Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been looking at those flat bed mini trucks online for use to keep up a family property. I just have a few questions if any of you guys have used or own one.

Are parts available?
Do they have enuff power to pull much, like atv attachments? mowers, small utility trailers, etc.
What kind of mpg do they get? They are stret legal in Tn.
Are they tippy? Some of the terrainis a little steep on the property.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neighbor had one for a little while. I could not fit into it. He found it not to be as handy as he first thought. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see a few around here but I don't know where they're getting them. I would seriously do a parts search before I bought one.

I just learned one thing, though. Don't google 'Asian pickup' to get info. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have been looking at those flat bed mini trucks online for use to keep up a family property. I just have a few questions if any of you guys have used or own one.

Are parts available?
Do they have enuff power to pull much, like atv attachments? mowers, small utility trailers, etc.

They are remarkably expensive and not road safe. You're probably better off with a used small Toyota or Nissan and a homemade flatbed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy has one. It is a bit tall geared for going slow. It does have decent power, gets good fuel mileage (i won't quote because it varies by terrain) has good heat and is small. I believe his is a subaru or hino. Ebay should have a ton of parts.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

Are parts available?

They are remarkably expensive and not road safe. You're probably better off with a used small Toyota or Nissan and a homemade flatbed.

I have been looking at that option before you even mentioned it. A toyota 4x4 with a extra cab and strait front axal equipped with a flat bed and ladder rack for canoe carry would be dang handy for every day.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have been looking at that option before you even mentioned it. A toyota 4x4 with a extra cab and strait front axal equipped with a flat bed and ladder rack for canoe carry would be dang handy for every day.

Trouble is that the Toyota Pick-ups you guys get in the US have had IFS for made years now so if you go that route, you're likely looking at vehicle that's been well used and possibly abused..

To be honest, I am not sure that IFS is really a deal killer in a pick-up as their off road ability is already somewhat compromised by their (relatively) poor approach, departure and ramp-over angles..

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pete E

Trouble is that the Toyota Pick-ups you guys get in the US have had IFS for made years now so if you go that route, you're likely looking at vehicle that's been well used and possibly abused..

To be honest, I am not sure that IFS is really a deal killer in a pick-up as their off road ability is already somewhat compromised by their (relatively) poor approach, departure and ramp-over angles..

Yes all the solid axle trucks are quite a few years old but I'm just looking for a simple farm type truck, no rock crawling for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just looking for a simple farm type truck, no rock crawling for me.

In which case, I would let the axle configuration be an issue..Find a truck of the age/cost you want and with the features you need, and go from there..

I suppose another question is whether your looking for a "project" with quite a lot of fabrication and spanner turning, or whether you want something pretty much ready to go when bought..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 320k on an ifs yota' and have not replaced a suspension part aside from shocks. About 50% of its miles are on dirt and 10% on horrible asphalt roads. I would not be afraid.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'd just cut the roof off a Subaru and be done smile

W

Last edited by woofer; 02/15/15.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woofer

W

Subaru have already done that on their old 1800 Leon Estate car!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pete,

those were called the Subaru Brat over this way....

a " Leon Estate Car".. that name wouldn't sell so hot over here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Seafire,

On the UK market, I think it was simply known as a Subaru 1800L..I think it was called the "Leon" in some of the European markets..

"Estate" is what I believe you guys call a station wagon? "Estates" were originally known as "shooting brakes" but you rarely hear that term used today..

I actually had one of those Subaru 1800L's..It was a lovely car to drive and was great for Stalking as it had a good size "boot" and of course proper 4WD system, with a low box as well..Some models had variable suspension that could be lifted when going off road..

They were no rock crawlers but great on farm tracks and across grass fields ect..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 02/16/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We used the name station wagon. The Estate name was generally used for a fancier one with wood grain panels on the sides. They were popular years ago.

These days Subaru makes a 4 door version of the Brat called the Baja.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by woofer

W

Subaru have already done that on their old 1800 Leon Estate car!

[Linked Image]

OMG,,, That the most regrettable choice I ever made on a vehicle! I had a 87 brat and traded it like a dumbazz. I would love to have another but you can't find them around here. I would sit on the top of it with the tee tops out while it was in neutral and steer down hills with my feet and wave at passers by (young and stupid). So much fun! I wish I had it back, I would put a anti obama sticker and a anti coexist sticker too and a people eating tasty animals sticker also,,, anything offensive to liberals.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sealbilly, I've ridden around a farm in one of the jap. trucks, it had slick tires and we went all over the place in mud and snow I couldn't believe how well it went. I looked around thinking it would be good for my grandfather to use on his farm and orchard but availability and pricing soon ended the search. Bought a nisson pathfinder a few years back for a hunting truck, it works great, it's so small it will go about anywhere you can take these new UTVs. They seem to sell a lot cheaper locally than 4x4 pickups. I got mine for $1500, cheaper than a decent ATV and street legal!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one, mine is a Subaru sambar with about 300,000 km on it. I need an engine as she smokes when I start it and not sure it's worth rebuilding. But I love the little truck. The Subaru won't pull anything because the engine is rear mounted, but the Suzuki are mid engine and you can out a hitch on. In montana they are street legal and I drive mine everywhere. I get 45 mpg, it will go 60 down the highway and haul 1/2 a ton. Best part is it has locking axles and low range. They are tippy and I did put mine on its side once, but put it right side up with a comealong and a tree. Part have been pretty easy, weirdest was a fuel but that crossed with an 80's mini Cooper, why it was on the shelf at a NAPA in Darby Mt I don't know. What I really like is the bed sides fold down, last week I hauled a hot tub on it with ease, I can also get two washers and two dryers on it with the bed sides on.
Most dangerous thing I did was load my quad on the mini truck then load the mini truck on my chevy, made for a top heavy load.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
WCB, I started looking but they are overpriced as far as I can see. I remember seeing them several years ago and they have went way up since then. the main reason I wanted one was for the bed. The fact that the sides fold down make it a usable work table anywhere your parked.

I cant believe you loaded your quad on your mini truck then n your pickup. are you nuts or were you drinking? wink lol

Last edited by seal_billy; 03/06/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SB,
some of them even have a scissor lift for a bed, or dump bed. I have used the bed as a work table countless times, the bed sides even double as my quad/ mower ramps.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.