Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 7mm rem. I am wanting a good bullet for long range(500-1000 yard) practice along with mid to long range (200-600 yard) hunting capabilities on deer.

I know the accubonds are accurate and good for hunting, but I can get twice the a-maxes for the cost of the accubonds and they should be accurate and hold velocity at longer ranges.

I've dialed in the 168 matchkings but would like one bullet and load I can practice with for paper punching and using hunting, without costing too much.

In my experience, accubonds, matchking and gamekings, A-max's, and tsx's consistently give the best accuracy in the multiple calibers I've owned

If I were to go for bigger animals, I'd definately step it up to a tougher bullet.

Anyone hunt with the A-max?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't help with the A-max but would ask why not try the Gameking? It was designed for your purpose...

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The A-max has a much higher BC, but the gamkings would definitely still work for the hunting distances I specified. The amax would be better for long range target practice though. Just trying to have a bullet do double duty, but I might be expecting too much.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd not worry about an Amax on deer. I have seen them zook more than a few times in 6.5 and 7mm..but for deer size critters i wouldnt worry much, cept if meat/cape damage is a concern.I've never seen,and dont expect to see a deer walk off a good hit from an Amax

but,IME the good ol' hornady HPBT is a better game bullet than the Amax.

I prefer Scenars and Bergers for hunting, but there is a big price difference from the Hornady bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Questions like this, is always like opening a can of worms. You may want to try the LRX. It may be the best of both worlds and what you are looking for IF you have enough twist to stabilize it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...ameter-168-grain-lrx-boat-tail-box-of-50

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please shoot Accubonds and get closer.

you probably can't shoot 600 yards

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
Just trying to have a bullet do double duty, but I might be expecting too much.

You're not. I have absolutely no qualms about using the 162s (or the 6.5 140s) on deer at those distances. Used them out of my 7 WSM last year on a culling job. 40-42 deer over two days out to a hair over 680. Like Roscoe said they can be messy up close at those starting velocities, but I was still getting complete pass throughs on the long end of those ranges. Some of them stem to stern....

Last edited by joshf303; 02/25/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just about any bullet out of a 7 RM will kill deer. One thing I like about the 7 RM is that it is usually easy to get multiple loads to shoot at our near the same point of impact, at least at 100 yds. I have had 140s, 160s and 175s all go into less than 1.5" groups from at least three different rifles. The others I never bothered to use anything other than various 160s.

Any of the sleeker hunting bullets will stay within +/- 2" of the target bullets of the same weight for a long ways off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Please shoot Accubonds and get closer.

you probably can't shoot 600 yards
maybe you can't, but I can. I'm not a long range junky and I've taken deer at 15 yards before. Out here in SD we have lots of open land and I want to try some longer shots once in a while instead of always stalking extremely close with no cover, low crawling for miles. I've regularly shot iron sights to 300m, so 600 with a scope and only taking the shot when the situation allows, should be no problem. I'm not a guy that just takes pop shots at deer. I always choose my shots wisely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can admit. I can't.

Hunting in Michigan and annually in SE Ohio. Woods hunting

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Target bullets are for shooting targets.

Big game Hunting bullets are for killing Big game.

Varmint bullets are for killing varmints.

Since the first 7x57 went to the range or into the hunting field, real sportsmen knew the difference.

More time spent with Bell, Keith, Hunter, O'Connor and less time watching American Sniper might result in a return to hunting.

While I love long range shooting at paper and gongs, I would never insult a wonderful big game animal by taking a shot where a hundred variables over which I have no control could cripple an animal. IME, once 300 yards is passed the "cripple curve" goes up like a F22 Raptor.

Short answer: no an AMax, Match King, Berger or other target bullets are not hunting bullets regardless of the hype. You must have a bullet that will break bones, make two holes and wreck the vitals in between. There are hundreds of them from the classic partition to the latest mono metal wonder bullets.
Why take the chance ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting popcorn.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 7x64FN

Since the first 7x57 went to the range or into the hunting field, real sportsmen knew the difference.

