Print Thread
Hop To
#9633975 02/24/15
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey guys, I hang out over on the Savage forum, but I've got a hankerin for a single shot. I'm getting ready to retire and I've been going over my wish list of guns. I'd like to build a custom in 22 Hornet, falling block, rolling block, maybe break open, no bolt gun. Pre WWII, ex military is OK. My parameters are pretty open. The action has to be strong enough for the 22 Hornet, that's about it. There is a Martini Cadet on GB that is along the lines of what I want, but $1600 is out. I want to have it built to my specs. What other actions, besides the Cadet, should I start looking for?Thanks for any thoughts, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dang, it's tempting to just suggest a Ruger, already with a .22 Hornet barrel...

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Browning or Winchester low Wall.....

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I thought of the low walls, but I didn't want something new out of the box. I wanted something different, a bit unusual. One of my other wish list guns would be a 30-40 Krag custom take down in 35 WCF. The 30-40 would probably do all the 35 WCF would, it just wouldn't be what I want. I just remembered I have an old Fladermans down stairs some where. If I can dig it out I'll do some window shopping and see what I come up with. Last night I checked "single shots" on GB and kinda liked the old Stevens. Keep the Ideas coming. Who knows what will ring my bell, thanks, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Taylors imports low walls that have a little more old timey character than the Browning/Winchester ones, including nice iron sights.

The Ballard Rifle Co. has all kinds of neat stuff on their site. If nothing else, they might provide you with some ideas.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The thing is, Joe, buying a single shot (whether it be a complete rifle to cannibalize the action, or a bare action) that fits your specifications won't be cheap. After performing all the modifications, new barrel, new wood, sights/scope, you will likely have enough in it to make that $1600 Martini look good. But sometimes a not-cost effective custom rifle is just good for the soul!

We can hash out this idea a bit more on our road trip next month. I'm thinking along the same lines, and am hell bent to start with a Martini cadet (or other small BSA or Greener action). But of course if a trashed out original LoWall fell into my lap I wouldn't kick it away.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the expensive part.

Whatever you do in the way of a custom, be dang sure it's what you want, because you will never get your money out of it, especially a niche item like you're discussing here.

The Ballard stuff is very nice, but it will cost you dearly. Lots of what they show online has no price listed; never a good sign.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/25/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just me but Id like a single shot 22HP! but iv never heard of one chambered in the 22hp.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing about the hornet is it really calls for a svelte action. As fine as the Ruger #1 is, it's a large action and IMHO is just overkill for the little hornet.

Some other options to consider is the CPA action, a modern stevens 44 1/2 and for $1100 for a new action not unreasonable.

[Linked Image]

The E Arthur Brown 97

[Linked Image]

(not personally a fan of the aesthetics)

Hagn mini action

[Linked Image]

Not cheap, but for a once in a lifetime rifle might be worth it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You could start with this and have it polished up a bit.

Fraser .22 Hornet

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifles, guys.

Those EABCOs just took a huge price jump. They were interesting, if a little strange looking. Now they're just over-priced. For what they're asking now, you can get a NIB Browning with killer wood off Gunbroker.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The thing is, Joe, buying a single shot (whether it be a complete rifle to cannibalize the action, or a bare action) that fits your specifications won't be cheap. After performing all the modifications, new barrel, new wood, sights/scope, you will likely have enough in it to make that $1600 Martini look good. But sometimes a not-cost effective custom rifle is just good for the soul!

We can hash out this idea a bit more on our road trip next month. I'm thinking along the same lines, and am hell bent to start with a Martini cadet (or other small BSA or Greener action). But of course if a trashed out original LoWall fell into my lap I wouldn't kick it away.

Gary, that's why I didn't send you a PM, figured I'd have trapped for a couple days, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlering
Just me but Id like a single shot 22HP! but iv never heard of one chambered in the 22hp.

John, don't think I wasn't thinking about that too. Looking at a Stevens 44 take down, I was thinking switch barrel, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys, now we're rolling. The CPA looks sweet and I like the Hagn mini. Spending a couple grand isn't out of the question, I just don't want to plop down that kind of money for a NIB rifle. I want to build something special for me, Joe

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
C. Sharps Arms will sell you an 1885 Low Wall action in the white

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like the high wall due to it having an ejector. I just did a project using a Ruger #1 action in 7mm/08. I bought the cheapest gun I could find sold off the barrel and wood. I had it built exactly like I wanted with a 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, skelton grip cap, metal butt, QD rings,cstom built quarter rib, inletted swivel studs and the metal case hardened and exhibition wood. If you want to PM me a e-mail address I'll send pics as I don't know how to post them. I looked at a Dakota but to have one done my way was much more than what I wanted to spend and anything that came close always had that ugly rubber recoil pad.
I know where an original Winchester Low Wall action is but I don't know if it will Handel a 22 Hornet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I like the high wall due to it having an ejector. I just did a project using a Ruger #1 action in 7mm/08. I bought the cheapest gun I could find sold off the barrel and wood. I had it built exactly like I wanted with a 24 inch tapered octagon barrel, skelton grip cap, metal butt, QD rings,cstom built quarter rib, inletted swivel studs and the metal case hardened and exhibition wood. If you want to PM me a e-mail address I'll send pics as I don't know how to post them. I looked at a Dakota but to have one done my way was much more than what I wanted to spend and anything that came close always had that ugly rubber recoil pad.
I know where an original Winchester Low Wall action is but I don't know if it will Handel a 22 Hornet.

Was that an original Ruger #1 in 7mm-08?

That caliber is fairly rare, and sought-after by collectors.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The original low walls are plenty strong enough for a Hornet, if in good condition.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Owning two Hornets I can assure you the are somewhat finicky to reload.

The Ruger Hornets had the wrong twist.

The 22 K Hornet is a far better cartridge as is the new 17 Hornet.

I'd just buy a new low wall, play with it for a bit, then part it out and build the wood and bbl you want.

When you have an action you can put a 600 Nitro in (No. 1) it's just overkill for a light sleek varmint rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.