Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi,

I have an old remington 700 in 7mm mag that I'm thinking about building off of for my first custom bolt gun. I realize that like most things you get what you pay for, but in the custom rifle game, there also appears to be a function of getting what brand name is stamped on the barrel.

I'm looking for a reputable good builder. If there's someone out there, and they're the best and the most expensive, that's great and I'd like to discuss the build with them. If there's someone out there cheaper, and they can build an equal quality rifle, even better. what I'd like to do is go with a .300 win mag, in a set up similar to the GAP non typical rifle.

the remington 700 I have has some sentimental value which is why I want to keep that action. I realize there are better actions available out there, but I want to stick with this one.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Gradous rifles.

Jon Beanland.

Greg Tannel

Short Action Customs

Clay Spencer

Gap..........

all these are very good, I'm sure others can add to the list, for pure accuracy and the best fit and finish I'd personally call Robert Gradous!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Gradous rifles.

Jon Beanland.

Greg Tannel

Short Action Customs

Clay Spencer

Gap..........

all these are very good, I'm sure others can add to the list, for pure accuracy and the best fit and finish I'd personally call Robert Gradous!

And Chad Dixon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again I chime in with you don't get what you pay for. You get what you shop for. I recently had a Savage rebarreled and chambered and my Weatherby Mark V six lug rifle rebarreled and chambered and had a recoil pad installed. Also on the Weatherby the 'smith also had to open up the feed rails from what was built for a .25-06 to a 9.3X64 blown out so it looks exactly like a .257 Weatherby without a belt. This also includes threading both barrels for brakes.

For his work which included rebarreling, threading and chambering, brake threading, opening the raiksm and recoil pad, the gunsmith charged $875. His name is Rick at R&R Gunworks. The phone number is 1(541)826-3627.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kyle1974
Hi,

I have an old remington 700 in 7mm mag that I'm thinking about building off of for my first custom bolt gun. I realize that like most things you get what you pay for, but in the custom rifle game, there also appears to be a function of getting what brand name is stamped on the barrel.

I'm looking for a reputable good builder. If there's someone out there, and they're the best and the most expensive, that's great and I'd like to discuss the build with them. If there's someone out there cheaper, and they can build an equal quality rifle, even better. what I'd like to do is go with a .300 win mag, in a set up similar to the GAP non typical rifle.

the remington 700 I have has some sentimental value which is why I want to keep that action. I realize there are better actions available out there, but I want to stick with this one.

You're in TX? Charlie Sisk.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gradous rifles.

Jon Beanland.

Greg Tannel

Short Action Customs

Clay Spencer

Gap..........

Those are all certainly good I'm sure. I have two rifles built within the last year by Jon Beanland and I can vouch that he does exceptional work. I supplied all the parts and he put them together, the price he charged me was certainly fair in my opinion.

Based upon my experience with him he'd be the first one I'd call again if I wanted to do another build.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Kevin Weaver has done a few for me - quality work, good communication, fast turn times......

Karl Kampfeld - perfectionist, but a multi year wait

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 4ager
Hi,

yes, I'm in Texas. Where is he located?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dayton.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Send it to Eddie Fosnaugh.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
Hi,

yes, I'm in Texas. Where is he located?

Call Charlie -

400 County Road 2340 | Dayton, Texas 77535 | (936) 258-4984

Me

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Derrick at Horizon Customs in College Station is putting out some good stuff.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Redneck, Eddie and Karl here on the Fire all do excellent work. Chad Dixon at Longrifles is great as well...

Buy once, cry once.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have several from Chad Dixon at LongRifles, Inc. Awesome work and great outside the box thinking. Check out his Rem 700 group buy on Sniper's Hide. Very good pricing. And, think weeks not months/years to get your completed rifle back.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Longrifles inc seems to do good accurate machine work and really pretty bedding jobs ,and while his group buy is reasonable his bedding and stock fitting prices are not ,starting at $750.00 + the price for a stock and that's before pad and paint, and I realize he probably spends a fair amount of time on the fitting most guys don't need this level of fit and finish in a fiberglass stock and can have a rifle that is just as accurate by having a bedding job for under $300.00....ymmv

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got a jim kobe rifle back. Just getting it broke in, jim has been VERY patient with me and my questions on the gun. His prices are great, and he's a helluva nice guy to boot.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Call Barry Davis in Bayfield Colorado. Micro Groups is what he goes by.

Perfectionist, afforable and extremely fast turnaround.

If you need his number, PM me, then thank me later.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Gradous rifles.

Jon Beanland.

Greg Tannel

Short Action Customs

Clay Spencer

Gap..........

Any real smith should be able to do something as simple as screwing a tube on an action. The real measure of a smith should be how they handle a gun that they built that shoots like crap. I had a bad experience with two builders on that list. Turned into a cluster F both times...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Greg Tannel

IF you have issues there's always tikka..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any real smith should be able to do something as simple as screwing a tube on an action. The real measure of a smith should be how they handle a gun that they built that shoots like crap. I had a bad experience with two builders on that list. Turned into a cluster F both times...

That was my only experience with a $3,000 Brown; after I supplied the action. What a joke!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,364 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.