Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just read his book The Last Trek-A New Beginning: The Autobiography

Very interesting to say the least. I recommend it to anyone with interest in RSA. My first visit to RSA was when PW Botha was still Prime Minister, and just before De Klerk ascended.

Many of you may not remember the campaign of terror and civil unrest the ANC started in the '80's to make areas of RSA ungovernable. Classic communist strategy.

Mandela is portrayed just as he was, and not the diety he became. He could have been released from prison years before if he would have remounced violence and wouldn't.

It is not all encompassing, and it helps to know something about South Africa and its history to comprehend his story. It is an excellent read.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Where did you get your copy? I'd like to read it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Amazon used books.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to get Marius or our other South African residents to chime in. I don't know who is old enough to remeber RSA in the 1980's, but it was an interesting time to visit.

The world community was hammering the country with sanctions, the economy was slowed to a crawl, even musicians were boycotting South Africa. Bono and Springstein made aparthied their cause and gave other artists that went to RSA crap for going.

Rod Stewart was one that defied them and went, and I've been a bigger fan ever since.

The White population was concerned that a war with the ANC was brewing and it was going to Uhuru all over again. Every able bodied white man has his issued R3 or R4 locked up in house with a kit bag ready to go if called.

People were ready for change but didn't want their way of life wiped out. I'm not sure if there was ever going to be a better or easier answer than what De Klerk and the National Party pushed. It certainly was and is a complex issue.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although still young, I have quite a few memories from those times. This would have been later 80's, but still during the apartheid time. I don't ever recall being exposed to Apartheid. Suppose this was due to being apart of it. Can't really remember seeing the "Whites Only" signs etc. but my dad had quite a big number of employess (blacks) working for him in those days. He was a cartage contractor, so had trucks and most of his drivers were black males. I do however distinctly remember that they were treated in different manner than what would be acceptable today. They had respect for him, and although they are all old and grey now( Father and the ex employees), they will still shout and greet him in the streets with excitement, after he sold that business roughly 20 years ago.
A little bit later, just before Mandela's release,I can remember people going out and arming themselves, getting ready for the unknown. We all know how that turned out.
What many people don't know, is that it was the white people who signed the referendum to give black Africans equal rights.
The white people did not want "Apartheid" either. It was enforced by the apartheid government. Their rules and laws. Not the people's.
One of the PH's that hunts for me from time to time was part of the "SWAT" teams that had to infiltrate certain areas where terrorists were known to hide. This was in the Eastern Cape, and they were often involved in riot controls. The stuff that the book will cover for sure. The stories from him around the campfire, is something to behold.Always try and pick his brain to get him to tell me a bit more.

The world had put increasing pressure on South Africa during those days, through sanctions, by banning SA from sporting events, not touring South Africa etc, yet today, we see reverse apartheid. Blatant advertisements in newspapers, stating in black and white (excuse the pun) that no whites need to apply. Now the world keeps quiet.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maruius makes a great point that Whites were instrumental in ending apartheid largely because so many didn't like the laws and saw they do what they were intended. The apartheid laws were enacted in 1948, and by the 1970's it was clear that the system wouldn't work. The orginal idea was that Blacks would live in their own homelands which they could gorvern and the Whites in theirs. The migration of Black workers to the cities and industrial areas made that system unworkable.

There were other laws that were equally as strange to see now that controlled society in thoses days. Playboy magazine was banned and other magazines like People, were sensored and butts and boobs blacked out as indecent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right on Hatari!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Immigration "gone bad"?
Where did the majority of Rhodesians flee to when they were dispossessed of their farms and property?

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
#1 - RSA

#2 GB

#3 OZ

#4 USA

They all want a place with Rugby, Cricket, English as a main language, and a mild climate.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hatari
#1 - RSA

#2 GB

#3 OZ

#4 USA

They all want a place with Rugby, Cricket, English as a main language, and a mild climate.

#3 OZ ?
Being the last white SA to leave will be worse than being the last white Rhodesian to leave.

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OZ = Austrailia

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My first of many trips to South Africa was in 1983, very soon after the outside world began exerting pressure on the country's leaders to end apartheid. I saw no signs there saying "whites only," but I do remember being told not to read James Michener's "The Covenant" in airports because it was among books that had been banned.

Downtown Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and Kimberley were safe to walk the streets at any hour. I especially enjoyed shopping the Rowland Ward Store in the Carlton Centre mall and the safari shop a block or so away. The rand still was worth more than the U.S. dollar in 1983.

