Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

Pretty sad. You have to feel for her family and the rescue workers.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the girl had some spunk! She just bit off a bit more than she could chew.

God speed.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Her husband was VP of Morgan Chase and the two could not IQ themselves out of how stupid this was... Very sad...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Your looking at roughly 100 degrees below the freezing mark. Un freakin' stupidly real.... Boggles the mind.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
A
A
Sad..Tuff circumstances. No room for error in those situations

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are times to hike and times to hunker down by the fire. This was one of the latter. It's sad that she died but that wasn't the brightest thing she could do in that weather.
I hope that none of searchers got hurt or frostbitten. They had to be out there, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Looks like the girl had some spunk! She just bit off a bit more than she could chew.

God speed.

This. She was no newb or rube. She knew what she was doing but left zero margin of error. That margin caught her.

In those conditions, she died fast.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Whether paddling out into 40'ers, dropping into a blown out cat5, climbing 20k plus peaks, or running ultra marathons through the desert, some folks challenge the limits of their beings. Sometimes they lose.

Others never leave their couch, most are somewhere in between.

I know I'd rather live and die in her mold than rot on a couch.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Presidentials and Mt Washington are not places to mess around this time of year.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
she fugged up. plain and simple.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whether paddling out into 40'ers, dropping into a blown out cat5, climbing 20k plus peaks, or running ultra marathons through the desert, some folks challenge the limits of their beings. Sometimes they lose.

Others never leave their couch, most are somewhere in between.

I know I'd rather live and die in her mold than rot on a couch.

There's a lot said there. Well done, and agreed.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've climbed Washington, Madison, Adams, Jefferson a number of times in winter. They're simple climbs, just crampons and ice axe. -15*F without windchill was not uncommon. Have been in some pretty good winds and storms up there.

HOWEVER, I would never have broached treeline with 100 mph winds @ -30*F... if the wind is 100 mph when you hit treeline and you don't turn back you're completely without the skills to have been there in the first place.

Spunk is one thing and I always admire that, but I'd say she was absolutely out of her depth to make the decision she did.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
She for sure made some mistakes, I'm just not gonna run her down for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the farm doing chores, 35 below with 60 mph winds with gusts to 80. It had been 45 below before for a couple of days but with that wind, it was very cold - froze my feet, hands, and face. I don't do that chit anymore

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She for sure made some mistakes, I'm just not gonna run her down for it.

No one's running her down, just pointing out she didn't have the skills to be there, and she jeopardized the lives of others by her irresponsibility. She didn't make a marginally bad call, she made a massively bad call.

The problem with the Presidential's is they're too accessible to an enormous population, not all of whom are equipped to deal with what they can dish out.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Given the accuracy of modern weather forecasting I'm surprised she went out knowing how chitty it could get.

Pretty hard to get caught in a freak storm on a such a short trip.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking the storm is part of the reason she was there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
I've climbed Washington, Madison, Adams, Jefferson a number of times in winter. They're simple climbs, just crampons and ice axe. -15*F without windchill was not uncommon. Have been in some pretty good winds and storms up there.

HOWEVER, I would never have broached treeline with 100 mph winds @ -30*F... if the wind is 100 mph when you hit treeline and you don't turn back you're completely without the skills to have been there in the first place.

Spunk is one thing and I always admire that, but I'd say she was absolutely out of her depth to make the decision she did.

Agreed, and that's no insult to her. I'm no "experienced" camper in that stuff, but I do know very well what -30 ambient and -70 or greater windchill is like. You can't make a mistake. You just don't have the margin for error or the time/ability to make amends.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
She had some spunk.

There are worse ways to die ,,, Beats going out in a hospital with tubes stuffed up every orifice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.