Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
For [bleep] sake. If I had a nickel for every gun I've had to hammer open I'd be a millionaire.

Reload and keep shooting.

Travis

I you had a nickel for all the rounds you fired while hammered . . . . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Well, my action is toast, anyone need some Mex Mauser parts?

I will make a great tomato stake . . . .

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you are okay, Badge.
That said, I'm gonna keep on with the Blue Dot. It's been tractable for me and I've only had one excursion or exciting moment with the stuff.
But diligent work with no distractions is the key. I always give everything a good squint under a bright light before the bullet happens. And I don't use cases large enough to allow a double charge.
You might be able to salvage much of the Mex. SARCO has been listing Dumoulin actions and stripped bolts. So good luck there.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steelhead
When I want to sling 6mm bullets at slower speeds without using a bunch of power, I use my 6x45.

Pistol powder is best left to pistols.

I totally agree with you ... pistol powder is best left to pistols.

Just think of the time/pressure curve. It's not a pretty picture.

Many years ago, I was getting some really fine accuracy out of IMR-4227 with 150-grain bullets in a .30-'06. An old friend of mine who was probably the world's expert in the t/p curve at the time, Ted Curtis, simply cringed. Ted, who was probably 90-years old at the time, asked me "Young man, do you know how close to 'detonation' you are?"

That was the last time I shot an inappropriate powder in a rifle. It simply is not worth it.

Blessings to the OP and I'm glad you didn't lose a hand, an eye or an arm.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by rifle
A few more things I have learned on the 'Fire...

A.Don't pour gasoline down a yellow jacket hole...

WTF? Best way to get rid of the nasty little buggers, especially when a match is added soon afterward.

Now pouring Blue Dot down a yellow jacket hole would be interesting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I luv me some 5744 when loading low power rifle cartridges. Bulky enough to make some nice, accurate low speed reloads out of. I have even used it for 30/30 speed loads with a 300 Ultra Mag and a quite comfortable to shoot ground squirrel loads with a 416 Rigby and 300gr bullets.

Glad you are OK! Go get some AA5744 and rock on.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last batch of 223's I loaded were with red dot. My Lyman manual must be f'd up. Actually I think almost every powder listed is a "pistol" powder. If I'm not mistaken imr 4227 was the slowest powder listed for the 55gr. I think I'll call them in the morning. They seem to be confused on what's a "rifle" powder and what's a "pistol" powder.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot's of difference in a 223 and a 243AI...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Had a 17 grain Blue Dot 55 grain nosler load possibly destroy my 243 AI today. I weighed every load and seated each bullet right after powder was poured into the case. It's possible to get a double load in one, but I'm pretty positive I didn't. The shot was loud, I felt some particals hit my face, and the bolt is stuck so tight it can't be hammered open. Other than having to change my shorts I had no injuries.

Were you using a powder measure or dispenser?

Did you weigh each loaded round individually after loading?

I think I missed the answer to these questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot's of difference in a 223 and a 243AI...

I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure I could have fit 2 charges in the case, probably closer to 3. Not saying that's what happened to the OP. Just saying "pistol" powders aren't just pistol powders. I'll look up the 243 loads when I go out to the shop.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's in the first sentence from the OP...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BMT
Well, my action is toast, anyone need some Mex Mauser parts?

I will make a great tomato stake . . . .

Don't all Mausers?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
montanabadger,

How many rounds had been fired through that barrel?

One phenomenon that's been noted by more than one ballistics lab is pressure spikes when a rifle throat gets a little wear on it. This contrary to the popular belief that pressures drop as the throat wears, but the first roughness ("gator skin") apparently increases pressures due to friction. This is erratic, as might be expected, but what apparently happens is the bullet hangs up slightly, especially if seated close to the lands--which aren't really worn away at this early stage, just roughened. With a relatively small amount of fast-burning powder, the pressure can spike VERY quickly when the bullet sticks a little in the throat.

I've just started doing some research into various aspects of reduced loads for various magazine articles, because reduced loads seem to be responsible for more rifle blow-ups than full-power loads. Will be talking to the technicians in major pressure labs to find out what's what, but have had enough "interesting" experiences of my own to begin to be skeptical of using small amounts of fast-burning powder in any case much larger than the .223 Remington with jacketed bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a 17 grain Blue Dot 55 grain nosler load possibly destroy my 243 AI today. I weighed every load and seated each bullet right after powder was poured into the case. It's possible to get a double load in one, but I'm pretty positive I didn't. The shot was loud, I felt some particals hit my face, and the bolt is stuck so tight it can't be hammered open. Other than having to change my shorts I had no injuries.

OP: Glad you are okay, and kudos to you for having the cajones to post your experience. If taken in the right vein, it can serve as a learning experience and wake- up call for the rest of us.

Some form of quality control is always needed when loading. What that consists of is your choice, as you are probably the Pres., VP, Chief of Operations, Accountant, Quality Manager, Technician, Supply Clerk, and Sanitation Engineer in your operation. Your Quality Manager would insist on a 2nd pair of eyes to inspect each step of the operation, and unless you have a willing assistant handy, this falls on your shoulders. I prefer the General Visual Inspection method followed by a tactical feel check with a small brass rod to verify powder depth.

Hopefully we can all learn from your experience.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
montanabadger,

How many rounds had been fired through that barrel?

One phenomenon that's been noted by more than one ballistics lab is pressure spikes when a rifle throat gets a little wear on it. This contrary to the popular belief that pressures drop as the throat wears, but the first roughness ("gator skin") apparently increases pressures due to friction. This is erratic, as might be expected, but what apparently happens is the bullet hangs up slightly, especially if seated close to the lands--which aren't really worn away at this early stage, just roughened. With a relatively small amount of fast-burning powder, the pressure can spike VERY quickly when the bullet sticks a little in the throat.

I've just started doing some research into various aspects of reduced loads for various magazine articles, because reduced loads seem to be responsible for more rifle blow-ups than full-power loads. Will be talking to the technicians in major pressure labs to find out what's what, but have had enough "interesting" experiences of my own to begin to be skeptical of using small amounts of fast-burning powder in any case much larger than the .223 Remington with jacketed bullets.
It's a new lilja SS with less than 100 rounds fired. Barrel was not harmed.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The advice I've used is that one should only use rifle powders in rifle cartriages because they operate at much higher pressures. Some powders, particularly shotgun powders, are not tested for shot to shot stability at higher rifle pressures.
I've been known to load some reduced rifle loads using powders like IMR/H 4227 and IMR 4198. Because they can go critical quickly, I stay well away from their published maximum, like 10% or less.
I've also had published loading data exhibit excessive pressures in high pressure handgun loads. Accurate Arms, for instance, used to publish data for their #2 ball powder in the 10mm pistol cartriage. I couldn't get anywhere near their loads w/o bulged cases. They no longer list that powder for their 10mm loading data. E

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's in the first sentence from the OP...

No, he didn't answer exactly. If he used a powder measure to drop the charges, then the problem is easily knowable.

If he did not weigh each loaded case upon finishing, then he will never know if he had an overcharge or not.

The obvious culprit in this scenario is an overcharged case. It's simply a matter of finding out how it got overcharged.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
A powder measure was used and each load was weighed, no l didn't weigh the loaded cases, but the remaining ones will be checked out.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We should outlaw BlueDot, or possibly handloading altogether. Can I get a 2nd?

LOL
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Probably a 2'nd and a third from Obama!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.