-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone fish the Naknek River for Silvers in Late August early Sept. My fishing buddy is trying to get a few of us to fly in for a week of fishing. We are both experienced Michigan Salmon Fly anglers, Alaska has the scenery but kind of pricey for a week of fishing compared to Michigan which is free since I have my own boat and lodging. How great is the fishing and is that a good week are there other locations we should consider?
Any input greatly appreciated.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have my own boat and lodging

bring em with and save some money.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing some of Alaska's more remote rivers (getting away from combat fishing) can spoil a guy. I've seen more than a few people who, after a few days, decided to look for bears in 'the glass' in order to give their arms a break. Then again, weather and run timing can make fishing a challenge at times. The Naknek is south of us a ways and my only familiarity is the fishing reports on public radio which include it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Timing is everything. I've fished there and it was amazing. Lots of Rainbows that time of year. Black mirabou jig with silver yes!!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Naknek has some fantastic fishing for both salmon and trout. It is a large river and you will spend some time fishing from a boat to be real effective. Just a thought, but if I was wanting to target silvers up here I would think about going to Yakutat that time of year. The Situk, Italio, and Tsiu all have huge runs of silvers. When you get tired of catching so many silvers you can go out on the salt and load up on halibut. Like I said its just a thought but I've been to both places and I really love the fishing in Yakutat.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO the trips to AK are as much for being there and scenery..

If you are worried about cost, I think you might be better off being home.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
300Savage,

I have fished for salmon in several places in the Lower 48, from Oregon to New York, and have yet to encounter anything remotely comparable to Alaska.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I never fished the Naknek but used to guide on the Kvichak. Both are know for their huge rainbows. September is definately the time for those. There are rivers with better runs of silvers but you should have no problem catching fish. Sounds like a great trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lived in Yakutat and King Salmon and I will second the suggestion to head for Yakutat as the rivers mentioned are better for Silvers. If you want big Rainbows as well, then the Naknek is a great choice. Anything black or purple for the rainbows and take 'em up to Lake Camp, Trefon's Cabin area.

It's not the destination...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't overlook rivers that offer chum fishing opportunities close to the salt either. Bright chums can be absolute bulls when it comes to a fight and the bright fish make great table fare.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed Klik, I've never tried eating em, but I do love battling fresh chums.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Naknek is a very big river. You will basically have to fish from a boat. The silvers are very spotty most of the time. There are much better silver streams to be found in the Bristol Bay Area that are much easier to fish. The Naknek does have huge rainbows. Except for a few spots, you will need a boat for them as well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To follow up on last post...... The Nak is a great river. I hear that the rainbow fishing continues to improve. It is now known as a place to catch a mega rainbow. They were there 15 years ago but were not common. There are plenty of silvers that run through the Nak but they are not always easy to locate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can be a lot of fun, but I'm not much on eating dogs, except out of necessity....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't say anything about dogs, a chrome-bright Chum ain't no dog. About the worst thing that can be said about them is that their flesh pales when cooked, compared to other salmon. And they don't deteriorate as fast as silvers often do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chrome chum is as good as almost any other salmon and hardly something to turn one's nose up at. Compared to pellet-fed farmed crap they are outstanding.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not telling someone what they think good is, but I only prefer chums/dogs to pinks and I don't eat pinks at all and I never catch pinks on purpose.

I'm fortunate in that I eat king salmon as often as I want and use reds when I want something a bit different. I've tried chums out of the salt water and onto a grill (also had them baked and fried) and would say that's the best way I've had chums, but I'd prefer a similarly prepared king or red or silver to a chum and in that order. To each his own...... And yes we cut chrome chums into dog food......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you could find your way to the Ilnik River, about 160 miles south of the Naknek you will be in silver heaven.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
King Salmon River near Painter Creek and I think Mother Goose Lake is littered with Silvers as is Egagik.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.