Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I noticed that the .338 Federal has been chambered in 6 Savage models for this year. I've always liked this little .338 cartridge and my dad has used one off and on for several years. His, with 210 Partitions, is quick death to most everything and anything inside of 350 yards. I wonder with the new offerings from Savage, if the round will make a come back?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just hope they make more brass soon!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I doubt it. I e seen about 5 of them for sale since they came out and a grad total of zero boxes of ammo for sale.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's some blue box ammo here but I've stocked enough brass to carry me through my remaining years.

A great cartridge in my little Kimber Montana.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had one and I miss it . Never should have sold that rifle!

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've often seen .338 Federal ammo on shelves in Montana and Alaska, but not in all gun shops, of course. My dad has always been a hand loader, so ammo wasn't ever a big issue for us.

I don't know anybody who has actually owned one and used it on big game that wasn't impressed with this modest .338. I'd like to buy one for myself instead of borrowing dad's all the time. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, it's just wishful thinking on ATK's part. ATK bought Savage last year and they own Federal Cartridge

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yep, I know about the ATK connection. I was just wondering if, with more reasonably priced rifles available in .338 Federal that maybe it would gather more of a following. It originally came out in Sako, right? And then later, in Tikka and Kimber. Was it ever chambered in anything else more "common man-ish"? I don't recall. My father's is a re-barreled Weatherby Vanguard (originally a .308 Win).

I think I recall Mule Deer once writing an article on the .338 Federal that was fairly positive but I can't recall which firearms it was chambered in at the time.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
HC, I feel the same about the 358 Winchester.
However, I must know 20 folks who hunt every season and of those, nobody owns a 338 Federal.
It is kind of like the 325 WSM, it works but never was a favorite for the average guy.
I saw somewhere that most American hunters never venture above 30 caliber.....what a shame, in my opinion.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by huntin_chic
Yep, I know about the ATK connection. I was just wondering if, with more reasonably priced rifles available in .338 Federal that maybe it would gather more of a following. It originally came out in Sako, right? And then later, in Tikka and Kimber. Was it ever chambered in anything else more "common man-ish"? I don't recall. My father's is a re-barreled Weatherby Vanguard (originally a .308 Win).

I think I recall Mule Deer once writing an article on the .338 Federal that was fairly positive but I can't recall which firearms it was chambered in at the time.

Ruger chambered them for a while.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought my dad one in the AW Ruger Hawkeye. It shoots great and hammers whitetails.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Use 308 Brass.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perception is 90% of this business, just like every other. In most peoples minds, rounds like the .338 Federal:

Kick too much
Don't shoot flat enough
Are too big for deer

True or not, that's how ordinary folks view cartridges in this category. Added to the lack of available rifles and ammo, it's a deal killer. Winchester lost several shirts trying to sell medium-bore, moderate powered rounds.

Just be thankful the .338 Fed is based on the .308 instead of some non-standard case so it's easy to feed.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive owned a 358 BLR for near 30 years after I saw how effective it was in my hunting partners hands loaded with a 250 grain speer bullet over 44 grains of imr 4064, and in all that time (35 plus years) theres been other guys in our elk hunting club that have purchased similar 358 win BLRs and I'b be amazed if more than 3% of the cartridges fired through any of those rifles did not have a 308 win head stamp. as a result I don,t see ammo as a serious concern in a 338 fed which is very similar

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Misc/358%20Winchester/The%20358%20Winchester.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is going the way of the .358 Win, but I don't think it will have the same cult following because of the various rifles that were chambered for the .358

I even have a mannlicher schoenauer carbine in .358 When I had my BLR .358, it would shoot an inch. It was very handy for hogs and deer.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right about the ammo situation, of course, for most of us on here, but to the average guy, who already views handloading as something akin to brewing your own beer or raising bees, the notion of producing ammo for one cartrtidge using brass from another sounds like building your own airplane.

Every few years, someone writes an article on the virtues of the .358, and it causes a brief flurry of activity on Gunbroker and maybe two guys have rifles built or re-barreled. But then the fire dies down until next time.

I'd like to see Savage bring back the 99, chambered in .338 Federal, along with some others, but it will likely never happen.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntin_chic

His article was with a Kimber. At the time Sako, Tikka, Kimber and Ruger had rifles. I do think it was a mistake to not have much in the way of Remington, Savage or other lower priced rifles available. Then again, I don't know how much sway Federal had in that regards. Being that it's Federal's cartridge, I suspect ammo will always be produced. Availability is another issue. I asked them about some availability and they said the 200 Trophy Bonded Tip ammo was supposed to be produced last December. I have not asked or looked to see if it's available. Lapua 308 Win brass works great so I'm not worried about having ammo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JES rebores/rechambers the 338 Federal. Shortly after the 338 Fed came out, I talked to Mr. O about having a Savage 99 in 300 rebored/rechambered to 338 Fed, but he told me that (at that time) he had done a couple of 338 Feds on the Savage 99 and the owners were seeing high pressure signs with factory ammo. Apprised of the risk involved, I opted not to have the work done and I think that Mr. O's warning, knowing that he was likely turning away work, speaks well of him.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 338 Federal makes a nice little rifle when built on a Remington Model 7. The Bass Pro shop had a bunch of ammo in stock when this last shortage started. I think I had the only rifle within 100 miles that fired the 338 Fed. The ammo shelves would be nearly empty and there would be all this 338 Federal stacked up there. I'd pick up a box or two every time I went. I found out that I was a hoarder about that time…

Harry
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Use 308 Brass.

I do and can. The primary reason I want correct head stamped brass isn't necessarily for me. I have a few young kids coming up and they're all into hunting/shooting. They're all pretty young and I try to teach them everything I can. It's just a safety thing I'm concerned about for the next few years. They'll learn the loading game in time too...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.