Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Swifty52
As with any DAO, the long stiff trigger pull is your safety just like a hammer less revolver. Should be no worries carrying with 1 in the chamber as long as you keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

I see your point, just not sold on the idea. Not saying it's wrong at all. Just not something I'm wanting to maybe risk. I get some experience carrying and that may change. That Kahr p380 would probably get the nod if it wasn't for that.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
As with any DAO, the long stiff trigger pull is your safety just like a hammer less revolver. Should be no worries carrying with 1 in the chamber as long as you keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

I see your point, just not sold on the idea. Not saying it's wrong at all. Just not something I'm wanting to maybe risk. I get some experience carrying and that may change. That Kahr p380 would probably get the nod if it wasn't for that.

Get pepper spray.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RJM
If the Kimber feels great go for it... That is why I chose the Kahr over the others it size...it just fit my hand well and I liked the trigger pull.

And no it has no external safety....which I have to agree with safariman isn't the best thing to have on a defensive handgun....and this comes from a shooter who has carried a 1911 everyday for 35 years.

Bob

Are you carrying the p380 with a round in the chamber? Just curious.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Get pepper spray.

HaHa! You're real funny.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer? I like the Kimber Micro Carry, the S&W Bodyguard, and also the Kel-Tec model. Any others worth giving a good look at? Just wanting something reliable for conceal carry when wearing lighter clothing. Smaller and lighter the better for this circumstance I'd think.

Buy an LCR.

Travis

That would be my choice for a pocket rocket.

Five pokes, full caliber 160gr wadcutter at about 1000 fps. Ruger LCR 357.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It doesn't have a safety

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RJM

And no it has no external safety....which I have to agree with safariman isn't the best thing to have on a defensive handgun...

That dumbphhuckk is constantly boasting how he carries a He-Man 10mm RIA 1911, which has TWO external safeties (thumb and grip), so I wouldn't pay one bit of attention to anything he says.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How the [bleep] could one have ever carried a revolver?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I ain't a moon clip kinda guy.

I know, but cases of 9mm in the garage sure make it tempting.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by deflave
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer? I like the Kimber Micro Carry, the S&W Bodyguard, and also the Kel-Tec model. Any others worth giving a good look at? Just wanting something reliable for conceal carry when wearing lighter clothing. Smaller and lighter the better for this circumstance I'd think.

Buy an LCR.

Travis

That would be my choice for a pocket rocket.

Five pokes, full caliber 160gr wadcutter at about 1000 fps. Ruger LCR 357.

You know, this does interest me some though. I am familiar with the 357mag and have shot one for quite a few years. In fact, I reload for my 629 revolver and my Marlin 1894. I know how hard the 357mag can hit. I've witnessed it with my own 2 eyes! Now I'm really confused.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I know the story about opinions, azzholes, and doorknobs. Everybody has one or uses one.

For a pocket pistol, I'll take 100% reliability and complete penetration via full caliber wadcutter.

I had a S&W 642 some years back. Sold it. Today I'd roll with an LCR 357 pushing 160gr wadcutters at 1K fps.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A 629 is a 44 magnum. Regardless, a revolver DOESN'T have a safety.

Get the pepper spray.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kubaton... whistle

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A 629 is a 44 magnum. Regardless, a revolver DOESN'T have a safety.

Get the pepper spray.

Sorry ... meant 686

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still no safety

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
BaHaHaHaHa!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really think the Kimber Micro Carry is what I'll end up with anyway. Now I just have to decide on which model. I like that all stainless Raptor with the night sights ... just not sure yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Waders
Been looking at the .380 line of pistols lately. Which does everyone prefer?

RickyBobby,

I spent a fair amount of time doing trial and error with a number of pocket pistols. I'll share some of my experiences, and maybe you'll find some of it useful.

1. Sig P238 (.380). I owned, shot, carried and reloaded for this gun for a year or so. It shot very well, and I especially liked the "real" rear sight. The gun shot every brand of ammo I fed it, as well as my hand loads. It was easy to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. As you probably know, Sig is VERY proud of their magazines. Factory mags used to cost $36.95 each. I haven't checked on them recently, however, you can use Colt Mustang mags and they worked perfectly for me ($20 ea at Midway). There was some controversy as to whether Mustang mags worked reliably or not, but it appears that discussion was limited to early models. I owned two or three mustang mags and never had any problems. The P238 was really nice to hold.

I ended up parting with it, because I didn't like the notion of a single action gun in my pocket in Condition 1. I'm not saying it's unsafe to carry like that; I just didn't feel comfortable. Also, at the time, I was still on the fence as to whether the .380 was "enough" for self-defense. I didn't have a Dillon 550 at the time and single stage reloading was a pain. Factory ammo for the .380 was about $18 per box when 9mm was about $11. I decided to sell it a try something else.

