Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mtnmickey
I do not believe the story that Matt is telling is the truth. I have known Tyson and his family for many years. He was not raised the way this story is portrayed, nor does his family in any way operate along these lines. My support stands with what Tyson Musil is telling you. I do not know the outfitter that Tyson was working with. Mickey

Seems like a LOT of evidence posted since you made the above comment, eh. Care to reply to it.

Are YOU involved in ANY manner in the GO industry and-or a member of the GOABC.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I just love these "he said she said" hunter/outfitter chit chats back and forth on websites and it's always started by a first time poster that got shafted and then tells a long story like this one. Then usually one or two come on as first time posters to back the outfitter and say he's the best there is, just as happened here! None of us knows the guy as to whether he's in decent shape and knows how to hunt/shoot or whether what he says is true or not true, just as we don't know the outfitter and person who says he's an okay guy. We can't do anything about what the hunter says happened even if it did, but if it was as said it shows that you need to do as much as possible before going on an outfitted hunt to cut down on having a bad trip. A person needs to talk to a number of previous clients that were in an area in the past couple years that didn't fill their tags to ask if they would go back with the outfitter they have in mind, rather than a couple that did fill their tags.

Last edited by mikeylikes; 03/18/15.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
No response from Tyson after the emails, texts, and videos posted? lol... Where'd you go Tyson?

Yeah Tyson. Where did you go? Why don't you explain the texts for us?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
M
After talking with two different people today it appears that I must apologise to Matt. Sorry I didn't check this story out before posting. Hopefully I will get better info on this situation soon. I based my comments on what I knew about how a person (Tyson) used to be like. A little more research on my part will confirm the truth for me. Will post what I find out. I have a couple local Guide Outfitter friends that will hopefully set me straight as this type of thing will definatly affect them. Mickey

M
M
SNAP--Missed the part about the involvement with the GO industry. No I am not involved in any way with Guide Outfitters or GOBC. Just a resident hunter that happens to know a couple people in that industry. Small town stuff. Mickey

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need to come here more often. God forgie' me, but more than a few of the back and forth shots had me about crying.

All nonsense aside though: Tyson, were I judge of this little matter, you'd be ordered to remit a 40% refund and have your guide status placed on a probationary status. Fit or not, killing a man's dream hunt with your apparent total lack of professionalism and worse, your texted/emailed responses are a disgrace to all the honest, solid, hard-working guides out there. It's reading about guys like you that hurts other outfits and does the most damage to the industry.

And not for nothing and in the interest of full disclosure, I too have been slightly [bleep] by an unscrupulous/dirty outfit once upon a time, so am sensitive to the plight of any getting hosed, especially in the case of hunters traveling internationally to hunt. After reading this goat rope, I'm thankful that my personal minor-league shafting pales in comparison to yours.

Dwayne, you are, as always, a cat I admire and respect a great deal. If ever presented with the opportunity, dinner and drinks are on me. 100% class act you are.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 03/19/15.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I don't get the issue with Tyson's emails/texts. Looks to me like he was genuinely trying over several dozen texts to make things right. There are three sides to every story, looks like this one is somewhere in the middle. Obviously the final texts from Tyson are ridiculous, but, it's easy to see how a guy would react like that When he had a client 1) quit on the hunt 2) He genuinely tried to make things right with you. 3) You slathered his name all over the internet like this.

Did you really expect a guide to pay you everything back including airfare? Do you do two weeks of work and pay someone for it? Obviously if the boss (you) has a problem you do your best to make it right, and refunding his entire fee is really all a guy can do. No?

It looks like he was unprepared for the hunt. It looks like you were too. Looking at this I wouldn't hunt with him or the outfitter, but I wouldn't take you on as a client either.

I know I have a low post count, but I'm not a shill. I have several hundred over several years under the same name on Alberta Outdoorsman if you guys think I'm a shill.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I take your point, BUT, the personal slurs about his clients physique and the THREAT implied in the comments about the show in OZ.....I see NO justification for these.

I am VERY familiar with the area, as I posted and anyone who tries to say that the Bull River, is not hunted by residents very much is SO full of it! This is among THE premier drainages in southern BC and guys from all over the Kootenays, headed there EVERY season for decades and still do.

On balance, I am NOT in Tysons corner on this.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Sillyak
I don't get the issue with Tyson's emails/texts. Looks to me like he was genuinely trying over several dozen texts to make things right. There are three sides to every story, looks like this one is somewhere in the middle. Obviously the final texts from Tyson are ridiculous, but, it's easy to see how a guy would react like that When he had a client 1) quit on the hunt 2) He genuinely tried to make things right with you. 3) You slathered his name all over the internet like this.

Did you really expect a guide to pay you everything back including airfare? Do you do two weeks of work and pay someone for it? Obviously if the boss (you) has a problem you do your best to make it right, and refunding his entire fee is really all a guy can do. No?

It looks like he was unprepared for the hunt. It looks like you were too. Looking at this I wouldn't hunt with him or the outfitter, but I wouldn't take you on as a client either.

I know I have a low post count, but I'm not a shill. I have several hundred over several years under the same name on Alberta Outdoorsman if you guys think I'm a shill.

After I had more time to read all the texts since my last post I do agree with you. There were obviously problems and it appeared that Tyson was trying to make amends. Then when the client made what I consider are outrageous demands wanting all of his money back after hunting for 6 of the 10 days and told Tyson he was contacting a lawyer I would have probably also have called him every name in the books. I think the client should be reimbursed a certain percentage, but 100% is pure BS and if he wants to fight for that amount he'll end up with nothing.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by SNAP
I take your point, BUT, the personal slurs about his clients physique and the THREAT implied in the comments about the show in OZ.....I see NO justification for these.

