Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Recent posts about Elk rigs and the 338-06 got me to thinking.
How many of you have ever owned a rifle that seems to have been built just for you? One that carries like it was a natural part of you.
I've been lucky in one that I put together from parts bought here and there that somehow feels like it was built for me by a world class builder that had all my measurements.
I always praise the cartridge, which happens to be a 338-06, but maybe it's the whole lucky package that makes it seem superior.
Who else has one that turned out like that?

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Basic Remington Model 7SS in 260 is my "go to" rifle when I feel the need - nothing flashy just ALWAYS gets the job done and I have all the confidence in it because of it.

PennDog

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think a decent scope gives me more confidence than the gun it's self.knowing that my gun is still lined in after a few bumps,and thumps,and trips in the truck means a lot.I know that some people don't like the 99s,but I like the way my old 99 handles .I have an old beat up 77 that I have full confidence in,but it just has a clubby feel.It don't really bother me though.I have killed more deer with it than any rifle I've got.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The one in my sig line...It just shoots so well, so easily...its like an extension of me.

m7 action
MullerWorks barrel, 24", 6,5X47 Lapua
B&C Stock
RB trigger at 1.5#
Leupold 3-9X40 CDS in Talley LWs

I simply enjoy it and it returns the favor with accuracy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was very "lucky" to obtain my "confidence" rifle early in my hunting life. When I was 19 and decided to obtain my first all-around deer rifle (as opposed to the close range .44 magnum "woods" rifle I already owned), I decided to build my own from a military action (which could actually be done cheaper than buying a factory rifle in those days).

I started with an FN barreled action (chambered for the .30-06) and under the watchful eye of a gunsmith friend learned to drill and tap the action, cut off and weld a scope friendly bolt and rework the wood on a cast-off military stock.

In the next few years I inlet and carved and a new stock from a nice walnut blank, learned to checker and reworked the trigger to a single stage 2 pound pull.

I probably would have rebarreled the rifle but the original military barrel produced 3/8" 5-shot groups. As I learned more about what I prefer and worked best for me, I modified the stock bit-by-bit until it feels as if it is a part of my body. It swings like a fine shotgun and at times just can't seem to miss, even on "rushed" or not perfect shots. It has made so many seemingly "miracle" shots over the years that all of my family refer to it as "The Magic Rifle".

Over the next 40 years I have kept good records and that rifle has taken 136 animals (all one shot kills) with just 2 misses (both entirely my fault...not the rifle's). I have put some 4000 rounds through that barrel (and who knows how many were fired before I got the action) and have noticed the accuracy has slipped a bit, but it will still keep 5 shots just under an inch at 100 yards.

Because of this (and the fact that I have many other rifles to choose from....unlike in those early years) I have semi-retired the old '06. However, when I am hunting a particularly good buck or just need a little boost in confidence...that's still the rifle that gets the call....every time.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My confidence in what rifle to use comes from shooting them and keeping track of how they did last.

Of course I have a current favorite however if it's raining I will look up how another older or SS one did.

Here is my 30-06 custom that's being used frequently. On 12-14-14 it put two shots into an inch at 200 yds. It's ready!

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's good to have a couple of those. My old buddy is an old beat Rem 700 BDL (currently in an ADL Ti stock) 35 Whelen. Think i'll have to put it back in to the old wood mountain rifle stock. Then it just feels right.

The second is my relatively new Kimber 84L in 280AI. That thing feels, fits, and fills me with confidence.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don,

Based on your "woods rifle" post, I thought that you only hunted Vermont deer with a Savage 99F in 358. What would you use a 30-06 for in Vermont if not for deer, bear, and/or moose?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The 99 358 is my favorite for woods hunting in VT. It's not the only gun I bring with me. These days we have those SS/Syn. rifles for rain and drillings and other neat guns.

I hunt the NE from PA thru ME. I bring more than one gun with me.

That 30-06 is a current favorite however others are too! smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nothing better for me in the N.C. Mountains than a Marlin 336. I like my other rifles but this one rules the roost.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I began hunting when I was twelve years old and am now sixty-five, over the years I have used several different rifles. In my mid-twenties I began hunting with pre'64 M/70's and have pretty much used nothing but since. I have a .257 Roberts and a .35 Whelen, I have hunted with the Whelen more than the Roberts. I shoot the Whelen more because of the wide selection of bullets. I find myself practicing during the off season with cast bullet and pistol bullet loads. My deer load utilizes 225 grain bullets which have worked fine for whitetails and shoot the most accurately of all the bullet weights available for .35 caliber.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J

My confidence rifle is a Sako AII in 308 Winchester with a Leupold VariX-II 2x7x33.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a great thread, much cleaner expression of "which is the best" when it's about personal confidence, instead of gun performance!

Savage 99's have always snapped up to my shoulder and eye perfectly, my current high confidence version is in 284 win...but I'm open to other calibers for other than deer.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Sako Finnlight in 7 mm08 wears a McMillan Sako Hunter stock and Leupy 3.5-10x40. Trigger is at 19 ozs. It is very accurate, and carries/points as good as any hunting rifle I've owned.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't hang on to confidence crushers. Ambivalent about most every common metric used to laud firearms except fit. Mine fit, boom.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've hunted big game across North America with my older Savage 99 in .308 and had much luck. Largest animals include bison and moose but were no match for well placed shots.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in 260 Remington.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still looking.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The two rifles that I shoot the best and feel most comfortable with are my Ruger M77 in 358 Win and Tikka T3 in 7mm-08.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have confidence in each of my current 32 operational rifles, as I have had them each tuned to MY specs. in all respects. After, 56 years of shooting, 50 of hunting BC, about 150 different rifles and packing a rifle all day/every day while working, I know well that the actual rifle is very seldom the issue, it is ME.

I do have a few favourites, but, I try to use them all and enjoy my collection; I have ideas about MORE, but, then, there is my "CEO".....new COUCH, sh*t, why can't we just sit on the rugs on the floor, I NEED another old Brno, P-64-70 or Dakota..... wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.