Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/95NUv1bLJTQ

Last edited by coldboremiracle; 02/22/15.

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not for me and I shoot long and shoot heads often.

My heads are limited to 300 yards where I feel comfortable in conditions, gropu size and error size plus time of flight.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Agreed, where I feel comfortable, conditions, margin of error, etc.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Outstanding shot!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I guess I'd rather be lucky than good…

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That just might not have been luck. Skill rather.

In recognition of this and the very appearant (in the videos) time spent and effort involved in aquiring and honing of the neccessary skills, not to speak of the money in the gear involved and training, I will say, that the attitude conveyed through handle (coldbore miracle), video commentary (gruesome, carnage, general awesomeness...) and shot selection is not my cup of tea.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do ya'll suppose they would've hung the video if it had been a 900yd gutshot?

CR

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do ya'll suppose they would've hung the video if it had been a 900yd gutshot?

Or a lower jaw shot off, or even a miss. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I didn't even finish watching it...hate that crap. If you want to take stunt shots like the. the loser, when you f it up, shouldn't be the animal.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Was he even aiming for the head? And if so, why even risk that small of a target at that range? Bad decision even if it had a good outcome.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Was he even aiming for the head? And if so, why even risk that small of a target at that range? Bad decision even if it had a good outcome.

I agree 100%. I'm calling luck. No one I know would ever take a 900 yard head shot at a Big game animal.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fotis,

No one I know would ever take a 900 yard head shot at a Big game animal.

Do you know anyone who can make three consecutive hits on a man sized target at a mile and a half?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
coldboremiracle,

Fun shot. It seemed there was a lot of noise considering the suppressor.

It certainly appears some here didn't notice this is the Long Range Hunting forum. blush

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don’t like head shots on game at ANY range. It is always a lousy percentage shot and results in wounding as often as not.

This is a long range hunting forum and to me when hunting its my responsibility to make a clean kill. That means taking the highest percetage shot no matter what range the animal is at. I would have been much more impressed with that shot had it been a boiler room shot. I tend to doubt people who make gimic shots at long range. “yeah, I meant to do that, really!” sure you did!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Although this is the Long range Forum, I would think that anyone would care more about the Possible wounding of a fine game animal that might be left to starve to death because of a shot off jaw than trying to impress someone with their prowess /

There is a difference between taking a high percentage shot and an shot like the video portrays.

That wasn,t a portrayel of an ethical hunter taking a reasonable long range shot.
That was a portrayel of an ignorant slob hunter .
Although he has shooting skills he doesn,t care enough about the animals to to care if one starves to death because of a misplaced shot of just a few inches.

In my oppinion only an uncaring idiot would even attempt a shot like that on an unwounded animal.

I think that anyone that thinks that this is fine example of long range hunting needs to reevaluate the whole picture and not just the fact that an animal was killed at long range.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

Thats bullchit
Are you saying you can control your bullet at that range to within a couple of inches ? All of the time ,most of the time?
Bullchit

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with bcraig. That shot if placed in the boiler room would have been impressive. That shot intentionaly aiming for the head is the ultimate form of hubris. What possible reason is there for taking the lowest percentage shot at any range. If you want to brag and prove how good you are at long range bang steel. I’d be impressed if you were shooting a 5” steel gong at 900 yards, it takes the same amount of skill without the chance of wounding an animal.

There is a difference between a hunter and a shooter. A hunter should respect the animal enough to take the high percentage shot every time.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The time of flight would be somewhere near 1 second. Regardless of how well the shot is placed, alot can happen at the taget distance in one second. The animal can move and make a well placed shot be in a different , undesireable place or a untargeted animal could enter the impact area . Possibly an animal that is not even a legal kill.. I notice in the video the nearest animal to cross after the shot was a smaller bull elk.While a small chance of either it is still a chance. That type of long range shooting may be best reserved for non game targets. While i would like to possess those shooting skills, i would not try to apply it to game hunting. It is a like like shooting when you don't know your backstop.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
coldboremiracle,

It's always so illuminating to have yet another long-range hunter justify himself by pointing out how many "average" hunters screw up shots. It's like hearing 10-year-old say to his father, "But all the other kids are doing it!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.