is already listed over there as well as about a dozen different sources.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have mentioned my load data in previous threads. But I will reiterate, a 78 gr Lasercast seated to crimp over the ogive combined with 3 gr of Universal is damned pleasant to shoot.

The grand kids down to the age of 8 years absolutely love it. I would consider it equivalent to a 22 WMR.

The 85 gr XTP over 4.2 gr SR4756 and seated to a COL as indicated for a 32 H & R mag is also quite fun, and very lethal on small varmints at close range.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Both the 32's & the 327's are very fun guns to shoot. Lots of good info in Brian Pearce's article in the Feb. issue of Handloader mag. Also interesting is the fact that the 4 5/8's gun shot almost as fast as the 7 1/2" gun with almost every powder, very unusual, sometimes as little as only 11 fps difference. Another interesting thing he found was some of the fast burning powders gave very good velocity, right up there with the more traditional slow burners used when going to high velocity loads in magnum cases. My 8 shot Blackhawk 327, even with high end loads is about like shooting a 22 when shooting my 113 gr. HP's at 1200 fps.

Dick

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have no reason to have a .327. It is a great small game and varmint round but there isn't anything in the way of small game left to hunt with a handgun here in NH... I've had at least 6 .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single-Sixs in every barrel length and even two Bisleys..and have sold them all....but the velocities possible with the .327 just interest me...

So then Ruger brings out the Single-Seven and good friend Idaho Shooter jumps on board... We discuss cast boolit designs and I really liked the looks of the little 120 grain Accurate 31-120S with its .24 meplat...but I don't need a .32....

But I look at the articles anyway... Now I know I don't want a 4 5/8" barrel...just too short...I've sold all but one of my short single actions..so then there is the 5.5"...nice but I have had 5.5" Single-Sixs before and didn't like the balance... So there is the 7.5"....just too long...a 6-6.5" would be just right...so I am safe...neither Ruger nor Freedom Arms has a 6-6.5" barrel as standard...so I can stop looking...

...then there was deflave... After he shot my Freedom Arms 97 in .41 he really wanted an identical gun in .44 Special. So I registered over on the GunsAmerica Wish List for everything Freedom Arms 97. Well I found him his gun but neglected to cancel the wish list listing so every couple of weeks a new 97 would pop up... And Monday what pops up...a 97 in .327 Federal...custom ordered with...a 6.5" barrel and 3# action job. Making matters worse is it is listed at $440 under current retail. So three of my unused guns went down the road for one I will shoot...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Turns out the dealer who listed this gun had ordered it a year before for himself but when it came in he decided he had too many guns and didn't need to keep this one.

So at least this one I can blame on my friends Dave and Travis as they have blamed me for their weaknesses...... cry

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It was the least I could do, after you introduced me to the 41.grin

Bob, that is a gorgeous revolver. And apparently it shoots as nice as it looks. It appears that it might weigh in just a bit heavier than the single six?????????

I have been seen many times with my 4 5/8" single seven hanging from my belt while out feeding the critters after work, or going for a jaunt on the ATV. I really like the barrel length and the weight for such use.

I do need to find a better holster for it. I am still using a Bulldog nylon which I purchased for the 4 inch Tracker. It will suffice for now, but is far from ideal.

Brian Pierce mentioned some very impressive velocities in his (extremely well done) article. I have not chronographed my Single Seven. But I had to back down from maximum loads with 115 gr bullets and H110 as shown in my loading manual, as the cases were very stiff to extract.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine got its first test drive today. The Federal / American Eagle 100 grain soft point load did so-so.

I ran one load series with Fed 200 primers, Win 296, 100 grain XTPs, and starline brass. Seven shots, once around the cylinder for each load at 25 yards with iron sights:

12.2 gr - 1.85 inch
12.4 gr - 2.02 inch
12.6 gr - 1.49 inch
12.8 gr - 0.82 inch
13.0 gr - 6 went into 1.19 inch, the 7th opened it to 3.4 inches
13.2 gr - 6 went into 1.16 inch, the 7th opened it to 2.1 inches

Pretty obvious it likes 12.8 grains of 296.

I'll probably redo this pretty soon trying small rifle primers such as Speer used in their load data.

Few issues so far. I've fought with not quite good enough revolvers a lot the past few years. It is truly NICE to have one just work. One issue is the primer hits are pretty well off center, another is that the factory ammo extracts hard. My handloads are fine.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.