Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info. Will see how these works in my rifles and handguns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in San Diego county I finally saw a box on the shelf of my least favorite gun shop - they are so crooked i normally avoid them but was going into a place next door and waiting for my wife. Of course they were double the old price and the guy thought they would stay that high forever......it will be a long time before I go in there again.

In Mississippi 2 weeks ago they had them in Walmart and somewhere else but not worth the hassle of flying with ammo returning with the family......not when I already had 12 lbs of good venison sausage in the luggage. I'm about out of 22's after shooting today and not too many 17's left either.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stopped by the local W-mart this morning, happened to catch the sporting goods manager at the counter. No rimfire ammo except two cartons of CCI birdshot that he said was the only rimfire ammo the store had received in the month of May.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunter's Outlet in Thief River Falls, MN got in 20 Cases of Remington Thunderbolts. $39.99/brick with no limit. 8 cent's per round works out to $.10-$.15 per shot. (Yeah, I bought two bricks anyway.)

GE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know what current production is like, but years ago Thunderbolts were about the only Rem. ammo that I had much "luck" with? Can't recall now if they were plated or "exposed" lead bullet?

Just discovered a brick of Earnhardt Jr. Rem. "Hi Speed" ammo the other day. I'd bought it years ago, put it away and forgot about it.

36gr lead HP. 1280fps. Sticker sez $13.50 for the brick. eek

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Was in another local store yesterday that also had an adequate, if not spectacular, supply of rimfire ammo. They have always had something on hand in this store as well, but yesterday they had a pile of .17 HMR (as do a lot of places recently), but also a bunch of Hornady .22 Magnum and Remington Thunderbolt bulk packs, both hollow-point and solid.

So is the magic rimfire truck breaking down as it passes through here, and getting looted by the local stores?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not sure but I know there isn't any up here.

Great Falls is always cleaned out as well but my stops there are pretty infrequent so I'm not sure how regularly it is delivered.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the "truck breakdown" stories in PA, are related to yarns about imported coyotes being dumped here to kill all the deer.

I like it enough that I may churn up some "trucks passing thru" rumors that pertain to 22 ammo availability, too?

Now and then someone reports having seen a truck loaded with 'yotes somewheres in PA and it appears in the papers. Have made a personal note not to ever stop when passing thru an area where this has gained any media traction.

My personal contribution to the frenzy, is that we're trading turkeys for coyotes so other states can have turkeys. WTH, we swap turkeys for pheasants, why not 'yotes?

smirk

And then there are stories about truckloads of mountain lions being seen here. Only a matter of time before we have witch trials again.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Not sure but I know there isn't any up here.

Great Falls is always cleaned out as well but my stops there are pretty infrequent so I'm not sure how regularly it is delivered.

Travis

AND you always get what you need when Shrap's not looking wink

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think he's on to me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
dubePA,

You'd think with the popularity of coyote hunting these days, coyote-deficient states would welcome a few more!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No shortage of 'yotes in PA. Fairly thick in much of the mountainous, forested north central regions and most rural areas. They're even in the suburbs and cities.

They've been around in the northern tier counties where I've hunted since the late 1950s, since I can remember and were fairly common at one time, but haven't become overly populated. I've had years when seeing several wasn't uncommon, but haven't actually seen one in the past few years. Still hear 'em from time to time though and the locals thump some each year.

Many hunt them, but got a hunch most are killed when encountered during deer and turkey seasons? They can be hunted here pretty much 24/7/365. Several organized 'yote hunts staged as sportsmen's club fund raisers in PA, usually mid winter.

The "there ain't no deer" crowd here has been accusing our game commission of stocking 'yotes to keep deer numbers in check, for years, hence my comments.

The more radical members of that clique of moonbats, also claim they're bringing in mountain lions.

I'll look up what the estimated number of 'yotes killed here each year is, forget. Coyotes have been documented in PA since at least the late 1930s, yet many claim they were introduced in the more recent past to kill deer.

Be glad you live in an area where fewer people translates to fewer moonbats.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The stories around here are the insurance companies are stocking coyotes to keep deer numbers down.

The DNR is stocking coyotes to keep deer numbers down.

Some sportsman club started stocking coyotes so they could hunt the yotes.

And although I only heard it once, my favorite is, PETA started stocking coyotes so that hunters wouldn't have deer to hunt.

Most of the gun stores usually have 17HMR ammo and you can usually find some 22 ammo at a few of them without to much trouble. 22 mag is very hard to come by.