I am VERY familiar with the area, as I posted and anyone who tries to say that the Bull River, is not hunted by residents very much is SO full of it! This is among THE premier drainages in southern BC and guys from all over the Kootenays, headed there EVERY season for decades and still do.

Was wondering when was the last time you were actually in this area during a hunting season and do you no the outfitter involved in this .

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

I see the comments as a guy who snapped. Obviously still unacceptable. I've dealt with clients where I feel like doing the same thing (whole other industry) I always bite my tongue, but I've been pretty close to giving one a piece of my mind.

Tyson was unprepared, no doubt. Sounds like the area wasn't ideal either. Obviously there must be Elk, but you don't want to do a guided hunt with huge resident pressure. I would be choked! However, I would have arrived in the best shape of my life and hunt as hard as humanly possible for 10 days before I gave my judgment.

I'm in no one's corner. I think both of these guys were misleading. It should have been settled privately which I think Tyson gave a genuine shot at.

The last thing that bugs me is that the client nevWe expressed his displeasure at the end of the hunt. He even left a tip. Pretty passive aggressive to say nothing at the end of the hunt then drop this bombshell afterwards.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yup, you DO have a VERY sound point there and my personal concern here is really about the whole situation with GOs in BC and, especially, the Kootenays.

However, as a former business owner, in the Kootenays, I would NEVER have made the comments-threats made by Tyson, no matter what instigation was made to provoke me. So, my sympathies tend to be with the client in this instance.

Stew: My last trip to the Kootenays into the bush was last October and I will be back home in about three weeks. I actually expect to go to Cranbrook and perhaps take a run up the Bull.

No, I do not *no* THIS particular guide, but, I certainly have known many of them and several well known GOs in BC have asked me if I wanted to guide for them. Whatever......

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yup, you DO have a VERY sound point there and my personal concern here is really about the whole situation with GOs in BC and, especially, the Kootenays.

However, as a former business owner, in the Kootenays, I would NEVER have made the comments-threats made by Tyson, no matter what instigation was made to provoke me. So, my sympathies tend to be with the client in this instance.

Stew: My last trip to the Kootenays into the bush was last October and I will be back home in about three weeks. I actually expect to go to Cranbrook and perhaps take a run up the Bull.

No, I do not *no* THIS particular guide, but, I certainly have known many of them and several well known GOs in BC have asked me if I wanted to guide for them. Whatever......

Didn't mean the kootenays asked when last in this area, meaning the one being discussed, the guide area where this happened, during hunting season. Were you in there last fall, or the fall before or before that.
Are you involved in any way with the GO industry or a member of the GOABC.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
NO, I am a retired person and have been making trips home to the Kootenays, quite often, but, not on a regular schedule.

Something is nagging at my subconscious, there is something about you that seems familiar....

R
R
I hunted with Vince from Total outdoors this year in Canada BC for a combo Moose, bear, wolf hunt that I booked at the SCI show in 2015. The camp is nice, roomy, clean, well kept. Food was so so, with a few spaghetti dinners during my 8 day hunt. The overall operation is terribly disorganized and alot of time is wasted getting things together and people sorted out. I also wasted a full day getting out to the final spike camp hunt location. We selected the spike camp option away from the cabin hunts. My partner and I each killed a moose within 1 hour of our first day hunting within 100yds of camp! probably a freak situation but the cook did tell us this was the best opportunity to score on a moose as no one had hunted this spot for over a year. The guide was awesome (Dave) . We hunted the rest of the time for wolf and bear and only saw 1 small bear and one lone moose the rest of the trip. 3 moose were killed for a total of 8 hunters that week. I don't think I would repeat this hunt given the facts and figures.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Wow this was like reading a bad novel! I don't know anyone involved, but I have been guiding in BC/Yukon for 30 plus years now so will give some advice from my perspective. First off cheaper is rarely better. The OP paid $9000 for an elk hunt...Elk hunts with some of the top outfitters in BC cost 12-14k now. References.....forget them, its a colossal waste of your time....period. Bad outfitters "cook" their references.

The best advice I can give is to look at two things. #1 How long has the outfitter been in business. The longer the better. This might not always be fair as there are some real good outfitters that haven't been in business that long, but its a good practice to consider how long they have been operating in the area. A big problem in Canada now is the prices hunting areas go for. Guys are paying huge dollars for areas nowdays. So much in fact that from a financial standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense, so what happens is they cut corners, or overhunt their area, or both just to make payments. A good example of this problem is an area for sale right now for 7-million. How in the world could someone pay that and then expect to make money?? 7-mil would bring in more interest than could ever be made outfitting.

#2 And in my opinion the most important is find out how long the guides have been working for the outfitter. Talk to the guides!! As the original poster found out, good guides make or break a hunt. In almost every case you will spend the majority of your time with the guide NOT the outfitter. In my entire career in both BC and Yukon I have worked for 3 different outfitters. Ive been with my current outfitter for 25 years now. Outfitters that have guides who come back year in and year out are doing things right.

Resident pressure is now just a fact of life for anyone booking a hunt in BC. Even in northern BC you will find few places where you can go and not see other hunters. The Yukon is still wild, in 25 years I have never seen another hunter.

I also have to question your decision to take a mountain hunt with a bad ankle. Why not postpone it until you can hike?? Ive had my share of hunters that can't walk and it really cuts their odds of success, but Ive never met one yet that would own it....its always the guides fault. Not saying that is what happened here but the OP was obviously not in shape for this type of hunt and was handicapped right from the start. If your willing to try again for elk I would give Scoop Lake Outfitters a call....first class outfit with great guides and lots of elk.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.