More time spent with Bell, Keith, Hunter, O'Connor and less time watching American Sniper might result in a return to hunting.

While I love long range shooting at paper and gongs, I would never insult a wonderful big game animal by taking a shot where a hundred variables over which I have no control could cripple an animal. IME, once 300 yards is passed the "cripple curve" goes up like a F22 Raptor.

Short answer: no an AMax, Match King, Berger or other target bullets are not hunting bullets regardless of the hype. You must have a bullet that will break bones, make two holes and wreck the vitals in between. There are hundreds of them from the classic partition to the latest mono metal wonder bullets.
Why take the chance ?

So what your saying is you don't have a fuggin clue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly. Lotsa talk without much experience using those bullets on game...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Exactly. Lotsa talk without much experience using those bullets on game...

Apparently......

I always love the " must have a complete pass through" or " I gotta have two holes" argument.

Hands down.... Those " target" bullets have provided more DRTs for me than all the "big game, hunting bullets" combined that I ran prior. But that's just shooting well over a 100 WTs a year so it must just be a WAG.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Why take the chance ?

Probably time to get with the times.... do a bit of research. Talk to some folks that have WORKING knowledge of things and so on...

As to variables past 300, there are enough shaky folks at 100 that have no business. Max distance is where you are able to make the shot 200% of the time and that can vary from minute to minute.

I don't know about anyone else but I've shot in winds strong enough on a target range that I would not have shot at game at 200 yards....on other days 200 yards offhand is a gimme. I've shot on days at paper where the wind has snapped 2x4 carriers in half... but not at game. On calm days I've killed game first shot over 800 yards out there... and I've done it with all kinds of bullets.

In fact IMHO using some cup and core bullets that are "hunting" bullets in certain situations would be worse than using a good "target" bullet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have not tried them in 7mm, but they work fine in a 308. The Amax is soft and frangible, so often it does not pass through especially if the shot is close where it will fragment more. They are good for heart/lung shot placement. I prefer the SMK's which penetrate better as I tend more toward the high shoulder on large deer, but both are effective.

Because these discussions occur over and over, I made a video with each bullet. My wife is running the rifle. The shot placement on the deer is at the base of the neck at the crease with the shoulder impacting the spine. The pig is shot at the base of the ear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals. I also respect the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.
In hole was one caliber and closed, there was no exit hole. Had a gust of wind drifted that bullet on to a stout bone, there would have been a lost animal.

Get close, use a hunting bullet and you'll put meat in the freezer. If you want to impress folks with your 600+ yard shots, stick to gongs and paper.

Find an experienced PH or Guide who will disagree ..... well you won't.

If I draw this year, my speed goat rifle will be this. A long "44 Magnum", anyone want to bet I won't put one in the cooler ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.
In hole was one caliber and closed, there was no exit hole. Had a gust of wind drifted that bullet on to a stout bone, there would have been a lost animal.

You seem to have forgotten the part of that article where John Barsness recounts deliberately shooting big feral goats through the shoulder, trying to make the Berger VLD bullets blow up. The bullets all penetrated the shoulder before expanding.

This thread is about deer, we're not extrapolating to elk or eland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals. I also respect the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.

Get close, use a hunting bullet and you'll put meat in the freezer. If you want to impress folks with your 600+ yard shots, stick to gongs and paper.

Find an experienced PH or Guide who will disagree ..... well you won't.

If I draw this year, my speed goat rifle will be this. A long "44 Magnum", anyone want to bet I won't put one in the cooler ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huh, interesting... I've got a boss in Alaska that's got a bit of "experience" that would whole-heartedly disagree, as he's seen a plethora of Dall sheep and Goats killed with A-Maxes. And I guarantee if somebody showed up with that gigantic POS you posted they'd be laughed back into the gear garage to grab a different rifle.

Tanner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.