Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by asphaltangel

There could be worse places than Yak, but Billings wins and easily.

Billings is worse than Yakima Washington?

You don't comprehend well, do you?

Billings WINS over Yak, though there are worse places than Yak.

Savvy?

O.k. You had me worried there for a minute.

Crazy; not stupid.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I was born and raised in the Billings area and in the late 50 and early 60's it was a cool town. we built hot rods and would go to Bozeman to drag race on weekends. Then Bozeman was a neat little town but it soon became full of Kalifornia interlopers and then home to the first Montana Queer Cowboy Rodeo.

So you moved to WA where there are no queers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of queers....but they don't rodeo. At least not in public.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Yakima, as in the city, is an epic chithole.

Lots of great country around it though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Billings is pretty much the hub for MT.

Drugs, freight, airport, hospital, big livestock auction yards, oil refineries, Cabelas.... way too many people and way too busy for me. About 320 miles away from here.

Kinda reminds me of a smaller Spokane(industry aside).

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I keep sticking my toe in the Montana water with my wife to see if she'll go for a move. The latest was last week when a job I'm well qualified for popped up on Manhattan, Montana. Pics of the area look nice, if a little thin on trees and I see it's near Bozeman, which I understand is a college town and probably fairly liberal.

I'll never understand the fixation people have on trees.

Travis

Hell- you got all the trees in the world in them bottoms, compared to much of the Arctic. At least you can drive far enough to visit them.... smile

All them leaves, pollen, damned squirrels, birds waking you up at daylight with that squaking... who needs 'em?

My FIL lives in Miles City, right next to the golf course under those huge cottonwoods.....

Last edited by las; 02/24/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Well looks like got the job

Thanks again for all of the input. Looking forward to doing a lot of bird hunting and fly fishing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kewl..

Let us know when you land.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by ribka
A possible job transfer opportunity might come up in the near future for a position in Billings, MT. I hunt and fish quite a bit in MT and have Driven through Billings a few dozen times.

Any input on quality of life in Billings? Home prices in good areas, etc? Decent airport to fly out of to other cities?

I know gets cold in winter and hot in summer.

Where are you moving from?

Yakima WA area. I live in a log home now off of the grid up in the mountains of central WA. Yakima is about 80 per cent Mexican. Drive by shootings, tweekers everywhere, Mexican street and drug gangs, drug cartels, etc.

Nice area but the crime is terrible here.

Will miss fishing for salmon and halibut and lings in the salt though

Thanks guys for all of the input

Fingers crossed now. Guess will have to sell the truck and pick a Subaru if I move to Montana though

ribka
Go and don't look back . We left the Yakima area 2 yrs. ago. Good luck.
slenk

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good! Billings is the Big City to us here, but I used to live there. As mentioned lots of outdoor opportunities...but you have to go 90 miles for any of them.Housing should be good, check out outlying areas like Laurel . As Rancho said, let us know when you land.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I landed in Cody, WY, back in 1978 and soon found out that Cody is simply part of the outskirts of Billings so we were in Billings quite often. So when I moved here in 2004 it was just like I came up here and forgot to go back home. I still go to Cody quite often but don't miss it very much. Especially the wind.

I like living here just fine and have found that the most liberal thing around is the local rag known as the Billings Gazette but the way to stay away from that is just to not read it. Political views of other people don't influence or impress me much. Use of the "ignore button" is not found only here on the 'fire.

All kinds of housing is available and schools are just about like lots of other places with the exception of racial problems. In other words, not bad. Plenty of places to eat with more coming in while others are going belly up. Most of the difference in the food joints is the price. More expensive doesn't always mean more better.

Cabela's is not on my list of places to visit, especially with having a Scheel's store in town. Much better than Cabela's.

And as Travis said, drugs seem to be easy to come by. Drive by shootings are rare but some of the local law enforcement people take pot shots at some of the locals on occasion. They need to practice that more often, I think.

The weather is very seldom bad enough either way to do much complaining about. Anyway I found out long ago that whining and complaining doesn't really change anything so save your breath for when you head to the Beartooth Mountains or some other high altitude hangout.

I could go on and on but gonna just sum it up by saying I would rather live here than any other place I have ever been. Including Havre. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
ribka: if you are Leaving Yakima to go to Billings, you'll find it refreshing. I lived in Yakima for a brief time and while the climate there is fantastic...thats where it ends.Billings climate is not fantastic, but not awful....and Yakima is a schitthole anyway you slice it......Billings is more tolerable, if only because you can actually get away from it in an hour or so.....and oh, I forgot to mention, if you like to trout fish, they have real trout there...not planted stockers...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.