C
RIP. Died doing what she loved.

GB1

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wonder if the state is going to charge her family with search and rescue costs?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
poor gal didn't have enough experience or planning...

you'd think being born in Siberia, she'd have had a better handle on dealing with extreme cold and high winds...

Mt Washington can get some real doozy wind speeds up there...

but quite simply, staying out of the wind is the main thing...

about any Boy Scout should be able to tell ya that building a snow cave or igloo, your body temp makes the inside of one about 40 to 45 degrees... we train the boys in that sort of stuff...

she should have dug one and sheltered in, until the wind died down...

poor decision or poor planning..sadly took her life...and that is the tragedy...

plenty of money and fancy gear can't replace common sense...

I am sure the cold and wind chill made her loose focus and get her thoughts messed up.. and she was wandering around going into shock...and that is what did her in...

Condolences to her family..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Brad
I've climbed Washington, Madison, Adams, Jefferson a number of times in winter. They're simple climbs, just crampons and ice axe. -15*F without windchill was not uncommon. Have been in some pretty good winds and storms up there.

HOWEVER, I would never have broached treeline with 100 mph winds @ -30*F... if the wind is 100 mph when you hit treeline and you don't turn back you're completely without the skills to have been there in the first place.

Spunk is one thing and I always admire that, but I'd say she was absolutely out of her depth to make the decision she did.

By the time she hit the treeline, she might have already been suffering from hypothermia and unable to make rational decisions.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Did she have the skills for such a hike? One of the skills in winter hiking is knowing when to stay home.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mother Nature decided she had over stayed her welcome. When the internal body temp drops below 95 you are in serious trouble , other words her ego overrode her common sense and she payed the price with her life.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Did she have the skills for such a hike? One of the skills in winter hiking is knowing when to stay home.

X2
Only stupid to go out in that kind of weather. It's not pushing the edge, it's insanity.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calvin
RIP. Died doing what she loved.

She loved freezing to death

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Unfortunately stupidity took over and now there a many people mourning her passing. Get real. A very smart fellow drove her there? Really? Dropped her off to spend the night in a billion below zero weather. How is this possibly doing what you love?

It is not a fine line freezing to death in 100 mph winds in sub zero weather. I feel bad for those that relied on her for what she did offer. The fact she did not care about that when she got out of the car bothers me most...

W

Last edited by woofer; 02/18/15.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I find it amazing that so many people are commenting on the dead woman's personality traits.

Nobody here knew her. She made a mistake, as humans are prone to do. She paid the price, nobody here did. Get over yourselves.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I find it amazing that so many people are commenting on the dead woman's personality traits.

Nobody here knew her. She made a mistake, as humans are prone to do. She paid the price, nobody here did. Get over yourselves.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We get these fools that don't plan on how hard are winters are in the mountains. than who pays for it she is not the first and won't be the last her dumb ass mistake cost her her life

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
She was from Siberia. I bet there winters our harder.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by doubletap
By the time she hit the treeline, she might have already been suffering from hypothermia and unable to make rational decisions.

That's my assumption as well.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole

If you die in the woods people make fun of you. Just a fact of life.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all spend a lifetime doing [bleep] so people will talk about us after we die.

No big deal.

By now, I'm sure everyone is amply prepared when I re-boot.

Right?

Right?????

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RIP.

Sounds like she was full of piss and vinegar.

At least she wasn't rotting on a couch.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The only thing that sounded kind of odd to me was the husband driving her out and dropping her off.

I would believe they were both well aware of the weather.

I hope the coroner does toxicology screening. It would be a bitch if hubby had doped her water or something.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Seems they were both involved in money, in the NYC AO. That world has to be a shark tank.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She never really made a mistake based on her previous journeys into the Mountains , i would call it a error in judgement on the conditions she would face on this hike. Mother Nature doesn't have any pity on man or animal if you screw up. Plus i have always been warned , never hike alone, but in this case it would likely be two dead instead of just one.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.