Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm about 5 years out from retirement and me and the wife are starting to make plans on where we may move to. I have lived all my 46yrs here in South Alabama and we have decided we would enjoy a mountain view for a while... the only kicker is we don't want to get to far away from our Bama roots. So if you were limited to TN, North Georgia, or one of the Carolina's from a hunting angle for deer, turkey, and other game birds and fresh water fishing which area would you choose and why? Thanks DD

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what the georgia mountains are like, but South Carolina has an unholy amount of deer you can shoot, and north carolina you can bag 6.

Lots of trout in NC, and turkey as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might want to consider Virginia as well. The limit in most of the state is 2-per-day. Even in the non-overrun areas, you can take 5. Plenty of turkey (3 per year). Excellent waterfowl on the Bay and Tidewater, but upland birds are few and far between or on private shooting preserves. Freshwater fishing is excellent.

Both NC and VA have excellent bear hunting. TN has boar, as so some very limited areas in the Smokies in NC. SC has boar in the lowlands, I believe. SC, NC, and VA have coastal fishing and hunting opportunities as well.

If you look at the mountains of both Carolinas, TN, North Georgia, and Virginia, you're not going to go far wrong.

You've got 5 years. Start taking some road trips on long weekends and some vacation time off to visit places and see for yourself.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
AL has a lot going for it regarding deer and turkey. I live in the NE corner and it's mountains so you don't have to leave AL for mountains. I hunt the mountains in NW GA as well. Haven't hunted the NE side of GA though.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 02/24/15. Reason: correct GA sides
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I live in western NC, near the TN border, west of Asheville. The woods around here are in general pretty mature, not supporting a lot of deer. Turkey and bear and trout in abundance.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Deputydad
I'm about 5 years out from retirement and me and the wife are starting to make plans on where we may move to. I have lived all my 46yrs here in South Alabama and we have decided we would enjoy a mountain view for a while... the only kicker is we don't want to get to far away from our Bama roots. So if you were limited to TN, North Georgia, or one of the Carolina's from a hunting angle for deer, turkey, and other game birds and fresh water fishing which area would you choose and why? Thanks DD

Going thru the reverse thought process that you are , deciding on SC or AL for retirement and possibly Georgia none in a mountain area . If you like taxes then by all means move to NC grin. I was up in Boone last weekend and I think everyone that lives up there is tired of the 2014 and 2015 winter I can tell you that.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We will probably keep a place down here also, I am just trying to get an idea in which direction to push the Mrs., we have traveled through and like most the areas but just didn't know which area most thought would be kinda the best all around from just an outdoors point of view. I have been on several different state forums reading just to get ideas....Thanks again and keep the ideas a flowing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SC low country!

Deer season: Aug. 15 - Jan. 1 (no limit on buck deer, 3 inches of visible antler is legal definition of a buck.)

Turkey season: March 15 - May 1 (5 gobbler limit)

Hogs: No closed season

Lots of fishing opportunities too.

PASS IT ON!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
How are the taxes in SC?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend in the mountains of NC and he goes to AL to deer hunt 3 or 4 time a year. You may already be in the sweet spot.

Last edited by 54Woody; 02/24/15.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 54Woody
I have a friend in the mountains of NC and he goes to AL to deer hunt 3 or 4 time a year. You may already be in the sweet spot.

+1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where I hunt now the season last till Feb. 10th, I would probably come home and spend the last couple weeks of the season here in South AL. Kinda hoping for the best of both worlds. I guess if you live your whole life on the sandy beach then for at least a while you just feel like a little change of pace might be nice.... More of a duel residence... Thanks again

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Where I hunt now the season last till Feb. 10th, I would probably come home and spend the last couple weeks of the season here in South AL. Kinda hoping for the best of both worlds. I guess if you live your whole life on the sandy beach then for at least a while you just feel like a little change of pace might be nice.... More of a duel residence... Thanks again

In that case the mountains would be fine. Al,TN,SC,NC and GA have nice places for that. Just be aware of the different states cost of living and tax structures.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Very true on taxes and cost of living... have a lot to look into, thanks again

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Consider going a little west too. The Ozarks in south MO and north AR are awesome and depending where you are in AL may not be much further than VA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live just south of Knoxville and can see the smokys from my deck and be there in 30 mins or less. East Tennessee is beautiful. Taxes are the lowest I've ever seen - no state income tax.

The downside - deer/turkey hunting sucks. The fishing is very good if you like bass and trout. Throw in a striper or two and you won't be bored.

If it were me, I'd live in east Tennessee and plan on traveling to AL to deer/turkey hunt. You'll be retired so you'll have the time to do that.

If you're interested in TN drop me a pm and we'll discuss. I moved here 7 years ago and plan to die here.

As to the"winter" do a google search on Meadville Pa and get back to me on winter in NC or TN wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bwinters
I live just south of Knoxville and can see the smokys from my deck and be there in 30 mins or less. East Tennessee is beautiful. Taxes are the lowest I've ever seen - no state income tax.

The downside - deer/turkey hunting sucks. The fishing is very good if you like bass and trout. Throw in a striper or two and you won't be bored.

If it were me, I'd live in east Tennessee and plan on traveling to AL to deer/turkey hunt. You'll be retired so you'll have the time to do that.

If you're interested in TN drop me a pm and we'll discuss. I moved here 7 years ago and plan to die here.

As to the"winter" do a google search on Meadville Pa and get back to me on winter in NC or TN wink

Not speaking about winter in TN no experience with it but Boone is a college town that has the traffice of Manhattan and yet is filled with Retirees from Florida go Figure.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/meadville/pennsylvania/united-states/uspa1020

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/boone/north-carolina/united-states/usnc0072

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

TENNESSE!!!!!! I highly recommend it! I moved here from NY 3 years ago. I moved here for the fishing and hunting and have not been disappointed.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
TN could also have some tax benefits.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deputydad
My son a LEO in So. CA. is on about the same schedule to retirement and he has bought land in SC, Aiken Co. I believe. Plans on building in next couple of years. I told him when he is settled in he needs to fix me up with a turkey hunt. Good luck in your choice. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,076
Posts18,463,825
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.