Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got streaks/crud/? in the barrel in several places. They seem to be mostly in the angle where the lands and grooves meet and are mostly about 6 inches from the muzzle.

The gun is a Traditions Pa. Pellet Flintlock. I was shooting both Hornady XTP's and cast SWC in Harvester sabots over loose Pyrodex with 4F black in the pan. I shot and cleaned a lot this fall and can't recall seeing the streaks then. I didn't fire it during the late Pa. flintlock season. I unloaded by unscrewing the breechplug and driving the bullet out the back.

I've cleaned with hot soapy water, Shooters Choice, and left it soak all afternoon with Birchwood Casey foaming cleaner in it. The streaks still remain.

Plastic fouling? What do I clean with for that? Or something else in there? Thanks,

Dale

This space for rent

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M-Pro7 has a copper remover and it has done wonders on the nastiest of nasty. Its worth a shot. You swab the bore with it, let it soak 10 minutes and run a clean patch through. Repeating the process until you achieve the results you are seeking. M-Pro7 has great products, you can find them on amazon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like plastic fouling. 25-50 passed with Remington 40x bore cleaner does wonders!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dale K
I've got streaks/crud/? in the barrel in several places. They seem to be mostly in the angle where the lands and grooves meet and are mostly about 6 inches from the muzzle.

The gun is a Traditions Pa. Pellet Flintlock. I was shooting both Hornady XTP's and cast SWC in Harvester sabots over loose Pyrodex with 4F black in the pan. I shot and cleaned a lot this fall and can't recall seeing the streaks then. I didn't fire it during the late Pa. flintlock season. I unloaded by unscrewing the breechplug and driving the bullet out the back.

I've cleaned with hot soapy water, Shooters Choice, and left it soak all afternoon with Birchwood Casey foaming cleaner in it. The streaks still remain.

Plastic fouling? What do I clean with for that? Or something else in there? Thanks,

Dale

The only Shooters-Choice cleaner I see on their website is Quick Scrub III. Sounds pretty weak.

They have others like MC #7 Extra Strength for rifles and MLs. Another for shotguns.

Which one do you have and does it say on the label that it removes carbon, lead, copper and plastic?

One last question....... are you using a bore brush?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pretty hard to get copper fouling with sabots.

Is that all you shoot? Any conicals?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BarHunter

You replied to me.... by mistake?

D
Dale K Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've only shot saboted stuff, no conicals. I had the bullets on hand for reloading the 44 Mag, getting sabots seemed like the easiest way to get started and keep inventory simple.

I've probably made a dozen passes with a 12 gauge bore brush. The bottle of Shooters Choice (Super Formula MC#7) says "Removes lead, copper, powder fouling in rifles pistols and removes plastic shotgun wad fouling".

No mention of muzzleloaders, so it probably doesn't work on them grin

This is my first go around with a muzzleloader in over over 30 years and I only shot patched balls back then. Guess maybe I need more elbow grease.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pull out a sabot and see what acetone (finger nail polish remover) does to it. Some plastics are quite vulnerable, while others are not.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by BarHunter

You replied to me.... by mistake?

No, I would have quoted you if I was.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
More importantly I wonder why it's there in the first place with plastic? Almost sounds to me you might need to polish the bore to get rid of any rough spots. You can do this with multitude of products including steel wool and a jag or polishing compounds. Remember your just polishing not cutting!

After each cleaning I always coat my barrel in a rust preventative to seal the metal pours. I use T/C 17 lube (each to their own)...but I'm not happy with it right now. Then next time I take it out I dry swab the fire a primer to burn any oils that might be present.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will not purchase / use a rust preventative, only a rust inhibitor. One absorbs and moves moisture. The other doesn't.

All bore butter users beware of drying your barrels real well, before applying it. If any moisture still exists in the barrel grooves, bore butter will run right over it and trap it in your barrel, creating rust.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.