Several trips later, I was in Zululand hunting a nyala and heard a radio announcer say the U.S. Congress had overturned Reagan's veto of sanctions against South Africa.

Years before Nelson Mandela was released, I was told by a high-ranking RSA government official I was hunting with in Wyoming that Mandela was being groomed to lead the "New South Africa" that DeKlerk's government was taking steps to create.

When I said I'd never heard of a government or a political party voluntarily committing suicide (my words), my source said a minority could not continue dominating a majority and that it was best for all South Africans if the National Party organized a peaceful transition.

He also told me that Zulu leaders had been bribed and given guarantees so they would not oppose Mandela and an ANC-led government.

My first hunt in Zambia was in 1994, and South Africa's first election to allow all citizens to vote would be held just before we would land and overnight in Johannesburg. We purposely reserved hotel rooms near the airport, just in case the riots many were predicting did break out.

I watched many changes take place in my trips to South Africa over the years after Mandela took office. Unfortunately, not all were for the betterment of the country.

Incidentally, at age 78, I am old enough to remember when restaurants, bathrooms and water fountains in Yuma (where I grew up) had "whites only" and "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" signs. We also had black-only grammar and middle schools.

It was years before America's apartheid was called "segregation."

Bill Quimby

hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great post from top to bottom Bill.

I too recall walking the streets of J'berg after dark with no fear and no problems, staying at the Jo'berg Sun Hotel. That hotel closed not long after the new government took over as squatters just filled up their lobby. I wouldn't dream of walking the streets there now day or night.

The breakdown of public safety and government corruption is the saddest part of the change in the past 20 years. Slowly, RSA is becoming "africanized". Incompetents are manning civil service jobs slowing services to a halt. I used to love flying SAA over Delta, but no more. Staff and equipment changes have made my last few flights less than they could have been.

It is a miracle that the government transitioned without bloodshed as peacefully as it could have. De Klerk should be the one that the World lauds for engineering and driving what was inevitable. The sad fact is that Mandela is considered a demi-god and De Klerk has become an afterthought.

The old system was failing, with or without outside pressures. I really don't have a workable alternative to what we have today. Maybe a bigger role for the IFP and the Zulu, but I'm not sure that really would have done anything positive.

De Klerk envisioned perhaps a weaker role for the Prime Minister and revolving power between the ANC, NP, and IFP leaders a la Switzerland, but that takes a rationale and cohesive populous to accept, and that is not RSA.

The country has fared better than many feared, but they face problems with no answers.

- overpopulation by the uneducated cramming the cities and feeding crime.

- demand for land from these same people

- unchecked immigration from other African counties filling the slums in Cape town and Jo'berg with hundreds of thousands that have nothing to offer.

- envy of everything the White Man has and has built, and the urge of the ruling leaders to take more and more.

- corruption at all levels of government increasing, making RSA just another slice of Africa

RSA can never go back to 1948 when the Black population was much smaller and the Whites had the education and ran the show. Life for whites as simple and conservative while blacks still largely could live a bush life. As quoted in intro to GWTW - "Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind...”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hatari, you certainly know the history very well. But, I have to say, we still have a great life over here. Cost of living is up there with the best in the world. We REALLY do have everything we could ask for. Wildlife, ocean life, beaches, stable weather, gold, platinum, diamonds, good food, great steaks, excellent hunting.
If you are away from the big cities, and do what we do, these things don't really affect you that much. I refuse to watch the news and other media programs, as they simply blow all the stories out of proportion.
The country is not what it use to be, but I believe that the masses are getting fed up.
We have a single State in RSA that has been run for the past two terms by the opposition party. It's far from the old NP, but probably the closest to that. Difference is that the Democratic Alliance is for all colors. That State is the only State that has shown a growth in the economy. It's the only State where things are happening, and things work the way they are suppose to, like transport systems etc. and the people are noticing.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Which State is run by the DA?

I think your country is wonderful and agree that everything for a great life is right there. I'd love to have a place in South Africa. I love the land the people, the climate, but not the political situation. I fear it can/could be/will be destroyed, but I can be pessimistic about such things.

The voting numbers just aren't in favor of law and order. 40 million to 6 million is a tough ratio.

I'm astonished at the number of Zim blacks (Shona and Ndebele) are living and working - emphasis on working — in RSA and thriving. You can spot them easily as not Xhosa or Zulu, they are larger and darker, and I just ask where they are from and happily tell me.

They certainly like the life in RSA. I don't see them ever voting ANC, but who knows. If not citizens, they shouldn't vote anyway, but that doesn't stop it here.

