Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for opinions on Christensen arms rifles. I've got my eye on the classic steel (Stainless) in either 30-06 or 338 Lapua. I'm all ears...

http://www.christensenarms.com/products/bolt-rifles/classic-steel/

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
For the price of a Christensen I'd be looking at GAP or Hill Country Rifles. Heck, you could build about anything cheaper and have a better rifle. Pretty large gap between 30-06 and .338 Lapua and depending on which I was after, they'd be two entirely different blueprints. The 1moa guarantee is kinda funny on a gun that expensive too.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I dont think you can get a GAP or HCR rifle for what the classic steel model from christensen arms is selling for these days.......

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by Higbean; 02/09/15.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had two, 7wsm and 300wsm. Never hunted with them, just kind of range toys that I worked up loads on and shot for awhile. My two had the carbon barrel and both were purchased used. Both were very accurate, well built rifles. I feel they (carbon models) are too expensive for what you get though. But I can't complain from a quality standpoint.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I just found a new gunshop today and they are a Christensen Arms stocking dealer. Obviously I've heard a lot about Christensen over the years, but I had never handled one of their rifles until today.

The model I looked at was the carbon classic with the tan Kevlar stock. In short, the gun felt awesome. Extremely light even with the 26 inch barrel. The grip was extremely slender and felt good in the hand. The action was the new Christensen Arms in house model with the spiral fluted bolt.....smooth as glass. We measured the trigger pull at 2.5 pounds.

One of the guys that works there said that he has two of them and loves them both. A couple of customers walked in while I was there and said they had each bought a carbon classic before deer season and they seemed quite happy as well.

I have read some less than stellar reviews over the years concerning the accuracy of their rifles and poor customer service. Does anyone have any recent experience with their newer rifles?

I am extremely interested in the carbon classic model, and I'm on the fence about buying one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Poor customer service is a deal breaker for me. I never venture past it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It looks like Christensen is making just about everything in house now including barrels, stocks and actions. Perhaps the newer rifles are a bit more consistent quality wise than the older ones?

It also looks like cabelas is now cataloging the classic steel and classic carbon rifles. They are the first big box store that I'm aware of that's carrying Christensen Arms.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did you ask them if you could get one with a 16" twist and a 2MOA guarantee?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found the carbon version on Cabelas website, but the nearest Cabelas store is several hours away. My local gun dealer said he can't even order one, saying these are factory direct (apparently to ma & pa stores anyway). So I thought I'd see what the 'fire had to say about these before I decide to drive hundreds of miles to fondle one. Appreciate everyones input!

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A co-worker has one and he loves it. It is accurate, but not any more accurate than most factory rifles I've owned.

I can't really understand why they put all that carbon schit on them when they still end up around the 7.5lb mark after attaching rings and scope.

Too much money for too little gain IMO. As previously stated if I was going to spend that much it would be toward a used GAP. Not a new Christensen.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have two and despite the cristicism both mine shoot good.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Im not sure that Christensen Arms offers the kind of benefit that they once did. Back in the 90s there weren't that many manufacturers working with carbon fiber in hunting rifles, and really not that many lightweight options period. Sub-moa rifles were also not as common as they are today. Today folks are ready to call even a cheap rifle a piece of junk if it won't shoot tiny groups.

I guess the main attraction of the Christensen Arms rifles is just the look and the novelty. Im just not sure thats worth $2800 big ones. Still trying to decide.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I shot one back around 2002 and just shot a new one that was purchased from sportsmans warehouse. They both shot as well as any other custom. Not sure of the models other than they were both built on Rem700 actions.

Last edited by rifleman700; 02/11/15.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
a friend has the carbon fiber barrel model in 338 lapua. it shot well but not with a suppressor. i know he'd sell it. pm me if you're interested and i'll get some details on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Customer Service Blows!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Cooperfan, can you elaborate on that just a bit?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by deflave
A co-worker has one and he loves it. It is accurate, but not any more accurate than most factory rifles I've owned.

I can't really understand why they put all that carbon schit on them when they still end up around the 7.5lb mark after attaching rings and scope.

Too much money for too little gain IMO. As previously stated if I was going to spend that much it would be toward a used GAP. Not a new Christensen.

Travis

A couple old phart friends of mine, got their fancy Christensen arms when they retired. Didn't make them shoot any better, than their trusty worn Remingtons from the 80's.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine bought a Christensen rifle a few years ago for a very good price after it sat on the shelf for a long time at a gun shop. Dont remember the caliber, and I dont think he kept it very long.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootAI
I have two and despite the cristicism both mine shoot good.

I have one in .223. Older Carbon Classic. Love it.

[Linked Image]

McMillan stock / PTG bottom metal / Vortex 4-16 / Thunder Beast / TROS thread adapter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.