2. Kel Tec PF9 (9mm). I didn't care for this gun. It looked cheap. It felt cheap. The trigger pinched my finger (it did the same thing to Hickock45 when he did a video about the gun), and the trigger was heavy and gritty (I shot another PF9 and the trigger was just as bad on that one). But…it functioned well and was accurate. I shot it as well/as bad as any other gun.

3. Ruger LCR (.38 Spcl, .22lr, and .22mag). I have owned a .22 Mag and a .38 Spcl. I have shot probably 4 others, belonging to friends and students. It's another economy gun. I've known two to fail. Both were .38's and the cylinder would not rotate when you squeezed the trigger--which can be a problem in a DAO revolver. The two I owned and shot were fine. Ruger, in my limited experience, has great customer service should you need it. The sights are fairly worthless, but likely no more so than on any other J frame gun. The trigger was OK--not terrible but certainly not "great" or even "very good"--just "good." But, don't forget, it's a budget gun. I think LCRs are a very good value (as long as it doesn't break on you). My dad owns one in .22 Mag (not the one I owned previously) and I didn't try to talk him out of it when he wanted to buy it.

4. Glock 42 (.380). I didn't own it, but was considering buying it. Back before the law changed here in WA, I borrowed one to try. My wife, her friend and I shot it. I liked it--it's just a little bit big for a .380, maybe. If you're going to get a gun that takes up that much space, there are a lot of 9mm's out there. But, make no mistake, I liked it. Here is a link to a thread discussing the G42 ad nauseum (my comments are in there if you care).

5. Kahr CW9 (9mm). I've owned this gun, shot it, loved it, then decided it was too big and sold it. Then I missed owning it and bought another--loved it, shot it and decided to get something smaller. But, I still miss it. If you're going to carry in a holster, I'd say this is as good as a choice as any. Nice trigger, economical on the wallet, easy to point and shoot, reliable. I really enjoyed this gun.

6. Kahr PM9 (9mm). This is the Kahr CM9 with polygonal rifling and some other "higher quality" parts. I got a bit of a discount through Kahr's Instructor Program, so I decided to go with the PM9 over the CM9. Since buying the PM9 I've had the chance to compare it side-by-side with the CM9 and would not hesitate to recommend the less-expensive CM9 to buyers. Many people don't see polygonal rifling as an improvement and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Kahr trigger are long, but no longer than a Glock. I like how smooth they are. I had night sights put on my PM9 and got a few extra magazines, including an extended 7-round mag. Their extended mag does hold that extra round, but other than that, there isn't much good to say about it. The magazine does not create that feel of extending the grip of the gun; instead it's just a longer mag wrapped in plastic/rubber. I shoot fine with the extended mag, but Kahr just made zero effort to make it asthetically pleasing. That said, I love my PM9. It's currently my EDC gun. It's small, thin, accurate, and reliable. It's a 9mm, which makes factory ammo cheap and affordable--especially if you shoot remanufactured stuff bought in bulk. It's easy to care for--no special tools or special knowledge required. No external safety, but I see that as a plus. YMMV.

7. Kimber Micro (.380). Remember my dad who has the LCR .22 Mag? Well, he thought he should own an automatic. At age 75, he lacks hand strength. He could not work the slide well (if at all) on any short barreled 9mm. So we went gun shopping a few times and last weekend he bought a Kimber Micro CDP . He fiddled with a Sig P238 and the Kimber before settling on the Kimber. I don't know why, but I didn't want to like the Kimber--maybe because I was already partial to the P238. But, as I was dinking around with it at the counter, I liked it. A lot. We got some plinking ammo and some self-defense ammo and headed straight to the range. It shot 50 rounds out of the box without a bobble. It was accurate and easy to point and shoot. It has back strap checkering (made of metal, not the Kimber plastic) and front strap checkering. It's aggressive too! But it won't make you bleed. Recoil is what you'd expect. The external safety is ambi. The trigger is better than average. If you are (1) going to carry a single action with an external safety, and (2) you insist on a .380 over a 9mm, this is the one to get if you can afford it (you pay $400 for the Kimber name). Kimber mags are $20 each for 6-rounders (dad got 2 extra). I haven't seen the 7-round mag since the store didn't have any. He plans to get one, though.

8. Smith 9mm revolver. Owned one and sold it. Read my comments in THIS THREAD if you care.

I've owned a few other "smaller stuff" but not really in the league you're interested in so I won't bother with them.

Anyhoo, I hope this helps. Let us know what you get. 'cuz around here: When you get a new gun, we ALL get a new gun!! Woo Hoo! cool

Nice write-up, Waders. You definitely dumped a lot of first hand info out of your brain and onto the table.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This is worth looking at if you can find it locally. Some fluff, but good info with all kinds of specs/weights/sizes.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
This is worth looking at if you can find it locally. Some fluff, but good info with all kinds of specs/weights/sizes.

[Linked Image]

Thank you much! Know where I can look for it? Looks very informative.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.