I'm not sure what the government will do about the huge slums like the one outside of the airport in Cape Town. I understand it is divided etc., up inside by de facto by country of origin - Nigerians here, Congolese there, etc., — all coming for jobs that don't exist. Would the gov't send them back? Would it do any good?

Will the majority of Xhosa and Zulu start identifying as South Africans and not by tribe? Will they in any numbers get to the point where they push for the common good of the country over "take from the White man" mentality?

I was there a couple of years ago and spent time with my friends in the EC and in Cape Town. More or less, society still works. Kids play in rugby leagues, matches still go on and Newlands, the pubs still have beer. Chapman's Peak is still beautiful, the Karoo is still dry. The fishing in Kenton and George is still good (the days we went out!). Cell phones and the internet work.

The greatest contribution to the world might the braii! Can not beat it.

Marius, with all of that, give us an update on how you see the political landscape locally, regionally, and nationally. I'm curious to know more about today.

Thx!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hatari:

My last trip to South Africa was in 2010. After helping a Namibian client with his book, I spent two weeks bouncing around South Africa, visiting friends in Waterkloof, Vaalwater, Kimberley, and Hilton because I knew it would be my last trip to their beautiful country.

The limited areas I saw seemed no different than the "good ol' days," and the livestyles of my hosts seemed to have not changed much over the nearly three decades I've known them. However, I avoided the larger cities, and I never went anywhere without them.

I also remember when SAA was a joy to fly, with great meals and the best service of all the world's airlines. I long ago switched to Delta and American for the trip down and back. That last trip, when I flew SAA inside RSA and to Namibia, made me remember why I switched.

Bill Quimby

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't expect that there is many whites emigrating into SA?
How many whites are leaving SA for good?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The DA holds the Western Cape and has done so for the past two terms. Their power is increasing as they are taking numbers away from the ANC. Evey election, their support grows. Even the ANC followers sees how an area should be run, as compared to the other provinces.

Regarding the numbers at the polls, sure its against us, but once again, every election, the ANC loses support and the DA gains. In the last two terms, the DA has gained about 12%,

I don't mind the Zimbo's that much. They are very hard workers, and this is the exact reason for the xenophobic attacks from the Xhosas. They know that they can't match them on the work front so are losing out on them, since they know that someone will rather employ a worker from Zimbabwe instead of them.

I know exactly which slums you are talking about, but this is where we look at things differently as from the perspective from a local. These type of slums are all over the country. The difference between the one outside Cape Town and the rest of South Africa is, it has running water, electricity and sanitation. The rest of SA squatter camps, sit without these things. Just empty promises from the crooks over at the ANC. These are causing the strikes and riots, but when the election comes, they vote for the same party. If you want to be stupid, then I have no sympathy for you.

Will the majority of Xhosas and Zulu start identifying as South Africans and not as tribe? Probably not, apartheid and the race card is the only thing that they have to hold on to. It's the only excuse the ANC have for their own poor performance. They have been in power for over 20 years now, yet they still blame the apartheid government for the fact that they have not built more power stations and more dams. You would think that more people requires more power and more water, don't you?
Some genius the other day said it was the white government's fault for the water shortages. They built the dams to big. If they built the dams smaller, they would be fuller.

Remember, all you guys get in the USA, is what the media sends you. It must look like a war zone on tv?
It's nothing like that. Not even 5%. People get up in the morning and go to work. We live a normal life.

Obviously people complain about the government, which country doesn't. It does not affect our every day lives. The biggest story in the country at the moment is that parliament wants to put in a vote of no confidence against the president. The guy next in line will do a good job. He is a business man, and is quite big into game animals. He was one of the guys who paid $2M for a Cape Buffalo bull.
Our economy is good, thanks to the Credit Act installed by Trevor Manual who later became head of the World Bank.
I'm not saying we are crime free, but there is no different feeling today, than lets say 10 years ago. Life goes on.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Penobscot:

I suspect the exodus of South African "Europeans" that began in the mid-1980s probably has slowed considerably, but I have no basis for thinking this.

I've always been amazed at the world-class scientists, medical specialists, sports figures, and business leaders that a country as small as South Africa produced throughout the years.

It is that nation's loss that so many children and grandchildren of my friends felt the need to seek their fortunes on other continents.

Bill Quimby

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by billrquimby
Penobscot:

I suspect the exodus of South African "Europeans" that began in the mid-1980s probably has slowed considerably, but I have no basis for thinking this.

I've always been amazed at the world-class scientists, medical specialists, sports figures, and business leaders that a country as small as South Africa produced throughout the years.

