Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by P_Weed
The reason a S&W J-Frame revolver with a 3" barrel is considered a pocket pistol
is because it's often hard to find holsters for them.

Everyone makes leather for 2 1/8" snubbies but few build them for 3" versions.

A S&W J-Frame revolver with a 3" barrel - makes a perfect Kit Gun.

Simply Rugged makes a fine holster for the 3" J Frame .38 Spec. Here is mine. That's a 3" Heavy Barrel, shoots very well and is mighty handy to carry.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by Scott F
Except for the 17s I agree completely. The old 17 AH was in my opinion the finest sage rat killer ever born. I never had one but have abruptly ended the life of a bunch of sage rats with a friends 17 AH.

….ok, I understand that when you've had success with something, you tend to think that it's the best……I just can't figure out (on paper) what any .17 does, that something else doesn't do better or cheaper. Where I live, one of those little .17's may wind up in Utah or Nebraska depending upon which way the wind is blowing.

I have used a 22 hornet, 22 K-hornet, and a 22 BR on sage rats. All kill them dead and none killed then deader that any other but the most fun I have had was with 17 AH. It lower sound does not spook the rats and I have taken four off a single mound shooting left to right with the little 17. The 22 BR would put then back in their holes with the first shot. The other thing even the 22 hornet has enough muzzel flip so you cannot see the bullet strike. The 17 AH I have ennd the rat explode.

So, I am in no way saying any one is better that the other, just I have more fun with the 17 and since I reload every centerfire I shoot finding ammunition is a non issue.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by P_Weed
The reason a S&W J-Frame revolver with a 3" barrel is considered a pocket pistol
is because it's often hard to find holsters for them.

Everyone makes leather for 2 1/8" snubbies but few build them for 3" versions.

A S&W J-Frame revolver with a 3" barrel - makes a perfect Kit Gun.

Simply Rugged makes a fine holster for the 3" J Frame .38 Spec. Here is mine. That's a 3" Heavy Barrel, shoots very well and is mighty handy to carry.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

Yeah - the "no one makes leather for..." argument rarely flies with me anymore. If the gun works for you, there is a competent holster maker or several who will make you a good holster for it. Or if you are even a little crafty, it's easy to make your own in kydex. Either a guy likes a gun or he doesn't, but no one should blame holster availability these days.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
….Nah. I had a 2 1/2" 19. I could/can shoot the 3" 60 better than it - even with the same loads. If I'm gonna pack the larger frame, it might as well have the larger barrel. The 60as makes a great hills gun.
One of the problems with anecdotal evidence is that everyone's experiential "proof" is contrary to everyone else's……i.e. the very first revolver that I personally purchased was a 2 1/2" Model 19. It was the most incredibly accurate revolver that I've ever owned (up to this point). I realized the folly of those words as I have no idea how consistently precise it was chamber to chamber; it was 1972 and I was a college kid with no range equipment and little knowledge (now at least I have range equipment). Unfortunately I needed $ and sold it a year later, but In the ensuing 43 years, I've owned 4 longer barreled Model 19's (that I can remember off the top of my head), but I could shoot none of them as well as that 2 1/2" gun. The land where we're building our place/range is on the edge of the Snowy Range Mountains and there have been occasional bear, frequent Mt. Lion and even two bonified wolf sightings. My "hills gun" is a 2 1/2" Model 66. It's not heavy compared to anything that I normally carry except a 642. It rides high on the belt and protrudes very little below the belt with an OWB holster, making a great concealed carry gun with a light cover garment. In short, it seems to do everything that I want done……..perfectly. Unfortunately, my "proof" is irrelevant for anyone else, i.e. you shoot a 3" J-frame better than you shot your 2 1/2" K.

The L-frame .44 mag looks great for the same reasons. Should be a great vertical stroll gun for those who want a big bore. Only if you can actually shoot it with something warmer than hot .44 special loads though. Otherwise, the fact that it's only less than 2 oz lighter than a steel 1911 makes it kind of pointless in my book.
…..I'm not sure what "vertical stroll" means, but at my current state of gravity enhancement, I'm pretty sure that my days of strolling that way are gone. I still don't get the Model 69……for a "carrying around" gun the 3" 629 Talo gun seems to beat the 69 in every measurable way. It's only two frickin' onces heavier and is a full inch shorter which would make it more pleasant to both carry and shoot in my opinion ( or "comfortabler" as Doc put it). Why give up a round for 2 oz. of weight and one inch of barrel?? Quite honestly I'm thinking that the "Mountain Gun" is close to the perfect compromise.

Vertical stroll = mountain hiking. I was pretty sure I learned that from a Wyoming native. wink

It's probably folly for me to comment on any .44mag, since I've never owned one (have shot a few though). But it seems to me that if a guy can't get the job done with five rounds of .44 mag, one more probably ain't gonna help. I am not one to argue over the "carryability " of an N-frame versus an L frame, since I see no need for either in my life - but it seems to me that there may be guys who like the fit of the smaller frame with it's narrower cylinder better. For those guys, the 69 probably makes some sense.

