Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There is self defense other than the 2 legged kid and I've never found a 3" barreled gun that was harder to shoot well then a 1 7/8" barrel.

…I understand the argument about shoot ability, but that's is why God made K,L & N framed guns in calibers suitable for critter-shootin'……why the need for a J frame for defense against 4 legged adversaries?

Because a J frame is light enough to wear in the waistband of a pair of shorts and Desantis makes a grip for doing that for J frames.

[Linked Image]

What is suitable for critter shooting? My biggest concern here is a wild dog or a rabid raccoon. I'm guessing I could strap on 4 pounds of iron for that or ALWAYS have the Jframe, which will handle any of the critters around the 'farm' that I'm concerned with.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
There is self defense other than the 2 legged kid and I've never found a 3" barreled gun that was harder to shoot well then a 1 7/8" barrel.

…I understand the argument about shoot ability, but that's is why God made K,L & N framed guns in calibers suitable for critter-shootin'……why the need for a J frame for defense against 4 legged adversaries?

Because a J frame is light enough to wear in the waistband of a pair of shorts and Desantis makes a grip for doing that for J frames.

[Linked Image]

What is suitable for critter shooting? My biggest concern here is a wild dog or a rabid raccoon. I'm guessing I could strap on 4 pounds of iron for that or ALWAYS have the Jframe, which will handle any of the critters around the 'farm' that I'm concerned with.

….ok, but at rabid raccoon or dog attack ranges, a 3" barrel isn't going to be significantly better for me than a standard 1.8" barrel---plus if you use those grips (or clip/grips) and you're in town instead of on the farm, you've got to wear a cover garment as with a 3" barrel you can no longer just stick the gun in the front pocket of your shorts.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What if I'm in Spain? You do understand the key to killing shiet that might cause you problems it to not wait till it's in your lap, right?

Further away is always better, a 3" is easier to shoot well than a 2", all other things being equal.

I'm not worried about town for the discussion, since 98% of my concealed carry is on my property. Hell, it's nothing to not step foot off my place for a week or two.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I also don't carry guns in my pocket, other than jacket pocket at times in the winter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

1-
First off I like the 3" J-Frames much better than the 1 7/8" models. They are easier to shoot accurately a no have more velocity a win, win IMHO.

2-
The 10mm does nothing better than the 45 IMHO. A 45 +P or 45 +P+ (Super) is the better way to go IMHO and I have all of them.

3-
Never fell for the 17's either.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[Linked Image]

….ok, but at rabid raccoon or dog attack ranges, a 3" barrel isn't going to be significantly better for me than a standard 1.8" barrel---plus if you use those grips (or clip/grips) and you're in town instead of on the farm, you've got to wear a cover garment as with a 3" barrel you can no longer just stick the gun in the front pocket of your shorts.

Why can't you stick a 3" J-frame in your pocket? I can, how small are your pants?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some folks ^^^^^ dont want their revolver barrel to be the longest thing in their pants!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Why can't you stick a 3" J-frame in your pocket? I can, how small are your pants?

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Some folks ^^^^^ dont want their revolver barrel to be the longest thing in their pants!

……y'all have gone from preachin' to meddlin'…….but I have to admit, I never considered the Freudian repercussions of liking short barreled J-frames!!

Last edited by gmoats; 02/20/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One person's preacher is another person's meddler. You started it!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
#1 I carry a G20 in my pocket. Sissy boy

#2 Small frame .44mag = dumb idea. Just get a .44 special

#3 Don't get me started. 10mm best auto cartridge ever

#4 What ever floats your boat. 17s suck for coyotes

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Your gun sucks. And you're holding it wrong.

…..yea, I get that a lot……..
Doc says that you're a heck of a 3-gun shooter…..consider coming to Hornady's Zombie in Heartland shoot this year (http://www.zombiesintheheartland.com)…..it's a heck of a lot of fun…..I'll buy the first round.

Sorry gmoats, I meant that for Flave but it auto-replied to you.

It's not that I'm that good, Doc is just generous. I'd love to come up and shoot sometime. They have some big matches in Colorado every year, I'll have to meet ya halfway sometime.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My original comment was stolen from this....Every internet gun argument summed up into one post.

Your gun sucks and you’re holding it wrong.

That caliber is ineffective. You would do better to pick something bigger.

That caliber is too big / expensive. You would do better with a smaller caliber that is cheaper and gives you higher capacity.

I am not a lawyer, I have never argued a case, and in fact I tend to get confused when watching Matlock, but if you do not follow my legal advice to the T you will spend the rest of your life behind bars and that’s after you get the lethal injection while sitting on the chair.

Unless a cop hands you the ammunition from his gun, you will go to prison forever should you be forced to shoot someone in self-defense.

Your gun sucks because it’s not the same gun that every cop in the tri-state area uses and cops only use the best

You have the same gun as the cops? No wonder it sucks. They only have that gun because they got them in a bulk discount, not because it was a good gun.

The difference in grip angles between your gun and mine, which can only be measured using a protractor that uses scientific notation to denote the degrees, shows why you gun sucks and is probably why you’re holding it wrong.

The instructor for that gun class you took wasn’t in Iraq and didn’t operate with the operatingest operators and thus any training you got was worthless.

The instructor for that gun class you took was in Iraq and the techniques he taught you are not valid for civilians and thus you wasted your money.

Your gun sucks and you’re holding it wrong.

You’re holding your head too high.

You’re not holding your head high enough.

You shoot like a girl.

You wish you could shoot like a girl.

