Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've been looking forward to the Ruger Lightweight Commander 1911 since I bought my first 5" steel SR1911 back in '11. I got the first one through the door at my local shop this afternoon, and I'm happy and impressed. The fit and finish out of the box are excellent: no burrs or sharp edges where they're not supposed to be, and the machining is crisp and the finish tasteful. Barrel to slide lockup is tight, and barrel to frame fit is smooth with just a bit of sideways wobble when the slide is down which is just fine by me.

It was nice weather this afternoon so I went to the range. I dry fired the gun a few dozen times, sprayed it with Ballistol (it came from Ruger pretty dry) and loaded up the two 7-round magazines Ruger had included. Long story short, 100 rounds of 230gr FMJ (Winchester white box) went down the pipe and there were no failures of any kind. The sights are right on at 10 yards, and once I adapted my hold to the very slim factory grips I was able to hold pretty decent groups given the sights (three dot Novak's: quality pieces but I can't stand dots on a rear sight). The only bobble from the gun was a slight loosening of the grip panels, but a quick twist with a hex bit solved that issue. The grooves on the front strap, while not as grabby as checkering, are pretty good at settling the gun down and by the end of the range session they'd worn a bit of a welt on the third finger of my right (gun) hand.

All in all a nice lightweight Commander at an afforable price. If you're in the market for one, it'll be hard to beat. Unlike comparable Kimbers, it has the standard guide rod and the Series 70 fire control system, both of which I prefer over the Kimber/Swartz and full-length guide rods of the Kimber Commanders.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice review and a nice looking pistol. Wish I could warm up to 1911's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy has been eyeing one of those. I'll have to show him your review. Maybe it will push him over the edge! smile

(Hope so. I want to shoot one!) whistle wink

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How is the titanium ramp secured - is there a screw head under the slide release?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
No screw head that I can see.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Dry from Ruger? Another automatic vote for cleaning and inspecting a new gun before it's first trip to the range.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Now if only they would shorten the handle about a half inch I would be all over it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My LGS got one in last week. Nice, tight lockup, and I especially like the new slim grips and checkered front strap. Good price, too. Only thing I dis-liked was the Factury Novac type sights were NOT night sights. I'd own one if I didn't already own several Lightweight Commanders.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd settle for them ramping up production of these Commanders. I may "need" a second one...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not shot one, but have handled one & it seems to be a very nice gun, absent the opportunity to take it down for a full inspection..........pretty hard to beat for the price. Trigger was excellent.

Only real negative is no tritium sights, but that would raise the price a tad, but would be well worth the extra $$$.

MM

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I prefer them not to come with night sights as most factory night sights are a three dot setup which I really don't like. If they did a single tritium dot up front with a plain black rear sight I'd pay extra for it. But not otherwise. By installing plain Novak's Ruger is at least ensuring that buyers don't have to replace expensive sights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no problem at all with either 3 dots or straight 8's..........I don't care for the setup you describe in full darkness.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For close range shooting it is hard to beat the XS Big Dot Tritium with V Rear. Photo of my S&W 40 Shield

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like the XS sight setup, though I'd prefer the rear blade to be serrated flat black. Sights are a very individual thing; some like a busy rear sight. I don't. Great thing is, there is a sight out there for just about any set of eyes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd like to see glock's "ball in the bucket" sights done in. Tritium

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been very impressed with the Ruger 1911's. I have yet to see the LW Commander, but all of the other Ruger's have all looked excellently built, and I haven't ran into one that didn't work yet. I tend to think the Ruger is one of the best buy's out there in a 1911.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

535 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,358
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.