24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys, I have been using mostly 50-50 NRA type bullet lube for close to 40 yrs. My old stand by, Javelina, is no longer available, so here is my question. As I am not interested in making my own, and want to try something different to try to eliminate some of the smoke and dirtiness of the alox/beeswax, what is your recommendation. I have the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer at the present time and will continue to use the same. I have been told that LBT Blue/soft is the way to go. What say you?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
Guys, I have been using mostly 50-50 NRA type bullet lube for close to 40 yrs. My old stand by, Javelina, is no longer available, so here is my question. As I am not interested in making my own, and want to try something different to try to eliminate some of the smoke and dirtiness of the alox/beeswax, what is your recommendation. I have the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer at the present time and will continue to use the same. I have been told that LBT Blue/soft is the way to go. What say you?

My favorite for rifle/pistol...SPG for BPCR

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto. I played with it a bit a while back and like it very much.

I too lament the passing of Javelina- the lube I started with back in the Stone Age. A few years ago I scarffed up every stick of it I could find at gunshows and the internet. I now have what I consider to be a lifetime supply (seeing as I'm now in my early 60's) and breathe easy on that subject. (And sorry, but no I don't want to get rid of any!) I know it may not be the very best all-around lube, but it works ok for me. Besides, I like the smell of it- the aroma triggers a lot of nostalgic memories, much like Hoppes #9 does too. We gun loonies are an odd lot, aren't we?!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So THAT'S where all the Javelina went.........(grin). I've got two sticks left, but that ain't gonna last long come Spring.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've heard LBT blue soft is good, eds red too.

sorry I don't know who sells it as I usually make my own.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Speed Green was my favorite for low pressure pistol loads, it got replaced by TAC (from somebody on Castboolits) when Speed Green wasn't available.

If you really want to eliminate smoke though - powder coating is the answer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
as blammer, I also make my own, as I have done for 60 yrs. However, I pan lube!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started with a bunch of Javelina sticks a friend gave me when I first got into casting. I've about run out, though I do have one or two sticks left and I love the smell.

In the search for a new replacement I've tried Lyman and RCBS lubes and had good luck with both of them. I've been using mostly the RCBS green because that's what the store I buy that kind of stuff from stocks and it's a buck a stick cheaper than Lyman.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The LBT stuff is great; the guy you buy it from isn't always so.

I make my own and don't miss having to buy anything and have perfect results.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I personally don't bother with making my own yet...already have too many irons in the fire so buying lube is one less thing to experiment with. I have been using LBT Soft for a couple of years now and can't think of anything negative to say. Veral can be cantankerous to deal with at times but when buying lube its just a matter of mailing an order form and money order and waiting for it to show up.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the response guys. I'll give SPG and LBT Blue/Soft a try over the next few months.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I too used Javalina - now I get good lube from White label. They sell it as cheap as I can make it. They once sent me a box of a different lube than I had ordered. I sent an email and they sent me my full order free and said just keep the full box of the other lube sent by mistake. GREAT customer service. Great lube. Link below.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

Last edited by Mssgn; 02/17/15.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mssgn
I too used Javalina - now I get good lube from White label. They sell it as cheap as I can make it. They once sent me a box of a different lube than I had ordered. I sent an email and they sent me my full order free and said just keep the full box of the other lube sent by mistake. GREAT customer service. Great lube. Link below.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

What he said this is great stuff.

NRA Lifetime Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.