T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yes.

"G.A. Precision M40A3 is built to the USMC Quantico, PWS Build procedure."

"Remington trigger tuned to 2.5pounds ."

LINK

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
"Smoke".

When the trigger's designer says.."You might have a problem under some conditions..." (paraphrased by me),and offers a solution to fix it....and top brass ignores it for several decades,that's "smoke".

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100588488#.

It's amazing Mike Walker lived to 101 and was active, still working on guns until shortly before he died.

Remarkable man. Not much "smoke" about him. He told'em what needed to be done and they stonewalled his recommendations all these years. Pretty dumb and now they gonna pay a heap more than it would have cost back then to fix what Mike said needed fixing...

Another case of "bean counters" not listening to engineers and innovators.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

like Winchester not adding the safety to their lever actions for over 100 years?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Smoke".

When the trigger's designer says.."You might have a problem under some conditions..." (paraphrased by me),and offers a solution to fix it....and top brass ignores it for several decades,that's "smoke".

Yes Bob - You to might have a problem under some conditions!

See, That statement would cover anyone or anything under any conditions. The media is feeding this to you, your eating it up and repeating exactly what they want you to. If they would just add to their report regarding Rems policy of not adjusting the trigger, or how about safe gun handling, safety checks to determine if you rifle is prone to miss-fires, simple trigger examination to determine if the original "locktite" has been moved or has become loose or is in need of maintain or mention options to replace the trigger (like Timney/Jewel) ect. ect.

BUT NO!!! - They report nothing that could help ID or save or help avoid someone a miss-fire. They are fear mongering plain/ simple and probably down deep want more sensationalism. To me, this left out info shows they couldn't care less about the miss-fires or anyone getting hurt.

Now how about you slow down, breath and do yourself a favor!

Gut check = Do you own a M700? or What irons do you really have in this fire?

Ray
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by toad

DF

like Winchester not adding the safety to their lever actions for over 100 years?

Could be the import thing, as those guns are make by Miroku in Japan and the gun squeezing bureaucrats set import standards.

Bighorn Armory makes their M-89 in Montana, a wonderfully crafted lever gun, sort of a clone of the '86 and '92 JMB designed Winchesters. I don't think they have that ugly tang safety you see on Miroku made Winchester/Brownings.

DF

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think Bighorn is in Wyoming?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RaySendero
"Smoke".

See, That statement would cover anyone or anything under any conditions. The media is feeding this to you, your eating it up and repeating exactly what they want you to. If they would just add to their report regarding Rems policy of not adjusting the trigger, or how about safe gun handling, safety checks to determine if you rifle is prone to miss-fires, simple trigger examination to determine if the original "locktite" has been moved or has become loose or is in need of maintain or mention options to replace the trigger (like Timney/Jewel) ect. ect.

BUT NO!!! - They report nothing that could help ID or save or help avoid someone a miss-fire. They are fear mongering plain/ simple and probably down deep want more sensationalism. To me, this left out info shows they couldn't care less about the miss-fires or anyone getting hurt.

My sense is to listen to Mike Walker. He, afterall, is the developer and patent holder of that trigger design. Mike saw the possibility of a glitch decades ago, documented the potential issue and suggested a fix. Bean counting brass at Remington decided to stonewall Mike's suggestions and the rest they say, is history. Expensive history, at that.

Jumping on Bob is knee jerk, not rational. Just listen to Mike.

IMO.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think Bighorn is in Wyoming?

Whoops...

Thought about checking that before I posted, but oh well... blush

Thanks for the correction... laugh

And, I'm taking issue with folks for "knee jerking"... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sense is to listen to Mike Walker. He, afterall, is the developer and patent holder of that trigger design.

So he designed and developed this, and held the patent while Rem. was building them? Sound like this might be a lot on him. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by milespatton
My sense is to listen to Mike Walker. He, afterall, is the developer and patent holder of that trigger design.

So he designed and developed this, and held the patent while Rem. was building them? Sound like this might be a lot on him. miles

Well, maybe. But it seems to me he's pretty well covered by his early documentation of a potential glitch and his recommendation for an approptiate fix.