My degree is in office management and the closest I have ever come to any sort of formal, physics training was that one time I lost the remote and had to watch an episode of Nova, but let me explain in nauseating detail why a 1:9 twist rate on an 18” barrel is insufficient for the bullet weight you have selected.

Shot placement is everything. Unless you’re shooting what I shoot, which kills instantly even if it’s just a graze across the thigh.

Shooting USPSA / IDPA will get you killed in a real gun fight.

Not shooting competition means you don’t have what it takes to survive a gun fight because you won’t be accustomed to shooting under pressure.
The best way to survive a gun fight is to either not get in a gun fight, or follow the 18 paragraphs of advice I just doled out.

The length of your guide rod is wrong.

Unless you use this exact lubricant, made of purified fat from virgin baby seals, your gun will rust between shots and that’s if it doesn’t seize up on you first.

My father’s next door neighbor’s son knew a guy who thought about going to Police Academy, plus I’ve been pulled over numerous times; thus I know the law inside and out and you can’t do what you’ve already done a hundred times before and here’s the law, 706.2 HB Subsection D paragraph 4 that is about penalties for failing to pick up after your dog.

Let me deduce your every problem by the one blurry picture you posted along with your description which suffered a dangling participle and several typos. Don’t argue with me because I am using the vast physics knowledge I obtained by reviewing MacGyver reruns frame by frame.

The way you carry your gun is wrong.

The way you do your politics about guns is wrong.

I took my AR out to the range, hit the edge of the target at 100 yards TWICE and thus the only accurate configuration is mine. Unless you have the exact hand guard, butt stock, front sight post and each and every aftermarket accoutrement that I do, you will not achieve the same accuracy. Plus, you’re holding the rifle wrong.

Your trigger, in a configuration that would make both Heisenberg and Schrödinger cry, is simultaneously too light for a carry gun and too heavy to be accurate.

Lab tests using Jell-O prove that this particular bullet, with a round flat hollow point low-ogive nose is better than yours, which doesn’t have the low-ogive. Plus, shooting Jell-O is as close to real life as you can get.

And finally

Your gun sucks. An you’re holding it wrong.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
One person's preacher is another person's meddler. You started it!

…..yeah, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, am I.

….don't know if you got my email…..tomorrow has been cancelled……well……there will sill be a tomorrow, just not an IDPA shoot at NOCO due to the impending storm…..see you next month at Otto Rd or perhaps next week in Cheyenne when my buddy comes for a visit.
G

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
My original comment was stolen from this....Every internet gun argument summed up into one post...

...And finally

Your gun sucks. An you’re holding it wrong.

Well, damn, you just put up and ridiculed all my best arguments that I was about to post in refutation of gmoats' OP...

But anyways:

1. I like 1-7/8" J-frames AND 3" J-frames. I put laser grips on 'em and they shoot damn fine groups out to 30+ yards if I keep the little red dot thingie bouncin' on the part of the target I wanna hit...

2. I LIKE my 5-shot 44 Magnum Model 69. It kicks pretty hard with full-house 240's, though. So I load it with sorta middle-of-the-spectrum bullets. It's a comfortabler woodswalkin' gun than my N-frame 44 Mags, and it's got enough power I'd take a poke at a deer or hog with it if I had the opportunity.

3. I think the 10mm sucks. It's the answer to a question that was never really asked. If I can't get what I want out of a 45 ACP (Glock 30 or 1911 or SIG P220, they all work fine) then I'll get a 460 Rowland. And since a 460 Rowland is next on my handgun bucket list, that pretty much solves that issue for me.

4. Don't care one way or 'nuther about the 17's. I got a couple 204 Rugers, a couple .223's, a .22-250, a couple .22 WMR's, a bunch of .22 LR's, but I've never felt the need to drop down below the .204.

Oh, and Greg... your gun sucks and you're holding it wrong. wink

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Well, I surely have no quarrels with 1,2, & 3 & actually, agree pretty wholeheartedly, but the Hornady 17 is a good 200 yard round if if you need a 200 yard gun.

MM

Gmoats is one of most decent and knowledgeable guys around here, so this is what you get when a nice guy tries to create a controversy: A non-controversy. smirk

Not to worry, Travis/Clarke makes up for his gmoats' shortcomings............ laugh

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of you suck cause you don't get to hunt with me except one of ya...the rest...GFY wink My 4" 651 just plain kills stuff deader than your 17, 45 or 10 mm.

How is that for controversy. grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jwp475

1-
First off I like the 3" J-Frames much better than the 1 7/8" models. They are easier to shoot accurately a no have more velocity a win, win IMHO.

2-
The 10mm does nothing better than the 45 IMHO. A 45 +P or 45 +P+ (Super) is the better way to go IMHO and I have all of them.

3-
Never fell for the 17's either.

On the other hand, does the 45 do anything better than a 10mm does?

I might be prejudiced toward the 10mm, based on the idea that most of my hand gun shooting is at targets from 25 yds to 50 yds, with a large minority of target work done at 100 yds to 130 yds.

And then Bob comes along and we start shooting out to 500 yds and beyond.

Admittedly this is revolver work. But when I consider a pistol cartridge, I will use this criteria, as this is the ONLY actual use I have for a handgun.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Most of this is for not as handguns come in a distant third to rifles and shotguns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe in your neighborhood wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I like 3" J-frames - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...

….while I appreciate the zen-nature of your answer, I don't get the "why"?

Zen is where it's at - Colt Single Action Army, Browning High Power, S&W Model 19, S&W Mountain Gun, Colt 1911A1, Chief's Special Target:

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.