Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Conceability in lieu of shootability, or vice versa?

Capacity over bore size?

Let's face it no gun is perfect, we all make concessions

For me personally. While the micro guns are nice. My hands are too big to shoot them well. Even as much as I love my J frame. I have to put full length grips on them.

For me, my own "best choice" for a CCW gun is a mid size Glock, caliber not a concern, as I don't buy into the theory that anything other than a micro gun can't be concealed well.
I don't subscribe to pocket carry and have yet to find a circumstance where, in normal everyday street dress I can't conceal a " shootable" handgun in a proper holster.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reliability at the expense of all others. After that, concealability, then shootability, then a trade off of capacity and performance.

I carry one of three, daily. A 5-shot revolver, a 1911, or a BHP. For me, those three meet all my requirements well and I have confidence in them.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I should have mentioned reliability, but if it isn't reliable it shouldn't even be a consideration

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reliability and shootability first & second in that order. I'm big enough I can usually conceal just about any average size handgun. I'm usually packing either a Lightweight Commander in .45acp or my Glock 32 in .357 sig. And probably 95% of the time! I'm also packing a S&W Bodyguard in .38 special in my left front pocket as a BUG.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/22/15. Reason: Spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I favor shootability under extreme stress, and reasonably effective ballistics. Glock full-size 9mm/40/45.

I don't have any pocket pistols.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First I find something with a big enough grip to shoot easily, then something short enough to get covered by a tshirt when carried OWB.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I find something that says Glock and stick it in my waistband.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

This.

Usually it will be a glock 19 with a spare mag or two. It will get you through the night.

Dink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I put 150 more rounds through this little SOB today and it's easily becoming my favorite. It's fed everything I've put through it flawless so far other than cheap steel cased Tula.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yadda yadda yadda, glock 36.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reliability is a given so no discussion there.

Shootability & feel; no fan of small semiautos in the least.

Commander 1911, G19 & a Beretta 92 Compact are the three that get the most use. No concealment issue with any of the 3 including with shorts & a T-shirt in the summer.

9mm is the bottom end of the caliber spectrum for a primary.

A S&W 442 as a bug or standalone pocket gun as needed.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

This.

Usually it will be a glock 19 with a spare mag or two. It will get you through the night.

Dink

Pretty hard to beat! I'm not a 9mm fan, and I much prefer my Glock 32 in .357 sig caliber to a Glock 19, though. But the Glock 19 is easier and cheaper to buy ammo for, and has less recoil for those who are recoil sensitive.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ranking my preferences:

1. Concealability. I like micros. But it has to shoot a 9mm or bigger. (I'd carry a .380, but I'm too lazy to reload for it, and too cheap to buy factory ammo).

2. Shootability. Night sights are a must, and I have to be able to hit where I'm aiming at.

3. Capacity. I like an auto with an extra mag, but don't feel vulnerable with "only" a revolver.

4. Cartridge. Pretty much anything .380 and above works for me.

With those as the order of my criteria, I typically carry a Kahr PM9. If not that, then it's a 4" Kimber 1911. 3rd place is my G23 but with its 9mm barrel (sometimes I don't carry an extra mag with the G23, since I'm already carrying 16 in the gun).

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Let's face it no gun is perfect, we all make concessions

There are plenty of perfect handguns, but I might have to make a some concessions to what I wear.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Reliability and, when necessary, concealability are the two biggies for me....everything else can shake out after that.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Concealability first...First rule of winning a gunfight, Have a gun. This within reason however...no mouse guns. 38spl and above, beyond that caliber is only marginally important.

Second...shot placement, so I guess shootability. This really isnt the gun as much as the shooter, but the design of the gun does play into it.

Reliability third, important, but realistically one or two shots in most gun fights and it will be over.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Panache! I don't care if it goes off...if I die...it has to be with a .45 in my hand!

Seriously, reliability is #1, Accuracy is #2, Power is #3.

Many guns fit that bill for me. But I won't carry a gun for any reason at any time, that I can't make single shot with, into a 6" circle and 25 yards.

Many people can shoot 2" groups all day long, but if you put a 6" circle at 25 yards, with no target backing and ask them to hit it off hand, you'd be surprised how many miss it the first time.

Oh...and I hate the way Glocks look and feel...but one of the most accurate semi-auto pistols I ever fired (except for custom target guns) was a Glock long slide in .40 caliber. I still hate'em though.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that we are in a golden age of handguns where one does not have to sacrifice very much of anything. Expanding CCW laws and the now expired 1994 AWB that restricted magazine capacity set off a technology explosion in duty caliber handguns. The ground breaking Glock 26/27 gave us compact firearms with decent “normal capacity” and the ability to use larger capacity magazines from their service sized big brothers. In turn, other manufacturers looking for market share built other things that were even smaller and lighter with decent ergonomics. Even the revolver makers got on board with new frame alloys. The ammo makers have enhanced ammo performance for the CCW market, including ammo for non-duty calibers such as the .380. Finally, the holster makers got on board and worked with new materials and new designs to heighten concealment.

I am not that much of a capacity freak. I guess that is because I started out with revolvers and speedloaders. Just switching to an autoloader usually ups the capacity and definitely increases the ease and speed of reloading for most shooters.

For carrying concealed, my priority is concealment. But, it no longer is all that difficult to hide a “three finger” or “two and a half finger” gun in a serious caliber with higher capacity reloads. With a slight bit of warning a magazine swap can occur before the action begins. The newer guns are all rather “shootable,” even the micros if they have good sights (and fit one's hand size). What will change are shot to shot recovery times. While guns and ammo certainly can affect these, so can practice.

I agree with the OP's general firearm size parameters. A micro in 9mm makes a good backup or deep cover concealment rig.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think anything reliable in the Glock 19 sized platform is a good compromise for autos.

I think the L and K frames are about perfect in a revolver. As long as the barrel is 3" ish.

If all I'm wearing is swim trunks I think J-frames and LCR's are the only options. I don't like pocket autos.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

If all I'm wearing is swim trunks I think J-frames and LCR's are the only options. I don't like pocket autos.

NAA Pug for a hot tub gun. Inspired by TRH and a wisecrack that I made to the guy with the black powder dragoon in the pirate rig, I put some ammo in a glass of water for 3 days and they all fired the same as dry ammo. A Pug in the hand beats a .45 in a seal-a-meal bag. Free tip for the day. (No, I do not carry in the hot tub.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.