Hop To
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Gentlemen,

As the topic heading states, I am looking for advice how to identify a genuine P O Ackley Japanese Mauser action. The sidewall does not have Mr Ackley's name and Salt Lake city address but "Soyo south-paw". Soyo, Japan appear on the underside of the action flats.

The bolt diameter is circa 0.700 inches against the De Haas book dimension of 0.705 inches. Unfortunately, since the action is barrelled, it is not possible to see whether it is a C or H breech. BTW, the bottom metal has definitely been changed, along with the safety and gas shroud. The bolt looks like it is after market too.

Those who have an Ackley action, could they please offser some advice? Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remove the bolt and look from the rear. You can still tell C from H.

Adam

R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you for your reply.

I had wondered whether it would be possible to identify this this with a barrelled action when the bolt is removed. I looked through my Kimber and Dakota rifles with the bolt removed and pointing towards the light but could not see much. I then assumed this feature is only clear when dealing with the 'bare' action alone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not trying to be a wise guy but that's what flashlights are for. You shine it in the chamber end from the side and see easily.

R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Understood. I have tried shining a mini Maglite torch from the side (through the bolt extraction port) while viewing from the end of the action, 'end on' as it were. I have also tried viewing at an angle through the bolt extraction port while shining the torch from the end of the action breech / bolt end, end on.

However, with my Dakota M76 and Kimber 82, I find it difficult to make out even one slot cut, the one needed for the extractor. It all looks plain / flush to me.

I think I am suffering from a perception / focus problem, reinforced by not being absolutely clear - the geometry I am trying to see. In De Haaees book, the pictures are clear, but then again, the book shows just action pictures, not barrelled action pictures.

I will have another go. Thanks to all who have taken the time to offer advice.

IC B2

R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It turned out to be a H cut inner collar, so definitely not an original Ackley Mauser despite having SOYO Japan on the action flats / underside.

Back to quietly searching again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.