It is that nation's loss that so many children and grandchildren of my friends felt the need to seek their fortunes on other continents.

Bill Quimby

I'm not. White people excel wherever they are.

I've always been impressed with South African paratrooper corps and considered them world class.

One of my favorite movies "Breaker Morant" brings out the romantic in me...
Am I wrong in thinking that ancestry in South Africa breaks about even between Boer and English?
Thanks for your response!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Attributed to Breaker Morant, part of his poem before being executed.
"But we bequeath a parting tip
For sound advice of such men
Who come across in transport ship
To polish off the Dutchmen.

If you encounter any Boers
You really must not loot ‘em,
And, if you wish to leave these shores,
For pity’s sake, don’t shoot ‘em."

- See more at: http://allpoetry.com/Butchered-to-make-a-Dutchman's-Holiday#sthash.tVBXH5bg.dpuf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^^^ Where is the "Like" button? ^^^^^^

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
The DA holds the Western Cape and has done so for the past two terms. Their power is increasing as they are taking numbers away from the ANC. Every election, their support grows. Even the ANC followers sees how an area should be run, as compared to the other provinces.

Regarding the numbers at the polls, sure its against us, but once again, every election, the ANC loses support and the DA gains. In the last two terms, the DA has gained about 12%,

I don't mind the Zimbo's that much. They are very hard workers, and this is the exact reason for the xenophobic attacks from the Xhosas. They know that they can't match them on the work front so are losing out on them, since they know that someone will rather employ a worker from Zimbabwe instead of them.

That's the idea I got on my last visit. Funny how black immigrants from others countries can come to the US, get a college education, and thrive while the locals wallow in poverty and complain of racism. That same racism doesn't slow the immigrants who want something better for themselves.

I know exactly which slums you are talking about, but this is where we look at things differently as from the perspective from a local. These type of slums are all over the country. The difference between the one outside Cape Town and the rest of South Africa is, it has running water, electricity and sanitation. The rest of SA squatter camps, sit without these things. Just empty promises from the crooks over at the ANC. These are causing the strikes and riots, but when the election comes, they vote for the same party. If you want to be stupid, then I have no sympathy for you.

I've been told that slum does have water, and that the gov't had to go in and fix up the electrical grid in there because of the amateur electrical theft. I understand nobody pays for electricity in there anymore. Probably other areas too, or I've been told.

Guess an organized slum is better than a squatters mess.

Will the majority of Xhosas and Zulu start identifying as South Africans and not as tribe? Probably not, apartheid and the race card is the only thing that they have to hold on to. It's the only excuse the ANC have for their own poor performance. They have been in power for over 20 years now, yet they still blame the apartheid government for the fact that they have not built more power stations and more dams. You would think that more people requires more power and more water, don't you?
Some genius the other day said it was the white government's fault for the water shortages. They built the dams to big. If they built the dams smaller, they would be fuller.

Remember, all you guys get in the USA, is what the media sends you. It must look like a war zone on tv?
It's nothing like that. Not even 5%. People get up in the morning and go to work. We live a normal life.

Obviously people complain about the government, which country doesn't. It does not affect our every day lives. The biggest story in the country at the moment is that parliament wants to put in a vote of no confidence against the president. The guy next in line will do a good job. He is a business man, and is quite big into game animals. He was one of the guys who paid $2M for a Cape Buffalo bull.
Our economy is good, thanks to the Credit Act installed by Trevor Manual who later became head of the World Bank.
I'm not saying we are crime free, but there is no different feeling today, than lets say 10 years ago. Life goes on.

Who's next in line these days?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by hatari

Who's next in line these days?

The USA.

Non-taxpayers can't ever have more rights than the taxpayers. Your US president works on African mentality.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 02/25/15.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our President IS African. I'd rather have Zuma, at least he has balls.

I meant next to lead you!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cyril Ramaphosa is next in line. Here is an article on him:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/scitech/...phosa-sells-three-impala-for-2.6-million

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
hatari Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks promising:

"What I can say to you is continue investing in your farms, in your lands, because the constitution is there as a black and white document to guarantee the rights of all of us," he said.

The audience, a well-heeled crowd of overwhelmingly white, khaki-clad men and women with Louis Vuitton bags slung over their shoulders, broke into loud applause and whistles.

Twenty years after the end of apartheid, South Africa is struggling to redress a racist system of land ownership which saw most of the best farmland in the hands of the white minority.

"You should not stop investing because through investment you are creating jobs," said Ramaphosa, "you are creating opportunities."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yip, he's a businessman. He'll mean a lot more to the country than shower-head Zuma.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.