-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back when Old Dave Higginbotham (Lone Star Rifle Co.) graced our midst with his all to brief presence, I would have ordered up one of his EXCELLENT CNC'd extractor blanks, as opposed to welding this extractor up. Alas , those days are long gone.

I WILL be making a drawing of this piece, and filing it,....against running into this requirement again.

Very "Old School", the weld up approach (Frank DeHass, and Dunlap would be proud), but I'm more than happy with the finished product, it functions reliably and smoothly. Sharp edges have been radiused, tool marks (a place for fouling to nest) polished out, and a slew of unsized cases run through by way of testing. Let me emphasize again that in no single shot BPCR is it a good idea to have solid cartridge to extractor contact, once in battery,...No, I'm not saying one wants things flopping and rattling around, either. Just be sure to leave a coupla' thou clearance for best accuracy's sake.

[Linked Image]

Yup, I can hear em' muttering now,...."He sure cuts a lot of that chamber wall away, the original extractor cuts are NOWHERE near that big or deep."

Well, I've also cut away an awful lot of modern Cartridge bases, and know that good modern brass is gonga stout in that unsupported area.
The reason that your original extractor hooks were so thin (read prone to BREAKAGE) was dictated by the weakness of the balloon head cases of the day,....back when. I LIKE a stout and beefy "hook",and certainly DO cut more material away than the originals....it's pretty likely that the ear would break off a rolling block before a hook of this size and geometry gives it up. When one gets into the leveraged force applied in the Sharps, Hepburn, Winchester "walls", it's just flat crazy to "replicate" a spindly and weak balloon head type extractor.

[Linked Image]

I actually went back and readjusted the upper rim radius just a bit, after taking this shot below,...

[Linked Image]

Here it is, no ejector function, but a snap to rake out of the way, or the brass will just drop out if the block's opened muzzle up.

[Linked Image]

It's now time to move on to tuning and slicking up the action's guts, and bringing the trigger down to a good crisp, repeatable and safe 3 lb break.

Later,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Greg,

Thanks for the pics and update. Your explanation of what your doing on the extractor and why is much better than anything I could have written.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just rang off with your Pop,
....it's certainly a little "cool" in his neck of the woods.
The "wind chill is BS" bunch were discussed / dismissed.
We batted around barrel band v. forend mounted sling swivels, after solving most all of the world's problems in a few brief sentences.
Glad that extractor's history now,...
GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Helluva nice evolution ongoing here. Seriously enjoying this.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Planning is something we do between bouts of reality.
Rose colored specs in place I had intended to be a bit further along with this project, but December and January's muses had different plans.
That's a different story.
I did get back onto the bench, and spent a rewarding and enjoyable day or two "Slicking Up" this action.I usually shoot whatever's coming together in the white, and it was time to look at doing so with this one.
Yesterday evening saw the rifle buckled up as pictured. I bore sighted it on a favorite power pole / transformer combo. I dug out some old 440 Grain "Chicken Loads" (originally intended for offhand out of a 12 Lb Sharps). Good match ammo, albeit a bit green and mossy in cosmetic aspect, weighed bullets, Swiss Powder, etc, etc..
Had a pretty nice day afternoon at the Sierra Vista Range, with typical right to left Zephyrs to keep one honest.
The target was NOT placed at 200 yards, ... Given the sight set up, I opted for a more realistic FIFTY ( 50) yards.
The mossy old ammo was wiped down , and than had the exposed grease grooves refreshed with a swipe of TC 1000. The Getz barrel was wiped between shots with 90% Iso Alky and Murph's oil soap. No adjustments for wind or elevation were made during the 8 round string,....the 2 low shots are #s 4 and 6, and I figure that I pulled em' (flinched em') down there.
This 9 Lb 11 Oz. rifle will definitely let you know that you are handling some horsepower, when shot off the bench, and by shot #8, I figured that it's going to be a great shooter, and that the next time I wring it out it will be with milder loads, and the sharp edges on that butt stock softened just a bit. eek

My fears about the shallow grooves were apparently misplaced. This is going to be a NICE hunting rifle.

GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Greg,

All I can say is wow. It looks wonderful and seems to shoot already. Thank you for all the hard work and I am excited to see it make some holes in paper. I am sure my dad will be touching base to say the same thing.

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a nice departure from the ubiquitous "Buffalo Gun" or Match Rifle,...reminds me more of a Business Rifle or a saddle gun.
While the current LOP is a tad long for me (14"), it sure comes up and swings / points well.

I LIKE it !

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wonderful!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

My fears about the shallow grooves were apparently misplaced. This is going to be a NICE hunting rifle.

GTC

how shallow were the grooves?

JC

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good read. Thanks for posting.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

how shallow were the grooves?

JC

How shallow ?

Laid beside a Badger, visually giving the impression of almost not being there,...imagine a large .22.

It's a 7 groove barrel, so "rolling" an impact slug between dial calipers is about all one can do by way of trying to catch an OD. I don't have the gear to measure it properly, and the caliper stunt is half azzed, at best.
IIRC , it's a .456, but the bullet alloy may be springing back a bit.
Guess I should try pure lead.

The grooves are maybe half again as wide as the lands, and round bottomed, presenting an almost polygonal appearance.

