Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
F A G car

Best description yet, has a descriptive ring to it......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8023443/tesla-home-consumer-battery-elon-musk

Musk is going to produce a battery that can power your house. Both Toyota and Nissan say their batter packs can power your house.

With that kind of battery, you can charge the battery with solar, or use grid power in the middle of the night when electricity prices are lowest. This could massively reduce everyone's electricity bills. It also means we're not far off of everyone actually being off the grid if they so desire.

A large factor in the viability of these projects is the cost and how it compares to that power provided by the utilities. Solar panels can't compete against the utilities and thats why the progressive fascists insist on wasting subsidies on them. I doubt that these will be competitive either.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Czech_Made

Musk is going to produce a battery that can power your house. Both Toyota and Nissan say their batter packs can power your house.

With that kind of battery, you can charge the battery with solar, or use grid power in the middle of the night when electricity prices are lowest. This could massively reduce everyone's electricity bills. It also means we're not far off of everyone actually being off the grid if they so desire.

The worst case of bullshit I read today.

Worst case of bullshit I heard since the last time I bothered to listen to Obama.

All viable batteries are chemical systems. There is limited energey density. And being chemical systems all batteries wear out rather quickly in spite of extraordinary purity of materials (expensive) and extremely complicated battery controllers (expensive) for charge and discharge.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ConradCA

A large factor in the viability of these projects is the cost and how it compares to that power provided by the utilities. Solar panels can't compete against the utilities and thats why the progressive fascists insist on wasting subsidies on them. I doubt that these will be competitive either.

+1

Solar is outrageously expensive. Let's talk about coal fired power plants for cheap power.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My employer deals in nasty chemicals, resins, and coating composites. They do not power or come into my home.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There isn't any differential in electric cost between night & day here. You pay the same per KWh no matter what time of day.

And solar? Well, could you go 2 weeks between charges?

Running a line over to the neighbor's electric box sounds more feasible. laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My non-techie neighbor decided he wanted to go solar, starting with powering his garage and basement. Told him the problems but he was a true believer (from Internet chatter, like everyone comes out ahead when they go to Vegas). Through experience he found out you need a lot of solar and storage capacity to keep the system up. Like even in sunny South Dakota you need three days reserve in storage at the maximum energy per day. Some days he used a lot, others not so much. Need to design to peak days. What finally killed the project was battery maintenance and the fact that the deep cycle lead-acid batteries loose capacity EVERY charge-discharge cycle.

And this was during the summer when we have a good sun angle. We had fun playing with it anyway. Of course a sophisticated system would do better but would way eclipse the cost of running off the lines.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by high_country_
I am still trying to figure out how you have two years in a row that loose almost 1/3 of a BILLION dollars and keep the doors open.......what senators are they blowing?

whistle Same ones that are handling the finances of this once great nation. shocked GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
All these green fantasies are a [bleep] joke. And so are the people that believe in them.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
god, i hope people latch on to this thing, ill make a fortune installing/removing/reinstalling these things for all the idiots out there

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I guess I fail to see much value to it unless it is significantly cheaper than a backup generator. Also, if it's Lithium based, I'm not sure I want the thing in my garage. If that thing catches fire due to a overcharging or a manufacturing defect, you can kiss your house good bye.

Now if I can take an electric car to work and charge it up during the day for free and then use to spin my electric meter at home backwards at night, that sounds like something I would go for.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sooner or later, someone will invent a true working alternative energy solution. The problem is that the government is backing non-viable commercial production when the research isn't completed. They need to keep the research going but the greenies are determined to shut down the working stuff before the research has found the solution.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The commie/greenie idea is to cover the [bleep] earth in solar panels and windmills.

Oh, and don't forget to use that canvas grocery bag next time you buy a year's worth of disposable diapers.

You literally have to be at least partially handicapped to believe any of this bullschit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

The problem is you read it and still do not comprehend...this is nothing more than another greenies wet dream as alternating current is still the best and cheapest form of power easy to easy to make and transport to an existing grid. The touted plug and play system would have to have a charger (to hook to the existng grid) a battery pack (that would need to last 30 years to be cost efficient) and an inverter because all the stuff in your house does not run on DC current not to mention a solar grid that will only help you when the sun shines. Go price just the inverter and the solar components with enough ampacity to power your home and get back with us. There ain't nothing free....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are so many viable alternative energy sources out there already: oil, natural gas, coal, wood, biomass, geothermal, etc.

It's great! I love finding/discovering ways for us all to be less-dependent upon the expensive and polluting use of batteries that are wrecking the environment and disrupting the indigenous ways-of-life around the globe.

And NO, none of that was meant to be sarcastic!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
The commie/greenie idea is to cover the [bleep] earth in solar panels and windmills.

Oh, and don't forget to use that canvas grocery bag next time you buy a year's worth of disposable diapers.

You literally have to be at least partially handicapped to believe any of this bullschit.

Travis

So, I'm in line at Costco. The gal in line in front of me had, among other things, five reusable grocery bags, and a Keurig K-cup coffee maker and a bunch of those coffee cups.

People are nuts. Greenies are nutser.

That said, if we can shave 5% off the peak load energy production requirement by using a bunch of car batteries that are plugged in anyway at those rare peak consumption events, that would very seriously reduce the total cost of electricity.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you guys would just take the time and go to the Tesla website, you can see for yourselves. Tesla's are not your old run of the mill electric car. They can do 140mph and go 240-260 miles on a charge at 78 mph. They can recharge 90% in 30 minutes and 100% in 70 minutes. Of course they cost $70-100k dollars. But no gasoline at all. Now, you probably can't do that in Alaska due to distance, extreme cold etc. However, the technology is getting there. Tesla batteries are now being sold as a backup system to homes due to their power. Yes, they are expensive. Cars were expensive 115 years ago and only the rich could afford them. Things and times change. In 20 years hybrids will take over, followed in 20 or so more years all-electric vehicles. If the world lasts that long. Battery costs will come down, life of batteries will go up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
If you guys would just take the time and go to the Tesla website, you can see for yourselves. Tesla's are not your old run of the mill electric car. They can do 140mph and go 240-260 miles on a charge at 78 mph. They can recharge 90% in 30 minutes and 100% in 70 minutes. Of course they cost $70-100k dollars. But no gasoline at all. Now, you probably can't do that in Alaska due to distance, extreme cold etc. However, the technology is getting there. Tesla batteries are now being sold as a backup system to homes due to their power. Yes, they are expensive. Cars were expensive 115 years ago and only the rich could afford them. Things and times change. In 20 years hybrids will take over, followed in 20 or so more years all-electric vehicles. If the world lasts that long. Battery costs will come down, life of batteries will go up.

Not to disagree with your post, but how did you manage to pull this thread up?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Still has to be charged.
Bingo!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in Georgia, we split wood not atoms.

actually, we do both. nuclear provides an important piece of the puzzle. it has it's supporters and it has its distractors.

but we know how to make wood fuel too. grin

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.