V
V
I SHOOT A 6BR NO TURN NECK WITH 87GR VMAX'S EASY TO LOAD AND KILLS EM DEAD

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yet another Campfire thread where at least half the posters never read anything other than the header before responding, including the original poster's question and, especially, the rest of the thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're going to shoot pdogs on the Rosebud Reservation, I guarantee that it will be windy for some portion of your trip. I have driven there to shoot and, upon arrival, found that the wind was blowing so hard that it wasn't worth burning powder. Spent the night in either Valentine, NE, or White River, SD, and drove home without squeezing a single trigger. If you're going to eat in restaurants, the options in Valentine are to be recommended over White River every time.

This belongs in Ripleys Believe It or not.
How are you ever going to learn how to shoot in the wind?
Have you ever been to Camp Perry and shot 600 yds? The wind coming off the lake will educate you.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been out trying to shoot gophers when the wind was blowing upwards of 50 mph. Shots were few and far between and it was miserable. If you'd ever done it, you wouldn't question 260Remguys helpful post.

Edited to add:

That's directed at whelennut. And just what does Camp Perry have to do with prairie dog shooting?

Last edited by Higbean; 03/04/15.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Same thing happens in Montana prairie dog shooting now and then. A couple years ago the wind was blowing 40-50 mph (that's measured, not guessed, both with a Kestrel and by the closest weather station, less than an hour's drive away. We gave it up, partly because sand was swirling so much it got in our eyes, but it was impossible to hit anything beyond 100 yards anyway, both because of wind drifting the bullets and buffeting the rifle, even when shooting from a rest.

I have shot quite a bit in winds up to 25 mph or so, and if the wind it steady it's amazing how far you can hit dogs. But when the air's moving much faster than that it's no fun, and the big point of prairie dog shooting is fun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez, John. Go to Camp Perry you wussy...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're going to shoot pdogs on the Rosebud Reservation, I guarantee that it will be windy for some portion of your trip. I have driven there to shoot and, upon arrival, found that the wind was blowing so hard that it wasn't worth burning powder. Spent the night in either Valentine, NE, or White River, SD, and drove home without squeezing a single trigger. If you're going to eat in restaurants, the options in Valentine are to be recommended over White River every time.

This belongs in Ripleys Believe It or not.
How are you ever going to learn how to shoot in the wind?
Have you ever been to Camp Perry and shot 600 yds? The wind coming off the lake will educate you.

Talking about Camp Perry and all that makes you look like the big deal marksman. Fine. But on the prairie when the wind's blowing so hard you can't hardly open the truck door.....it's not the time for trying to shoot little critters.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Same thing happens in Montana prairie dog shooting now and then. A couple years ago the wind was blowing 40-50 mph (that's measured, not guessed, both with a Kestrel and by the closest weather station, less than an hour's drive away. We gave it up, partly because sand was swirling so much it got in our eyes, but it was impossible to hit anything beyond 100 yards anyway, both because of wind drifting the bullets and buffeting the rifle, even when shooting from a rest.

I have shot quite a bit in winds up to 25 mph or so, and if the wind it steady it's amazing how far you can hit dogs. But when the air's moving much faster than that it's no fun, and the big point of prairie dog shooting is fun.

Case in point, this was a pretty good wind, measured by the depth of the loop on the rope to the dog and also a wind gauge. We got one PD that day...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How, on God's green earth, did you manage to lasso that Griffon in winds such as those? Have you been practicing at Camp Perry Shrap?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All my varmint rigs are Rem 700 in .223, 22-250 and .243. And oh yeah...... a tricked out 10/22 using Winch. Xpert HP for shooting rock chucks under 75 yards and with good bullet placement one shot can anchor them.

I shoot mostly rock chucks here in Idaho but do get over to Colorado for some PD shooting later in the year. The rock chucks can get up to twice the size of the PD which gives them more body weight to absorb the energy and for back-flips.

Lately about 80% of my rockchuckin' has been with a suppressed .223 pushing 40g NBT at 3900fps and that is a great combination.........when there is no wind and the shots are this size of about 350 yards. I used to bang on them with the 22-250 pushing 50g NBT at 3800 fps but there is an element of fun of shooting them with a suppressed rifle. The 22-250 action usually accounts for about 10-15% of the shooting. There has been times when the ranges were longer and the wind was up and I would use the .243 pushing 55g NBT at 4050 fps but later I moved up to the 70g NBT around 3700fps.

Shooting the .243 was limited as far the number of shots and worked out great for those limited runs. A wee bit more recoil and blast but it is only a .243.

Sounds like your buddy has a similar approach and my guess is the .243 caliber would be a solution and I would recommend the 70g NBT.

We usually don't have the volume of shooting with rockchucks but we do have some locations in Southern Idaho where my buddy and I both use two rifles and with taking turns with those 4 rifles to keep the barrels from heating up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have also encountered populations of rockchucks like that in southern Idaho. Once in a while have even seen 'em that thick that even in Montana, but not often.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to the 6mm's. The wind on the prairie can make it difficult. I think that is why I include 6mm when shooting the dogs. I've used bullets up to 85 grain. The 75 grain Sierra and Speers shoot well, but the SPeer has a profile like a beer can and it's BC makes it poor for the windy days. I think that if you go with the Hornady 58 grain bullets you'll find a couple of things. They are fast, they are accuarte, they blow up little critters, recoild is low, You'll love the load. If you're planning on heavier bullets, and as you stated, you're going to build the rifle, build it on a heavy bench rest profile. I prefer the 6mm Remington over all the other cartridges mentioned in the 6mm caliber including the 243, which is admittedly a close second. The 240 Weatherby is about like a 6mm/06, which I'd prefer just because of case selection. But then maybe a 25-06 would be a good option if you want the larger case.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My favorite gun on pd's when the wind is blowing is a .22 lr revolver. The wind covers noise and the moving sage covers me. i get my crawling practice in....... and it can not blow fast enuff to ruin the day!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

You've missed a couple of things on this thread: Wifowler wasn't planning to build a 6mm rifle, one of his buddy's was.

And several pages back Wifowler posted that his buddy had decided on the .243.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bugger,

You've missed a couple of things on this thread: Wifowler wasn't planning to build a 6mm rifle, one of his buddy's was.

And several pages back Wifowler posted that his buddy had decided on the .243.

At my suggestion...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How do you like cactus and rattlesnakes?
I used to use a 25-06 with 75 gr HP Hornady bullet, hits were spectacular but a lot of heat made me realize I could do almost the same thing with half the powder in a .223
I don't think I have ever gone home because of wind.
Rain can be a problem if the soil is clay.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've shot most of my dogs with the 223, but I really like the tune up on longer ranges with the 6mm's.

As far as the wind in MT, I've never gone home as a result but I have had the percentages go way down! The dogs don't seem to like it either so they can be few and far between.

I've got three days scheduled in Montana this year on towns that haven't been shot at for at least a year!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.