The legal action, it seems to me, focuses on the sandbagging/coverup by the company after being formally notified by the developer/patent holder that this situation existed.

I think Mike's estate should be in the clear. But, I'm not a lawyer.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Don't know about anyone else but I would not CONSIDER buying a lever action with that tang safety.

"there is no aftermarket fix for operator error" seems I've heard that somewhere.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Smoke".

My sense is to listen to Mike Walker. He, afterall, is the developer and patent holder of that trigger design. Mike saw the possibility of a glitch decades ago, documented the potential issue and suggested a fix. Bean counting brass at Remington decided to stonewall Mike's suggestions and the rest they say, is history. Expensive history, at that.

IMO.

DF

No definitely not knee jerk and very rational. He seems to have swallowed MSN-CNBC hook-line-&-sinker. Yet I don't see any attempt on CNBCs part to present any help to the gun owners. I even quickly offered 5 or 6 examples of useful information that could have been follow-up on BUT WERE NOT. Figure you guys given time could even figure a lot more that could/should have been done BUT WASN'T.

I own M700s and I don't see the problem - That's rational!

I don't think he owns one, yet passionately repeats a known anti-gun media's sensational fear mongering - That's irrational.

Ray
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall

Don't know about anyone else but I would not CONSIDER buying a lever action with that tang safety.

"there is no aftermarket fix for operator error" seems I've heard that somewhere.

there was an element of sarcasm in my post, but I see similarities...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay - it's hard to 'read' sarcasm. <G>

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
"Smoke".

IMO.

DF

No definitely not knee jerk and very rational. He seems to have swallowed MSN-CNBC hook-line-&-sinker. Yet I don't see any attempt on CNBCs part to present any help to the gun owners. I even quickly offered 5 or 6 examples of useful information that could have been follow-up on BUT WERE NOT. Figure you guys given time could even figure a lot more that could/should have been done BUT WASN'T.

I own M700s and I don't see the problem - That's rational!

I don't think he owns one, yet passionately repeats a known anti-gun media's sensational fear mongering - That's irrational.

I don't sense that Bob is drinking CNBC Kool-Aid. He's just reporting what he's read and referencing Mike Walker's recorded statement.

I have several 700's, some with Jewell or Timney triggers, a couple of older ones with finely tuned "Walker triggers". I could say mine don't mess up and I personally know of none that have messed up. Your's probably are doing what they were designed to do. But, all that good can't negate something bad. We can't prove a negative.

I could say my yard is flat, you could say your yard was flat. We could make good cases for our flat yards, document and establish those facts. We could then say that all the flat yards we know of, theoretically put side by side in infinite numbers, would make a case for a flat Earth.

Now that reasoning, of course, is absurd. But with similar logic, we can't negate what others are testifying to under oath, what the triers of fact (attorneys) are establsihing in court, Mike Walker's testimony, etc., just because we don't agree with the premise.

IMHO,

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I never understood why Remington didn't scrap their trigger design and start fresh regardless. Those triggers suck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys this is hilarious.........what Walker said in his memo's is part of the Court records in these cases.It's evidence. It's not CNBC Kool Aid.

The memo was/is part of Remington's corporate record;and was admitted into evidence in a Court of law.Despite what some of you think, courtrooms are NOT the internet.

He invented the trigger. He said it had a problem. He told Remington to fix it. Remington brass ignored him. They did fix it,but it took from 1948-1950 all the way to 2007. They got sued. They ignored it all. For over 5 decades.

In a courtroom,in a product liability case, that is not "smoke"....it's a nuclear explosion! that has defense counsel telling his client..."Hey,we have some serious exposure here and we better get this thing settled!'

Slam dunk, and made all the more credible by the fact that Remington inducted Mike Walker into the Remington Hall of Fame. They MUST have valued his opinion,and no doubt did....but made a conscious and deliberate effort.....to ignore it. WOW!

Of course, that's no problem right? Because lots of Remington users (like on here) know more about the Walker trigger than the guy who invented it! Makes you laugh if you have a sense of humor...

