Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not a backpacking hunter, even though I have aspirations to do it someday. These days, I'm mostly just a humble backpacker, and I apologize in advance if this isn't a good place to post my question.

I'm looking at a few packs, including the Mystery Ranch Big Mountain. The pack is fairly new, so there's almost no info about it online besides what's available on the website. And even though Mystery Ranch is well regarded in the backpacking world, not too many people seem to own them. I'm posting here because I know that hunters are a lot more likely to be familiar with MR products.

I have a few questions (I wouldn't go so far as to call them concerns) about the design of this pack, but maybe someone more familiar with the company and its past designs could shed some more light on the issues. For example, there is a full length zipper running down the middle of the pack. The access it allows must be great, but there aren't any compression straps that go over them to take stress off the zipper when the pack is loaded.

MR is known for bombproof gear, so do you think I should assume they've taken that stress into account, and that the zipper will be solid even under heavy loads? Or am I maybe underestimating the strength of zippers in general?

And then there are the angled side pockets, which I can easily imagine spilling their contents if I lean over too much.

Also, this is a new design that is apparently designed by Dana's son. I'd assume the big man himself must have given it his seal of approval, but one of the big selling points of MR packs for backpackers is that the famous Dana Gleason designed them. So that also makes me hesitate.

Overall, though, I like the design of the packbag (assuming the issues I've mentioned aren't actually a problem). I like the adjustability of the torso (I've had problems finding a good torso fit in the past), and I like that the pack is relatively light compared to other MR packs, such as the Glacier.

Should I trust the reputation of Mystery Ranch and assume they've anticipated the potential problems I mentioned?

Once again, sorry if this is a dumb question or if I'm in the wrong forum. It might be a question that can't be answered until I get my hands on one.

Last edited by westernsloper; 02/12/15.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well, I have six DD and MR packs at present and have owned/used several others over some 37 years of usually hard use in rugged country.

I have confidence in their QC and would tend to trust this one, but, only use will really tell.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can't comment on the Big Mountain, but MR packs are very durable in my experience. I've had a Crew Cab for almost a decade and an Orion for longer. Both are in great shape still.

If I had the concerns you state, I would call MR and ask them directly. Tell them you are planning to haul meat and ask if the zipper is strong enough to do that unsupported by load straps. I know the Longbow is a popular hunting pack with a full length zipper and I never heard anyone complaining that it failed.

Better yet, if you can make it up to Boze, drop in to the store and try them on to see which fit the best.It's just off the highway on the east side of town.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that is a killer price on a very well made and well fitting pack.
i have 2 bighorns and if i wasn't devoted to the external frame, i would use the [bleep] out of them.

mercy triumphs over judgement
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I went ahead and splurged on a Seek Outside Unaweep pack. I was able to see one in person and was blown away. I'd made the choice that if I didn't like the Unaweep, I would go with the Big Mountian. In any case, it ended up not being an issue because I was so impressed with the Unaweep, which looks like it'll be perfect for backpacking and just as good for hunting with eventually.

That being said, I did contact Mystery Ranch, and they were very helpful. They have a lot of confidence in what their packs can handle, and I have a feeling a lot of hikers could be very happy with the Big Mountain pack. Unfortunately, most backpackers don't look any further than the REI website when they're shopping for a new pack.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Did MR mention why they got rid of the compression straps over the zipper?

I would like to know why they dropped the built-in stick it pocket from the Sweet Pea pack? It was also on a larger pack, Big Sky. Dropping that handy feature is a head scratcher for me. My only guess is they wanted to lower the listed weight for the packs but it is a dumb move.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I didn't press them too hard on it, mostly because I was already leaning so heavily towards the Unaweep pack. They sound pretty confident in the zipper, and compression straps wouldn't really work with the pocket setup. I'm going to assume it was a combination of saving weight and commitment to the center-zip design. I'm no pack design expert, but I would've though a zipper running along the size of the pack would be a better choice, where the compression straps could take some of the stress.

MR packs seem overbuilt to a degree that most backpackers don't want and probably don't need, so I guess this new line of packs reflects a willingness to sacrifice some durability for weight savings.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.