Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
My co-worker needs a new set of binoculars and has a budget of $500, Doug has these two for $499.99. Not having any experience with Zen-Ray myself how to they stack up compared to other $500 binoculars?

Thanks

Ted
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never handled the Prime, but I've owned two sets of the Zen ED3 and currently have the Viper HD 10x42mm.

Optically, most folks will say the Zen's hold a slight edge, but my eyes cannot tell the difference. Both binos control glare extremely well for a binocular at that price point; you can glass in the direction of a low, setting winter sun with confidence.

The Viper definitely wins when it comes to build quality and fit/finish. The Zen's exterior finish appears to be of low quality when sitting beside the Viper.

Both binos have excellent customer service and warranty.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks StudDuck, I keep hearing the glass in both is great but the higher quality build and finish of the Vortex is a huge plus.

Ted
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What higher quality build and finish would that be? Does not exist. Both finish and quality are about the same, Prime has better glass. IMHO

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SteveC99
What higher quality build and finish would that be? Does not exist. Both finish and quality are about the same, Prime has better glass. IMHO

It would be comparing the two side by side and sending the ED3 back to Camera Land.

I'm speaking of the two sets I've owned; the armor on the ED3 was not joined well at the seam that runs vertically up the barrels. The armor was in a "bind"/buckled at the bridge and it was cut crooked at the bridge; Doug from CL even stated it shouldn't have made it out of the shop, but maybe his glasses were fogged when he inspected them.

I have the utmost respect for your reviews on optics Steve, but I have 20/20 vision and had no problems seeing the flaws in the armor of the Zens I've owned.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by SteveC99

It would be comparing the two side by side and sending the ED3 back to Camera Land.

I'm speaking of the two sets I've owned; the armor on the ED3 was not joined well at the seam that runs vertically up the barrels. The armor was in a "bind"/buckled at the bridge and it was cut crooked at the bridge; Doug from CL even stated it shouldn't have made it out of the shop, but maybe his glasses were fogged when he inspected them.

I have the utmost respect for your reviews on optics Steve, but I have 20/20 vision and had no problems seeing the flaws in the armor of the Zens I've owned.

My point was the build quality and optical quality is about the same. The views are about the same too. What in the world does flaws in the armor have to do with optical view and 20/20 vision? They are offering a binocular to meet demanding optical needs at less than $1,000. I'd a heck of a lot rather deal with flaws in the armor than elsewhere.

You may well send the ED 3 back. Somebody else may send them all back. Nothing is perfect at that, or for that matter any, level. My point was nothing more than curiosity as to what the poster I was replying to thought as flaws.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.