Personally - as I implied - I have no use for either for general carry. Were I going to hunt with a handgun again, I might consider the 69 - but I'd probably be looking for another inch of barrel. But just packin' in the woods for protection against other-than-grizzly? I hear all this talk about lightweight .44 mags being carried with light loads (.44spl) because they're a pain to shoot with mag loads. Might as well be packin' a 1911, says I.

G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
...it seems to me that if a guy can't get the job done with five rounds of .44 mag, one more probably ain't gonna help...it seems to me that there may be guys who like the fit of the smaller frame with it's narrower cylinder better….But just packin' in the woods for protection against other-than-grizzly? I hear all this talk about lightweight .44 mags being carried with light loads (.44spl) because they're a pain to shoot with mag loads. Might as well be packin' a 1911, says I.

+1 on the 1911
Re: "other than grizzly" comment------Having never been attacked by a bear, I can't argue empirically, however logic would seem to dictate that there are a couple of absolute truths concerning being attacked by a bear:
1. You would want more, not less ammunition (ie. you're not on fire or under water).
2. Recoil would be WAY down the list of undesirable gun-related issues concerning you at the moment.
3. Having a gun would trump the precision-accuracy of the gun.
All of those seem to lean toward a 6 shot, Scandium framed, short barreled N-frame versus a 5 shot, steel-framed, longer barreled L-frame.

Of course, my reasoning could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...it seems to me that if a guy can't get the job done with five rounds of .44 mag, one more probably ain't gonna help...it seems to me that there may be guys who like the fit of the smaller frame with it's narrower cylinder better….But just packin' in the woods for protection against other-than-grizzly? I hear all this talk about lightweight .44 mags being carried with light loads (.44spl) because they're a pain to shoot with mag loads. Might as well be packin' a 1911, says I.

+1 on the 1911
Re: "other than grizzly" comment------Having never been attacked by a bear, I can't argue empirically, however logic would seem to dictate that there are a couple of absolute truths concerning being attacked by a bear:
1. You would want more, not less ammunition (ie. you're not on fire or under water).
2. Recoil would be WAY down the list of undesirable gun-related issues concerning you at the moment.
3. Having a gun would trump the precision-accuracy of the gun.
All of those seem to lean toward a 6 shot, Scandium framed, short barreled N-frame versus a 5 shot, steel-framed, longer barreled L-frame.

Of course, my reasoning could be wrong.

Pretty sure I agree with that - coming from the same qualification. wink

The whole grizzly issue could raise a lot of other argument, if you like. I prefer to watch form the sidelines - but I note that there is a wide range of experience between the grizzly that was killed with a 9mm pistol (that guy had some nerve!) and those who won't rely on anything short of a big-bore carbine.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...but it seems to me that there may be guys who like the fit of the smaller frame with it's narrower cylinder better. For those guys, the 69 probably makes some sense.

The L-frame cylinder is 0.108" less in diameter than the N-frame. I'd get an N-frame with a thinner holster and call it even.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JOG
...but it seems to me that there may be guys who like the fit of the smaller frame with it's narrower cylinder better. For those guys, the 69 probably makes some sense.

The L-frame cylinder is 0.108" less in diameter than the N-frame. I'd get an N-frame with a thinner holster and call it even.

….there you go, using reason and logic again JOG……the heart wants what the heart wants……some people want a 5 shot, comparatively long barreled .44 mag….hey, Cindy Crawford wanted to marry Lyle Lovett…who are we to rain on their parade with a little objectivity!! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The 69 is cool but it's still too heavy for a backpacking rig.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
The 69 is cool but it's still too heavy for a backpacking rig.

Travis

+1

Pretty sure that the guy who buys a 69 isn't making that decision based purely on practicality. But I'd never say he has to.

It makes more sense to me than a Judge though. smirk

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Putting your dick in a wood clamp makes more sense than a Judge.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

'flave always speaks from firsthand experience. One would be wise to heed this one.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cindy Crawford wanted to marry Lyle Lovett…who are we to rain on their parade with a little objectivity!! :-)

Wasn't that Julia Roberts? Anyhow, neither woman is too thick nor too heavy to take backpacking.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JOG
Cindy Crawford wanted to marry Lyle Lovett…who are we to rain on their parade with a little objectivity!! :-)

Wasn't that Julia Roberts? Anyhow, neither woman is too thick nor too heavy to take backpacking.

….by golly, you're right……now leave me alone while I look for danged wood clamp…..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Irwin Quick-Grip.

Hint.

Travis

G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Irwin Quick-Grip.

Hint.

Travis

…..what's the widest size available in non-metric calibration??

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Travis

Flave is spot on!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

Most of the time I'd agree with you, but on rare occasions there cute Judges. smirk Oh wait different judge

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jwp475

Travis

Flave is spot on!

I knew I wasn't the only guy to put his dick in a wood clamp.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irwin Quick-Grip.

Hint.

Travis

…..what's the widest size available in non-metric calibration??

If you're gonna do it - do it right....

http://www.woodpeck.com/bessey10whc.html

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

72 members (808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, Amos63, 14 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.