The bore's a TIGHT slip fit for a .449- pin gauge.
Very smooth barrel, albeit with lots of first operation reamer marks on the narrow lands.

I'm looking at the 5" crop I lopped of this barrel, and figuring too bisect one part of it in the mill, and maybe we can study on it some more.

Sure as hell no flies on the way it woke right up and went to work, and I'm looking forward to tossing a few more groups down range, lighter loads, and at a somewhat longer distance, too. The silver front bead is EXTREMELY hard to see, shooting south into bright desert Sun, a flat topped post would be easier to define. The rear aperture , to my eyes is basically a small ghost ring, but seems to be alright for centering things up.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/11/15. Reason: screwed up bore dims initially

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Greg,I have been eye balling that picture off and on I think what we talked about is the way to go,it is gonna be a dandy.Dabble

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh great, eek

.....now if I can only remember what we talked about.

GTC

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I love these threads. Great job.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, a Craftsman and Magician is what you are Sir. I shall tipple a bit of nose paint to you.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Buttstock is trimmed and the search for a buttplate has commenced.

My Jap cabinet makers saw is starting to pull to the right, but the cut (started right on top of a 1/2" silver pencil line,) finished nicely at a little less than 5/8" total stock removed.

*first pic shows amputation, and potential choices for cladding the stump with steel.

*second pic shows Mauser # posed against stump in "normal" configuration. Weird lookin' and WAY to narrow, topside, where we want the max width.
*Third and Fourth pic show an interesting approach to the Mauser plate,( assuming I could get my hands on another one.) Inverted, and with the wide top off of one weld grafted onto the other, it would be NEAT to narrow and fold that top tang under the bottom line of the BP, and inlet the whole works down to finished surface level. Hell, it's down there that they all chip /crack anyway ! Can't guarantee how the weld will blue , compared to the original material, but that Mauser plate looks like fine Swedish Steel, from where I sit. I probably should do a little tack test to see how it welds, prior to saying whether that's doable.
*Last pic shows an ancient smooth bore military or trade musket BP that will clearly be adequate to cover that stump. I had a PILE of that stuff once, this is the last of the BPs.
* I can MAKE a BP from scratch, if required, it's just a damn shame that the Castings currently available are so crappy and rude.

Your suggestions, opinions, alternate strategies appreciated.

Cheers, GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BUILDING A QUALITY STEEL BUTTPLATE ON A WORKINGMAN'S BUDGET
( Or one could say "Mausing" one together )

Nice steel, but too small / short mad

[Linked Image]

Different Mauser, same situation, too damned short frown

[Linked Image]

HMMMmmmmmm, what if a guy,....... confused

[Linked Image]

Damn, THAT will work, get the torch ( A Victor Super Journeyman with a freshly cleaned #000 tip ). smile Founded in Sweden, in the late 1800s, this stuff is AMAZINGLY pure, and cuts like a dream,.....would without doubt be an amazing light show in low light

[Linked Image]

I'd say this will be long enough to get something half decent out of
laugh whistle

[Linked Image]

I have to build up (weld) the edges at the top, I REALLY don't want to give up any wood width there. Than there's the splice. TIG argon shield and 3.5 Nickle will likely make a good joint, but one always wonders about color match with bluing.

I'm tempted, SORELY tempted, to weld the splice, than, once profiled to close to finished shape, REDUCE the outer edge REAL uniformly, and than lay a bead of 309S all the way around the outer dia.,...Once blued, a svelte and somewhat "bling" lookin' detail on the BP, e.g. "Pimp My Roller" blush

Also thinkin' about grafting the left over top tang to the bottom / toe part of the plate.

I dunno',but have to get some other things out of the way, and will be considering this.

I know that somewhere on this planet there's a BUCKET full of discarded Mauser stock metal,.....I will now be keeping my eyes peeled for same.

Later,

GTC

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Looks like they will work out real nice,going to look sharp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Decisions, decisions,...etc.

The "traditional" military buttplate had that whatchacallit
(tang ?) up on the comb line, forever.

On reflection, not a bad idea if you're going to have the operators slamming the dam thing onto the pavement, cobblestones, dirt, endlessly....while performing his drill, or manual of arms. That would be the place to slam it, and have the arm come up in a natural vertical pose.

Than there's the clubbing , head smashing, and vertical butt stroking involved with bayonet drill and fighting,....

In my experience, a hunter / sportsman usually avoids slamming the butt of his rifle on anything, ....being more inclined to rest the butt on his instep, while parked in a relaxed, slouchy, un-military manner.

You very seldom see an old and hard run rifle missing a chunk from the comb line.
We see pieces split off of the TOE of rifle stocks a LOT, don't we ?

....really tempted to soften the top whatchamacallit / tang to almost gone, and grafting the other one onto the BOTTOM of this metal massaging stunt in progress,...thereby protecting the more vulnerable part of the whole lash up,....and also providing one hell of a practical place to locate a Q.D. sling base.

Just musing, under the assumption that you're not going to be running around knocking heads with this thing ( at least not to frequently).

....I don't see a bayonet mount on the plan, either.

....Phew

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Artistry in the room, quiet please! grin Proper reverence must be given to this work of art!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.