-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I picked up another nice Ambassadeur last night. $34.00 including shipping which I thought was a pretty fair deal. I really llike the old Ambassadeurs. This one's a 5500. I'm planning on putting together a nice rig for my buddy and giving it to him as a moving present this summer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gopher:

I'll have to check, but I think that's cheaper than they sold for new! I have a 4500 sitting on a shelf, new in the box, waiting to replace 3 others which refuse to quit. I think the price tag is $39, which was discounted because they had just come out with the 4500 CB.

Good find - lucky friend!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I really like the old stuff. I still run several old Ambassadeurs and several old Mitchell 300's and 308's. I know there's better gear out now, but they just feel good in my hands like a well worn baseball glove. For newer stuff, I really like the Shimano spinning reels with the drag on the back of the reel, but I usually grab a couple Ambassadeurs and a couple Mitchells and kick it Old School.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was rooting around and remembered to check the price. Not sure what it started at, as there are 3 tags on top of each other. The top one reads $49.99. But then there was the wonderful clearance sticker at $25! I got the last two, which in the late 70's represented a big chunk of change to a college student!

I bought a SHimano Ceanan, and really can't see any difference in performance between the two, except that the Shimano holds less line, and it is left handed. The 4500's are still my go to reels for big freshwater fish like pike, smallmouth and walleye. I suspect the will outlive me!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just picked up one of the old 5000 D's. These are tougher to find and make great muskie reels. I've been looking for one for a while now. Got it and another red 5000 as a twofer for $80.00. The green 5000D, if it's in good shape is probably worth the $80.00 I spent for both reels. I'm setting up a baitcasting rig to give my fishing buddy, who's moving away this summer. The red 5000 will probably get a set of speed gears and go on that rig.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a red 5000 and a black 5000C back in the early 70s when I was in a little bass club. Both are the original Swedish-made. I still have the tube of spare parts that came with them - all untouched except for a pair of centrifugal weights I used when the originals crumbled. Darn reels are indestructible.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
GG, If you do any bass or walleye fishing especially with braided line I would bet you would love a 3600C. The ones that are labeled SM and BM are the best of the 3600s. I have a butt load of them as they are my favorite casting reel. They are great lighter line (8-15#) casting reels.

I would be willing to ship you one to try out and fish with it for a while, just ship it back when you deside if you like it or not. They can be had on ebay from 30 to 70 bucks. Love'em

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
GG, If you do any bass or walleye fishing especially with braided line I would bet you would love a 3600C. The ones that are labeled SM and BM are the best of the 3600s. I have a butt load of them as they are my favorite casting reel. They are great lighter line (8-15#) casting reels.

I would be willing to ship you one to try out and fish with it for a while, just ship it back when you deside if you like it or not. They can be had on ebay from 30 to 70 bucks. Love'em
That's really nice of you, but I've got plenty of gear, especially since this last addition. They all showd up today, and all htree are in better than advertised condition./ Can't wait to get that D on a rod and tangle with some big pike. Probably gonna seell the red 5000. If anybody needs one let me know.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
shhhhhhh, don't say that out loud. When I'm nice I do it off the hunters campfire cause I don't want them guys to know I'm not an azzhole. I'll get cyber bullied doing $hit like this if they find out.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
shhhhhhh, don't say that out loud. When I'm nice I do it off the hunters campfire cause I don't want them guys to know I'm not an azzhole. I'll get cyber bullied doing $hit like this if they find out.
You got me thinking, and I'd make this offer to any of our members. If anyone is in need of a baitcasting reel, and money's tight, I've got a couple spares if anyone needs one to use this year. Just get it back to me at season's end. I'd send a rod along with it, but I don't have any spares right now until garage sales start up again.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I picked up another 5000. Got this one locally. I just might start doing this on a regular basis if there's interest in these fine old reels. Should be going over to the guys house to get it this weekend. If anyoe's looking for an Ambassadeur, let me know, maybe I can find one or at least point you towards one that's priced fairly.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another Ambassadeur lover here!

Here are some pics of what I do with my old Ambassadeur reels. I still fish them extensively; they serve as my slow reels with about 23IPT retrieve. I love to tinker with these!

[Linked Image]
Left side of the reel

[Linked Image]
Under the cap

[Linked Image]
The bearing that replaced the bushing; the right side is similar.

[Linked Image]
Lightened worm gear drive cog

[Linked Image]
Left side of the stainless frame

[Linked Image]
Polished worm gear

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...00/polishedlevelwindasslyandbearings.jpg[/img]
The removed levelwind assembly showing the polish and the bearings which replace the plastic bushings

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...avily%20Modded%205000/rightsideplate.jpg[/img]
Left side plate

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o560/Smith-Sights/Fishing/Heavily%20Modded%205000/dragstar.jpg[/img]
Left side, handle and screw removed

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...0Modded%205000/dragspringwasherstack.jpg[/img]
Polished drag spring washers; two for increased drag range adjustment

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...Heavily%20Modded%205000/crankbearing.jpg[/img]
Crank bearing which replaces the stock crank bushing. It cleans up slop and makes things smoother overall.

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...0Modded%205000/fastgearsanddragstack.jpg[/img]
Fast gears, drag washer and crank bearing stack on the driveshaft

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...gswashersgearscrankbearingbrakeplate.jpg[/img]
Fast gears, drag washer, crank bearing, driveshaft, disassembled. Carbontex drag clutches.

[img]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums...vily%20Modded%205000/cogwheelbearing.jpg[/img]
A bearing conversion on the idler isn't terribly hard.

Fun stuff!

Regards,

Josh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I just picked up one of the old 5000 D's. These are tougher to find and make great muskie reels. I've been looking for one for a while now. Got it and another red 5000 as a twofer for $80.00. The green 5000D, if it's in good shape is probably worth the $80.00 I spent for both reels. I'm setting up a baitcasting rig to give my fishing buddy, who's moving away this summer. The red 5000 will probably get a set of speed gears and go on that rig.

You're using a "D" for muskies? You must have stronger fingers than I do, or you don't mind if your fingers get broken! I have a green "D" and a champaign colored 5500D. I'll hold on to that one until the Yen goes up again, 15 years ago they were going for over $5k.

I used to work for Abu, hence my handle and have about 100 old Ambassaduers in my collection. As much as I like the old reels for actual use they don't even come close to a newer reels. The pride and joy of my collection is a reel that George H.W. Bush owned, I also cleaned and repaired two of his 5000CDL reels.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'll use that D on 'lunge. As for the newer stuff, I guess I';m just old fashioned, old school, call it whatever you want. I learned a long time ago, that if something was good enough for my dad, it most likely would work for me too. I don't like the new stuff. Itty bitty tear drop shaped reels with magnets and more plastic than metal. Not for me. I like simpler things that I know I can use forever and not have to worry about breaking. I love to feel of an Ambassadeur reel from a bygone era. Funny thing is, I've got two old Pfleuger Supremes sitting in the basement collecting dust, and I just can't make my self like those reels.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the old stuff too, but crank on one of the newer ones once. It's kinda like power steering....

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That'd be way too simple for this old coot Tom.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
'Picked up a couple more Ambassadeurs, a Diawa and a Mitchell 308. Probably done for a while at this point.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I missed out on three Ambassadeurs yesterday. It was a 3-fer offer with only $7.00 shipping. It sat at $33.00 for several days as it neared it['s deadline. I tried to snipe it right at the end-bid $60.00, but was too quick on the trigger. Placed my bid with about 8 seconds left, and I'll be danged if someone didn't get a $61.00 bid in! Arghhhhh!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.