-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Weatherby Mk V that I just purchased a B&C Medalist stock for. It has the aluminum bedding block. My question is about glassing. Is it advisable to do so with a bedding block, or a waste of resources.

Want to do this right, but don't want to do more than is needed.

Thanks,
300winnie

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One would like to assume that all is square, but that is not always the case. Just check it.

I have a Mark V that exhibited evidence of stress at the range. The barrel had been floated, but I was suspect on the action. Since ones scope mounts span the action, I thought a bore sighter might provide an answer.

Installed my bore sighter and made note of the cross hair coordinates with the scope at it's highest power. With the sighter still in place, I carefully loosened and tightened the action screws and flexing was quite evident with checks of the bore sighter. Glassed the action in a fully relaxed state. Now nothing moves as one torques down or loosens the screws, and it shoots extremely well.

Heating or inconsistent torque if one assembled or disassembled a rifle for cleaning would obviously affect point of impact.

Not a measure that I can quantify, but I'd speculate it's quite sensitive.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/15.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
One would like to assume that all is square, but that is not always the case. Just check it.

I have a Mark V that exhibited evidence of stress at the range. The barrel had been floated, but I was suspect on the action. Since ones scope mounts span the action, I thought a bore sighter might provide an answer.

Installed my bore sighter and made note of the cross hair coordinates with the scope at it's highest power. With the sighter still in place, I carefully loosened and tightened the action screws and flexing was quite evident with checks of the bore sighter. Glassed the action in a fully relaxed state. Now nothing moves as one torques down or loosens the screws, and it shoots extremely well.

Heating or inconsistent torque if one assembled or disassembled a rifle for cleaning would obviously affect point of impact.

Not a measure that I can quantify, but I'd speculate it's quite sensitive.

I purchased a BellCarlson with aluminum bedding block for a Zastava Whitworth, (Mouser) The bedding block was not true to my action so I took a dremel and removed enouph material to glass bed it. Mouser actions vary somewhat. The stock you have might be a much better fit being for a weatherby.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I skim bed all my stocks with bedding blocks around the recoil lug area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago, I had a 270 built on a Mauser action. The stock was a B&C Medalist with the aluminum bedding block. Long story short, before all was said and done the rifle benefited from being glass bedded.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Mine are bedded

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 300Winnie
I have a Weatherby Mk V that I just purchased a B&C Medalist stock for. It has the aluminum bedding block. My question is about glassing. Is it advisable to do so with a bedding block, or a waste of resources.

Thanks,
300winnie

shoot it first, then decide.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by toad

Thanks,
300winnie

+1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by toad

Thanks,
300winnie

+2 ... If it shoots to your satisfaction without the glass bedding, save the time and $$$'s...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle actions are mass produced. There are tolerances involved especially in machined parts like actions that are heat treated. There is a chance that your bedding block will fit your action perfectly but a much larger chance that it won't. Shoot it and see if you are happy. If not a little Dremel and drill work and a teaspoon of bedding material is about all it takes to fix it up.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Cooper Excaliber that has the B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block. It came bedded from the Factory. Cooper evidently thinks it is necessary.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bedding a B&C with aluminum took 1/2 moa out of my CZ550.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 15 invisible), 964 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.