Geezus.

If stupid users are entirely to blame for these mishaps, then "why", over the same 5-6 decades,were there not similar lawsuits and claims made against Winchester, Sako,Ruger,Savage,etc etc for trigger/safety issues? (I have asked this same question three times now and no one has answered it).

Could it be that those makers had trigger/safety mechanisms that worked properly?

I mean there MUST be stupid users buying Winchesters and Rugers too....right?

I know the reason...and so do most of you but some will not admit it because they refuse to believe their trusty Rem 700 have a flaw....The trigger/safety was defective in some ways and could be tricked into firing when the safety was released. The design engineer who invented it,told us so.

NOT CNBC.....Mike Walker told us.

The issue of improper maintenance or lack of safe gun handling by the user is a factor. The legal theory is known as "contributory negligence".Might be called something slightly different state to state, but goes to the issue of the plaintiff's actions contributing to his own injury.

Or in the case where an innocent third party is killed due to the actions of multiple negligent parties, "comparative negligence".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bottom feeders rising to the chum...like bottom feeders do. just like the guy in your link that shot his foot. love your total acceptance of the official CNBC line though. and if Mike Walker was such an expert, how is it that he designed a trigger that is supposedly defective and dangerous?

of course, the .gov and LEO customers are not convinced...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know the reason...and so do most of you but some will not admit it because they refuse to believe their trusty Rem 700 have a flaw....The trigger/safety was defective in some ways and could be tricked into firing when the safety was released. The design engineer who invented it,told us so.

NOT CNBC.....Mike Walker told us.

There is one of the problems. I am not saying that AD do not happen, but nobody including Mike Walker could trick them into happening for a demonstration, without first adjusting the trigger until it was unsafe all the time. I have heard over the years that you can epoxy the floating sear and make it not float, and fix the problem. But, when you try to find details, you hit a dead end. There is so much bullscat out there, it is hard to believe anyone. The AD's happen so seldom and the ones that it happens to can never be sure exactly what happened. I have never had one happen but was near one, one time. The man that it happen to had his rifle pointed in a safe direction, and knows mostly how it came to be, but is a little fuzzy on some details. He was starting to shoot a target, when he was interrupted, and put the rifle on safe. Now is when it gets fuzzy. Did he try to shoot with the rifle on safe and then it fired when he moved the safety to fire, or did he just move the safety to fire without trying the trigger first. His routine was broken and a AD happened. He was scared and does not trust the rifle now, but on dry fire, it could not be repeated. Not knowing exactly what takes place is another problem with the law suits. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
toad CNBC was only reporting what Walker himself said. I have read that from other sources as well. Not the first time I have seen it in print. Its' part of the court record.

To avoid wasting much time in this absolutely ridiculous conversation with you, I grabbed the first source I bumped into. You said you were aware of one lawsuit. That's not true. There have been many.

Stop making the conversation about what kool aid you think I am swallowing from CNBC....that's deflection and not central to the issue.

Did your snipers and LEO's know more about the Walker trigger than Walker himself? Tell me what part of that is "made up". The mere fact that LEO and the military uses them is no dispositive on whether it's defective or can discharge under the right(wrong) circumstances.

If anyone has swallowed the propaganda on the Remington safety/trigger, it's users who believe the thing is flawless...it was never any better than mediocre.It was designed to be "cheap" and that's what it was and is...it bit Remington in the ass.

You gotta get over your irrational emotional attachment to your trusted M700's.. I love M70's...pre 64's even. But a match shooter at our club sent two kids to college when a case ruptured in a pre 64 target rifle,and he lost the sight in one eye.

i have to admit there are better actions for handling escaping gas. I get it...I understand and use them all the time. But I am aware of the problem but won't jump up and down defending them on that basis.I got over that emotional attachment business 20-30 years ago.It's juvenile.

At this point, defending the Walker trigger by making it part of some vast left wing gun grabbing conspiracy is like pissing up a rope.If Remington and it's parent company did not know this,they would not recall 5-7 million rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.