Print Thread
Hop To
A
Amos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
February is the most boring month of the year, so I thought I would share with you 3 handguns and their loads that I believe are some of the most versatile handguns that can be had. There are plenty of other handguns that are just as versatile but these are my choices.

I want my handguns to do three things for me:

1. Defense against two-legged varmints. This means that I must be able to comfortably conceal and carry them all day.

2. Be able to kill big game up to and including black bears and mountain lions.

3. Be effective against snakes. Boy, do I hate snakes.

The three that I use are a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP, Ruger SP101 3" in 357 Magunm, and a Smith and Wesson 629 Mountain gun 44 Magnum.

First, let me tell you about the 1911. When loaded with hollow-point defensive ammo, it is a proven tool for two-legged varmints. Everyone knows that. What you may not have realized, is that it can also be an effective outdoors gun as well. When loaded with a 230 grain LBT LFN hard cast bullet, it offers deeper penetration than a 45 ACP is allowed to have while still producing a wide wound channel. This load feeds perfectly and is far superior to ball ammo.

For snakes, I prefer to use birdshot loads. Factory versions don't always cycle automatics, so they are out of the question. I have found that seating a .452 roundball on top of #9 shot, on top of bullseye powder cycles fine and the roundball shoots to point of aim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next is the SP 101. Most of us are familiar with the versatility of the 357 Magunm. When combined with the 3" SP 101 it is very easy to carry. It has just enough weight to be able to handle Buffalo Bore loads without too much pain. 38 specials are pure joy.

[Linked Image]

Finally the 629 Mountain Gun 44 Magnum. Whe all know what a great gun this is for woods use, but it may surprise some how easy it is to carry concealed. I'm 6' tall and 160lbs, but with a pancake holster and a loose button up shirt this thing disappears. At 40 oz., it weighs the same as the 1911.

[Linked Image]

My preferred load is a 265 LBT WFN at 1,000 fps. This load is light enough to shoot double-action, but it still hits very hard. For snakes, I have found that CCI shotshell capsules will jump crimp if one is shooting magnum loads and has one of these in the cylinder. I fixed that by running a .452 round ball through a .430 sizing die and seating that on top of the shot charge, just like I do in the 45. This works very well, and it is fun to try to take a snake's head off with the roundball while the shot paralyzes its body.

[Linked Image]

These are three of my choices for all-around handguns. I know there are others. Three is not enough and I would be interested if anyone else uses a handgun for multiple uses.

BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Who made the grips on that 629?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock 30 SF. 230 Gold Dots and Buffalo Bore 255 hard cast +P. Done.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use a RIA 1911 in 10mm for all the above

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
A
Amos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Who made the grips on that 629?

They are made by Eagle grips. Simulated ivory.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Are they Eagle's ultra Ivory or are they the Sledgehammr style ivory polymer grips Eagle makes? They look great, may have to get a pair for my 624.

A
Amos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
They are the sledghammer style round to square butt conversion. When they came they were a shiny white. A little sandpaper dulled them up a bit and gave them a bit of texture. They are actually too big for my hands so I think I will try to slim them down a bit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

if I could only keep one, it'd be the .22

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about?

S&W 617 4" 22LR
Ruger SR1911 commander 45ACP
S&W 629 4" 44mag

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Amos
They are the sledghammer style round to square butt conversion. When they came they were a shiny white. A little sandpaper dulled them up a bit and gave them a bit of texture. They are actually too big for my hands so I think I will try to slim them down a bit.

Thanks! Glad to see they can be worked a bit with sandpaper; most S&W target style grips are a bit too thick for me.

IC B3

A
Amos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Yes, I have often thought that glocks in 45 and the great 10mm are wonderful all-purpose handguns. I will have to try one.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Glock 19
S&W 41
S&W 629 4"

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I would have to go with my:
1. Ruger MKII
2. Ruger security six
3. Colt Andaconda or G 20

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What happens if you run into #1 whilst carrying for #3

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Answer to the above is easy. Handguns are small enough that you can carry three:

Glock 19
S&w 18 22 LR
S&W 629-4 5"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Then I'd just use my S&W Model 69 L Frame in 44 mag. cool

For my three, i'd pick my 1911 Lgwt.Comm in 45acp, Glock 20 in 10mm & S&W 69 in .44 mag

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Amos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I forgot to mention that. That is another reason my snake loads contain a roundball. The roundball shoots to point of aim at close range and is quite deadly. Also, when in snake areas, I usually have only my first shot a snake load.

I also wanted to add that this is not a three gun battery, but just three different guns that I carry and have set up to do the same three tasks. The Ruger may be the best for concealed carry, the Smith the best for the woods, and the Colt the most interchangable; but the point is that all three guns can and are used for all 3 of my outlined purposes.

Last edited by Amos; 02/22/15.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Colt Officers Model Match - 22 LR
-
Fabrique Nationale Hi-Power - 40 S&W
-
Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 - 357 MAGNUM
-
I leave snakes alone.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Amos
February is the most boring month of the year, so I thought I would share with you 3 handguns and their loads that I believe are some of the most versatile handguns that can be had. There are plenty of other handguns that are just as versatile but these are my choices.

I want my handguns to do three things for me:

1. Defense against two-legged varmints. This means that I must be able to comfortably conceal and carry them all day.

2. Be able to kill big game up to and including black bears and mountain lions.

3. Be effective against snakes. Boy, do I hate snakes.

The three that I use are a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP, Ruger SP101 3" in 357 Magunm, and a Smith and Wesson 629 Mountain gun 44 Magnum.

First, let me tell you about the 1911. When loaded with hollow-point defensive ammo, it is a proven tool for two-legged varmints. Everyone knows that. What you may not have realized, is that it can also be an effective outdoors gun as well. When loaded with a 230 grain LBT LFN hard cast bullet, it offers deeper penetration than a 45 ACP is allowed to have while still producing a wide wound channel. This load feeds perfectly and is far superior to ball ammo.

For snakes, I prefer to use birdshot loads. Factory versions don't always cycle automatics, so they are out of the question. I have found that seating a .452 roundball on top of #9 shot, on top of bullseye powder cycles fine and the roundball shoots to point of aim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next is the SP 101. Most of us are familiar with the versatility of the 357 Magunm. When combined with the 3" SP 101 it is very easy to carry. It has just enough weight to be able to handle Buffalo Bore loads without too much pain. 38 specials are pure joy.

[Linked Image]

Finally the 629 Mountain Gun 44 Magnum. Whe all know what a great gun this is for woods use, but it may surprise some how easy it is to carry concealed. I'm 6' tall and 160lbs, but with a pancake holster and a loose button up shirt this thing disappears. At 40 oz., it weighs the same as the 1911.

[Linked Image]

My preferred load is a 265 LBT WFN at 1,000 fps. This load is light enough to shoot double-action, but it still hits very hard. For snakes, I have found that CCI shotshell capsules will jump crimp if one is shooting magnum loads and has one of these in the cylinder. I fixed that by running a .452 round ball through a .430 sizing die and seating that on top of the shot charge, just like I do in the 45. This works very well, and it is fun to try to take a snake's head off with the roundball while the shot paralyzes its body.

[Linked Image]

These are three of my choices for all-around handguns. I know there are others. Three is not enough and I would be interested if anyone else uses a handgun for multiple uses.

Very nice and well thought out. My snake load is what ever bullet I am shooting at the time. Aim small miss small.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.