Campfire Greenhorn
That coconut micarta is pretty cool!

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first, but won't be the last Rocky blade

[Linked Image]

his pic, not mine. My iphone pics turn out crappy.

the coconut shuck micarta is way cool.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like that a lot

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Some light duty use,
2 thumbs up

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rocky is starting to create his own style. It's fun to watch the progress.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yessir , proud to be part of the progression

Dave

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a couple of Ricks Knives and 2 of Rockys, with another one to be made soon

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Yessir , proud to be part of the progression

Years ago there was a sayin'

Support live music, hire live musicians.

Seems like it would work with knife-makers also.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Life's a beach........

I watched the astronauts walk on the moon while at the beach in Galveston Texas in 1969. My whole extended family spends a week in July there each year. I used to fish a lot, but these days, not so much. I got the filet a while back and Rocky sent me a skinner and the the jigged dumplin' last week. I haven't been to my lease lately, and am sufferin' from SDD (Skinning Deficit Disorder). Since I didn't figure on porkers at the beach, I left the Ram's horn skinner at home. I did bring these two.

So when my son caught a some fish, I figured what the hey, not hoglets, but better n' nuthin...........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Its a pleasure to filet with a sharp knife. The dumplin' is shaving sharp, and the filet is no slouch. Like the proverbial "knife through butter". AEB-L and jigged g-10.

Good stuff Rocky!

Best,

GWB

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great pics, thanks for sharing.

I could see a dumplin' in my future.

looks like it would make a great boning knife for deer.

Dave

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gee
What is the name of those fish?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don't know which I like more, the hat or the knifes!

Greg

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Gee
What is the name of those fish?

Rick,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gafftopsail_catfish

we just call em' gafftops.

I mentioned I don't fish much now, but that was not always the case. When I was a boy and would fish the piers and jetties at Sylvan beach in La Porte, at Rollover Pass in Bolivar, the pleasure pier in Galveston or jetties at Port Isabel. Use dead shrimp, squid or catch piggy-perch and use em' for cut bait.

Around the piers and rock groins there was always a hoard of hard-head catfish, which were bait-stealers and were trash fish that only blacks ate. However gafftops were prize.

Both Gafftops and hard-head catfish wriggle like hell when you grab them to take the hook out. Their pectoral and dorsal fins have a poisonous spines and you had to be careful not to get stuck cause if you did it always got infected. Then you had to go to the doctor and get a tetanus shot.

We always went bare-footed and folks would throw hard-heads down on the pier/jetty or cut their throats so they would die. Had to be careful not to step on one or kick it with your foot.

Like catfish they got a hard head and tough mouth and sometimes its easier just to cut the hook than to try to get a hook out (as in the picture above). I used to be pretty good at sliding the dorsal fin between my big toe and second toe, pressing down and then taking the hook out.

Hadn't thought about that in years. My grand-pa was not a union barber so he closed his shop on Wednesday. He, my grand-ma and I would leave early Tuesday afternoon and make the trip to Galveston, then take the ferry across to Bolivar then head to Rollover Pass, fish all night till about 9 AM the next morning. We'd make the two to three hour drive back to north Houston. I'd crash and he and my grandma would clean the fish.
Back in the fifties' the pier at Rollover Pass, for a boy, was the Holy Grail, and fisherman's heaven. Jesse was tight with a buck, but when we went to Rollover Pass, he would spring for live shrimp (something as a boy I never had enough money to buy). We would "free shrimp" with long cane poles.
I'd catch the schitt out of "Specs" and sand trout, and now and then even a gafftop. Folks would come up and say to my Grand-pa, "what bait" is that boy usin'. He would look at me and smile, then look back at the person asking the question. "It ain't the bait", he'd say, " that boy just know's how to hold his mouth right" and we'd both giggle to ourselves, cause we both knew that answer frustrated the hell out of folks.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been to those places when I lived in Brazoria County. Their most outstanding features (in the Summer) is that they are hotter than $ch!t. Texas City Dike too. 100% humidity and 105 degrees Fahrenheit gives a whole new meaning to 'hot'. No wonder those Karankawa Indians were so damn mean...they were either getting burned up by the heat and humidity, eaten alive by mosquitos, or drenched and blown around by torrential rains and hurricane winds. It had to be a miserable a$$ place back before the advent of air conditioning.
It 'is' still a rather good place to go for hunting and fishing. I've killed a lot of doves in the Boliver area and down at Port O'Connor. And shot ducks and geese all over the place down there. Seein' your post above brings back a lot of memories. I'll say this...you 'use' the heck out of the good stuff you have...in this case custom knives. Were I a maker, I would be delighted to see my creations put to such good use as you do with em'.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
He's on the look-out for more coconut husk!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike_e_miller
He's on the look-out for more coconut husk!

Coconut shuck makes a killer handle. You have to see it in person to appreciate.

Dave

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
This lil' dumplin is pretty sharp.......

[Linked Image]

Figured I'd better wrap it in sumpin' so I wouldn't always be slicin' my fingers when I went to fondle my boner.......

[Linked Image]

Not ready for prime time, but I'm havin' a ball playing with leather.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GW ,both knife & sheath look great !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
looks great

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.