Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Cal,

I have taken my double a couple times as the only rifle and a couple of more times as he primary. Five trips total with the double. It is my favorite way to hunt.

First Tuskless

[Linked Image]

Trophy Buff

[Linked Image]

Non Trophy Buff

[Linked Image]

Another tuskless

[Linked Image]

And the list goes on.....

kscowboy01, how about a picture of the Left Hand 577 H&H Royal for us lefties!!!
Mike, thanks for sharing. Awesome photos and trophies! Can you tell us about the rifle you're using that is in the last pic?

Cheers,
Eric

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Great to see these double rifle trophies.
Cal

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Eric,

It is a Krieghoff double. It has a left hand stock, all blued, has no engraving, and is chambered in 470 Nitro.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic, Mike. Thank you! smile

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One, and done!

[Linked Image]

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the pics. It is nice to see doubles used as there were used when they were made. I have Jack Lott's .500 Watson Brothers nitro double. I will take it for grizzly in the spring and buffalo in Australia during June, prior to putting the rifle up for sale later in the year.
Cheers, gents, and keep the pics coming.
Cal

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good morning, Cal. Here is John Sharp's 1926 vintage Rigby 470 NE:
[Linked Image]

And this one, belonging to Dennis Finch-Hatton has a sterling provenance:

THE HON. DENYS FINCH HATTON BIG GAME RIFLE
A CHARLES LANCASTER .450 (3 1/4IN) NITRO EXPRESS BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 13315,
25in. replacement nitro chopperlump barrels (by the makers in 1929) with matt sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight (missing protector), barrels engraved 'CHARLES LANCASTER - 99 MOUNT STREET, BERKELEY SQUARE, LONDON', treble-grip stepped action with side-clips, carved fences, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, elongated top-strap, Lancaster patent detachable dipped-edge back-action lockplates, engraved 'patent 64311', Rogers patent cocking levers, best bold scroll engraving, the makers name within a cartouche, retaining traces of original colour-hardening, 15in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, rose gold escutcheon inscribed 'D.F.H. - NOVEMBER 1928', engraved pistolgrip-cap and chequered steel grip-strap, including 1in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end with grip release catch, weight 11lb.7oz., in its lightweight leather case, the lid initialled 'D. F-H'.
The makers have kindly confirmed that the rifle was completed in 1911, originally in .475 calibre (and subsequently rebarrelled by them to .450 calibre in 1929) for the Hon Denys Finch Hatton

Provenance: Denys Finch Hatton was born in England on April 24th 1887, the son of Henry Stormont Finch Hatton, Earl of Winchelsea and Anne Finch Hatton (nee Coddrington), a daughter of a former Admiral of the British Fleet. Educated at Eton and Balliol College, Oxford, Denys was a natural sportsman and scholar of the arts. In 1911 the 24 year old Denys bought land in British East Africa as an investment which would give him the freedom to spend his time hunting. He would spend every Autumn and Winter in Africa doing just that. In 1925 he became a professional big game hunter and took numerous wealthy and distinguished clients on safari - including H.R.H. the Duke of Windsor (the then Prince of Wales). His taste for adventure led him to learn to fly, and it was on May 14th 1931 that he died in a fatal plane crash in his Gypsy Moth near what is now the Tsavo National Park, Kenya. He is buried in the Ngong Hills and an obelisk marks his grave to this day. The story of Denys Finch Hatton and his love affair with Karen Blixen (his only known romance) is immortalised by Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in the Academy Award-winning film 'Out Of Africa' (1985).
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's an interesting article on Stewart Granger's double:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I collect single shots, but a good double is something special. A couple of members here have been kind enough to let me shoot theirs.

I'll have a good double someday. Probably not a .577, though blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
come on, you handled that 577 like a champ laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rifle was a real privilege to hold and shoot. But one shot made my teeth hurt. crazy

Ken Howell recalled that Elmer Keith had made a similar comment many years ago. Something along the lines of "...a dirty, tooth rattling jar..." smile

Assuming I reach my goals with the .475 Turnbull, and equal .470 Nitro ballistics in a 9 lb Ruger, it will probably be the hardest kicker I ever own.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gents:
This is straying from the original post, but the stories of the fearsome recoil of the big nitro doubles is nonsense. It began, I would guess, with gun writers needing to stretch the truth to add a hype factor to attract readers. Here is Elmer Keith in full recoil from Dr. Sutton's .600 Jeffery. Below that is Craig Boddington in full recoil from a .600 or .700 double. For some strange reason, my .600 does not see such muzzle rise and I've shot it hundreds, maybe a thousand, times. If one does not fight the recoil and has a firm hold on the rifle, the muzzles of a .600 rise 8-10 inches. Yes, if one allows the rifle to float skyward it will appear as if one is shooting ducks, but this makes for good press only and nor reality.
Cheers,
Cal

PS. When I was researching my book on the .600 rifles I came up with lots of stories about recoil--dislocated shoulder, spun around 1/2 to a full turn, lifted up off the ground to a back flip, fillings coming loose in the shooter's teeth, nose bleeds, ears bleeding, etc. Just like the stories of buffalo and elephant being lifted off their feet at the bullet's impact. Just hype for the readers. In fact, at a shoot last May a gent had my .600 double on him--320 grains of 4831 and 1800 grains of bullet. He held on to it and the muzzles rose less than in the two photos below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cal_Pappas; 02/18/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
<shrug> it made my teeth hurt. I don't want one. If you can handle one and enjoy it, more power to ya. smile

I commented to guys immediately afterward, if an elephant was charging me, and that rifle was laying in front of me, I'd have to think about it...

grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Was Elmer left handed?

I remember buying my first big bore, a 375 H&H, or at least back then it was a bore. Recoil was not bad.

I stepped up to a 416 Remington. I only shot the rifle 3 or 4 times because it kicked too hard. After deciding to go to Africa I thought it would be a good time to learn to shoot it. Now the recoil of the 416 is mild. I own 458s and 470 and have shoot several of the .500+ calibers and none are that bad.

Rifle fit, proper form, and practice is all it takes. I know some rifles will hammer you pretty hard but for the most part big bore recoil is not that bad.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Mike70560:
This photo of Elmer I've had in my files for decades. It may be a reverse image.
I remember in summer camp as a kid and shooting .22s, and the instructor shot his .30-30. We 7-8 year olds thought it was a cannon. You're correct on form and fit and practice. One can get used to recoil. After 6-7 months of no shooting I begin in the spring with a .400 or .500 bpe and gradually work up to the .600 and 4-bore. Now, I've built a shooting shed with a wood stove and shoot every week in the winter. Should have done this long ago.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cal,

Elmer may have been embarrassed to face the camera for that picture. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cal might keep in mind there is a fair bit of size difference between tex n cal and the guy who had the 577 we are talking about made....pretty sure that 577 did not truly fit Pat, plus dont think you can hurt gunner(owner of the 577).....bullets dont bounce of him but they do just kinda stick to the outsides crazy laugh

Last edited by rattler; 02/19/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
...there is a fair bit of size difference between tex n cal and the guy who had the 577 we are talking about made...

he's only a foot or so taller n' me... smirk

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My only safari. Only rifle I took was a 9.3X74R.
250 grain swift a-frames.

http://www.cruisersafaris.com/newsletter_2011/jensen.html

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,710
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.