Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mauserfan
Absolute dipshit. Any head shot is extremely risky at best. Really only advisable when no other shot is available while trying to put a wounded animal down. There are a quite a number of these guys out there that lack woods smarts and any type of reasoning ability. Disgusted.
Darrel Wick

I may have been aiming for a chess shot. But due to is inability to hit it in the ear.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

You've stated the problem succinctly without even realizing it; you believe ethics are a matter of individual perspective when that is the exact opposite of ethics. Out of curiosity do you run the rest of your life in a similar fashion? You, you, you with every decision rationalized with you at the center of it all? People like yourself do the rest of the hunting community a huge disservice. Whether you think or can hit at that range demonstrates no small amount of skill and an equal amount of luck but it isn't part of the sporting ethic which it seems you don't know much about. Just because one can does not mean one should. When you actually understand this you will be on the road to ethical behavior.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by rost495
My heads are limited to 300 yards where I feel comfortable in conditions, gropu size and error size plus time of flight.

Time of flight is a rarely discussed topic.

Time of flight is the main reason I quit shooting at animals past 300 yards or so.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wasn’t there another video floating around here on the forum of a (called) 700 yard antelope head shot?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Wasn’t there another video floating around here on the forum of a (called) 700 yard antelope head shot?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SKane
whistle whistle

Schit stirrer!!

Well, not entirely - just started seeing the OP around after a lengthy hiatus and would hate for anyone to have missed his magnificent display of sporting ethics.

Oh, a thoughtful schit stirrer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a head shot gone wrong and since this was a shotgun state it was relatively short range,, nostril shot off and destroyed everything above the upper palate which allowed him to eat. He was shot at least a year or more ago since he was fully healed and you can see his skull exposed and the skin fused to it. And believe it or not he was attempting to breed a doe. The hunter was my hunting buddy. We inspected him and he bore a nice set of antlers he was underweight for a deer of his age and to add to his misery his rear quarter was infected from a recent 22 lead bullet
[img]https://imgur.com/GDmcolz[/img]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by raamw; 09/11/21.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Head shots are not unethical or poor percentage some of the time. I limit mine to 30 yards or less, on non-moving moose, or finishing shots close up.

My last one on moose was about 15 yards, using the snow machine windscreen as a rest. It's do-able..... at least with a 3.5-10X scope set on 6..... smile

The one before that was a near miss - about 20 yards, offhand, head on. He ducked and started to turn to run just as I shot. Took the top of his brain pan off instead of 'tween the eyes. An inch higher, and I'd have had to wing shoot him with the second - but he wasn't going anywhere, much.

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

Taking head shots on unwounded elk at 900yds is stupid.

Personally I think you went for the chest and missed. The elk was unlucky and had it's head in the way of the bullet.

I watched most of your other videos and nothing there showed a skill level necessary to reliably make first round hits on sub MOA targets at 900yds.

Feel free to hang some other evidence that would show you have in the past proven you have such skill.

I agree. The "margin of error" he speaks of at 900 yards on a head shot is nil. Really- at 900 yards in the field, can anyone place a bullet within an inch, or at most two, of intended with absolute (call it 90%) confidence on a "head shot" ?. I don't think so. Lucky shot. Really stupid if that was the intent, but still a lucky shot.

I've made a couple "lucky shots" , myself. Not stupid- just AFU...I try to avoid them.

But I don't lie about them.

Usually. Less so since I quit alcohol. smile

Below...

She spined him at 200 with '06, not where she was aiming, she said - I suspect she deliberately held high as he looked like he (small 2 yr bull) was a long ways away. And who believes a range-finder in her husband's hand? smile She hit him where the crosshairs were, but maybe not where she thought they were. Of course.

I'll take lucky ( but never count on it!) , if the wounded animal is recovered.

I finished him at 20 with .260. He wasn't going anywhere.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It says the video is private

IC B3

Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.