Speaking of stories, did ya'll know that Homeland Security is hoarding it to keep us from getting it and Obummer and the ATF are paying the manufactures not to make it?

Amazing the things you learn talking to moonbats.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Near's I can determine, PA estimates around 20,000 or so 'yotes killed each year via hunting/trapping.

As noted, they are no more common where I hunt, than they were ten years ago. If anything, I'd be inclined to say their numbers may have declined a bit over that period? And local deer numbers were increasing over that same period.

We also still have good fox populations in that area, for those who judge 'yote influence on fox numbers? There are also far more bobcats around there now, than at any time in my memory.

Gonna head out to the range later this week and try some of the 22 ammo I've stumbled onto recently. Winchester 37gr Super Speed and Rem. Golden Bullet "new and improved", for starters.

Probably shake out these rascals in the RAR and the CZ455.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, we have our share of moonbats in Montana. In fact, it seems to attract them. Many of the really moony move here, because they believe its the last frontier where people can live free.

Have always wondered about why Homeland Security and the Obama administration would go to the trouble of hoarding rimfire ammo, or suppressing its manufacture, when .223 ammo is cheap and everywhere these days. But then moonbats by definition aren't the most logical humans.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the town where i hunt 900 miles East of here, after deer season and I am gone, they have an annual coyote hunt contest.

The pictures are sent to me showing the parking lot full of coyotes shot from snowmobiles by kids.

My brother lives there and he went up in a plane and shot a dozen with a shotgun. He says that plane ride will make you forget roller coasters.

I shot a coyote once. I was wearing a necktie and eating corn flakes and the coyote walked by my window with one of my hens in his mouth. I gave pursuit with a 12 ga. The hen recovered.

I now live on an island with no coyotes. The chickens can frolic in the woods all day, and just need protection from raccoons at night.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend's son moved to Montana about 6 or 8 years ago and loved it.

Country folks from up in Lycoming County, PA. Kid was trapping and hunting since he was old enough. Probably well before he was "old enough", knowin' his daddy pretty well. ;o)

Can't think where he was in MT, but a year or so back he lell in fuv, started a family and moved back to PA again for a more steady employment situation. Think the first few years in MT he worked part time for an outfitter or two?

As for moonbats, my conjecture is that the more people ya have around, then the greater percentage of them that will be a bit odd. Nothing wrong with bein' odd, as long as ya don't overdo it to the point of pizzin' too many people off.

Shot the RAR and CZ this morning. Neither liked the Golden Bullets all that well. Win. 37 grainers shot so poorly in the Ruger, didn't even try 'em in the CZ. That rifle runs pretty close to the Ruger in likes/dislikes so far.

Got enough 22 rifles in the pile, that something is bound to like those choices. Maybe? If not, some unsuspecting dad/kid combo shy of ammo, may be graced with the stuff this summer at the range.

whistle

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I went to Wal Mart to buy some oil yesterday and there it was..... A case of CCI 100 pack 22LR just sitting there on the shelf. I had to look three times because I haven't seen any ammo on that shelf in two years. There wasn't a line of "old guys" or anything. I didn't need any but I bought my three boxes at $7.99 each just to keep the ammo shortage going strong.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was at the local ,Brass Pro the other day and no 22LR on the shelves. Some .17HMR was all they had. Big surprise was they did have RL-19 first time I have seen it in n2 years, and I have been looking. They also had some pistol powders which seem hard to come by in my area.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
The local sporting goods shop has some .22's.. WW I think.. The 222 pack was very expensive.. He also has a bunch of powder.. Don't remember the all, but he had a bunch, at $30/#.. Not much for .22 ammo here..

dube, quick question.. how poorly did that WW ammo shoot.. I picked up 600 rds. in my travels but haven't shot it.. Also the Rem. stuff. How did it group?? As I mentioned earlier, I picked up a bunch maybe 2 years ago.. It is not match grade stuff, but I suppose I put 3rds in about 3/4's of an inch at 60 yards.. Sand bags on the hood of my truck.. I wanted to check the zero on my CZ after hauling it in the camper all around the country..
It was dead on, and I have been shooting gophers with it the last couple days.. Made some good distance shots, no misfires, or squibs.. For what I wanted it for it seems fine.. CCI will out group it, but I figured as long as this stuff is doing the job, I would save my CCI..
Over the years I have had only a couple batches of ammo that were absolute carp.. Both were WW in the bulk packs.. 333 I believe..
Just wondered what accuracy you did get from the Rem..

Molon Labe
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.