-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is the difference with the Nosler Accubond and the Nosler Ballistic tip hunting bullet.

Witch of the 2 would be better for Elk or Moose.

Thank you

I am Canadian.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The accubond is bonded and behaves very much like a partition in my experience. The ballistic tip is not bonded and comes apart more eagerly. I've used the accubond in various chamberings and found them quite satisfactory. The ballistic tips, with their lighter construction have never appealed to me and I have no experience with them.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've read here on the Fire that the NBT's are now made with heavier jackets than the earlier ones. Those had a reputation for blowing up. I quit using them back in the day and haven't started up again, as there are so many good bullet choices out there.

I agree, the NAB is a tipped NPT, practically speaking. Some claim the NPT is a bit more expansive than the NAB, but to me they're pretty close. The choice, IMO: which one the gun likes best. Critters can't tell much difference.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Both have their place.

Typically it takes very little effort to get BT's to shoot accurately. Depending on weight and caliber some are thicker jacketed than others. Mule Deer can tell you which ones. BT's can disintegrate upon impact and Nosler suggests not driving them beyond 3100 fps at impact.

AB's may require a little extra effort to shoot accurately. The bonded jacket will not separate from the core. They retain 60% of their original weight on average. They can be driven faster than the BT's with no concerns.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the BT without an issue in 7 rem mag, 308 win, and 30.06.

I used the 180 partition for the first time in the 30.06 on hogs and discovered out of 3 shots on 2 hogs that I recovered 2 bullets. Both hogs were shot under 50 yards (both under 175 lbs)so I was concerned about penetration with the partition. It may be this batch of partitions but I was not happy with the experience since I planned on using them for bigger game?

I had complete pass throughs with BT? Odd to say for sure. I do know of one incident that a 7 rem mag 140 grain bullet drilled a big doe in the chest and the deer was never found. Only bad experience I can recall with a BT in 24 years of hunting.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Check out the thread on this board originated by Kman showing 30 cal bullet tests. It has a lot more than just 30 cal bullets tested therein, and you get to see a lot of fantastic info there.

I'm pretty partial to the ballistic tip which has been greatly beefed up in the last decade or so.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
According to Nosler, the Accubond is the same bullet as the Ballistic Tip, but bonded, and with a different tip color.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
According to Nosler, the Accubond is the same bullet as the Ballistic Tip, but bonded, and with a different tip color.

I believe that to be true. When working up loads I can interchange AB's for BT's and vice versa, and tell no difference in POI. I can tell you the 7mm 120 BT and 150 BT are both very tough. Mule Deer and Dober talked me into using the BT again, after a not so good relationship with them back in the late '80's. The 150 BT performed great on a big muley buck, entering back flank and being found under the hide in off shoulder, probably 30"+ of penetration.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info.

My .300 WM is set up for 180 BT's or 180 AB's, both shoot to the same POI. I found the BT's to be slightly more accurate than the AB's.

I, too, got burned years back with BT's and moved on. I never like circling back, but may have to try these newer BT's...

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What caliber are you shooting? If you have 3300 fps or more muzzle velocity and expect to shoot inside of 300 yards, I'd probably go with the Accubond. 3200 or less, and I'd likely choose a ballistic tip, especially if it is one that is known to have a 'beefed up' jacket.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anybody know which calibers have been beefed up in the BT? I am wondering where they decided to stop, if at all. Mostly wondering if the 243, 257, and 264 calibers also received an upgrade.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The BT, being of classic cup and core construction, that seems fashionable to discount, is a great game bullet in calibers of modest velocity.
My 2 cents says that the AB's, like many of the premium bullets, begin to show their value when velocities are high, perhaps at 3,000 fps on up.
So, I'm pretty comfortable hunting with BT's out of my 300 Savage, but I prefer an AB or Partition when I'm carrying my 300 Win Mag.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I found the BT's to be slightly more accurate than the AB's.

The Nosler people said this is pretty common, apparently the bonding results in a little less consistency than the un-bonded BT.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used the 140gr BT in the 7x57Ackley and the 115gr BT in the 257Ackley most of my life and they are darn fine hunting bullets for deer. Never seen any of this "too explosive" stuff people talk about. I've probably killed over 75 deer w/the two guns w/a single shot each. If I hunted mule deer I'd probably shoot the 150gr BT in the 7x57AI and the 120 partition in the 257AI. Ditto for elk. powdr

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've shot both, rather extensively. Those thinking they'll just blow up on deer, etc might ought to re-think the issue. Nosler has tweaked just about every bullet in their BT lineup from time to time, many times on certain calibers/weights. Most of those changes that I've been aware of, seem to have toughened the bullet up a little. Some bullets have a relatively well earned reputation for toughness as a result. 7mm, 120 grain, 30 cal, 180's, and all the 338's are examples. The 338's are proven on heavy boned elk every year!

I've found AB's to behave well too, But in certain situations on deer, the BT would be the better choice. Large, high velocity rounds such as the 300 mags for example, the AB had a tendency to zip through. It would kill, for sure, but it seemed to be looking for more resistance before it mushroomed than did the BT, naturally.

Just my observations from the field.....

Bust that oil pump with either and they'll go down!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I trust AB's at high velocity and would use BT's at more conventional speed. For instance, in the 26 Nos, 140 gr. AB's do very well at 3,400 fps. New, heavier construction BT's notwithsatnding, I don't think I'll be pushing Ballistic Tips that fast.

3,000 or so would probably be my BT ceiling. Others may have different views. I find it hard to completely disassociate myself from previous BT experiences.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.