Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9632072 02/24/15
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I freely admit this may not be a good idea. However, I thought I would give it a try and see what y'all said.

Grandpa was a great sportsman in his day. However, some of his firearm choices were. . . well, not the best. I was digging in the vault the other day and came across an old H&R double-action pistol in 32 S&W. I also found a full box of ammo. My guess is that this pistol was not fired in my lifetime, and probably not since the Truman Administration. I inherited it in 1976, and never bothered with it.

Recently, I got my CCW. I'm probably going to start off with a 45 Auto for my carry piece, but by summer I will probably get a Ruger LCR in 357 MAG. My question for y'all relate to this 32 S&W revolver as concealed piece for self defense.

First off, as best I can tell 32 S&W would be able to plug someone at close range. It's not as powerful as a 380 Auto, but it still could get the job done at close range.

BTW: This is 32 S&W, not 32 S&W Long.

Second, in reading about this chambering, I have seen suggestions that 32 ACP ammo will work in a 32 S&W. Is this true?

Third, have any of y'all tried loading this round? If so, any suggestions? I've found a paucity of data on it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you feel comfortable carrying a 32 then i would carry it , nobody wants to get shot with anything

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I figure it would be better than being stuck with nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .32S&W is BARELY better than nothing.

I took one for a "range session" a good number of years back. The target, an old hub cap, was at about 10 yards. The best the little lemon-squeezer could do was to HIT the hub cap twice out of 5 shots. Neither round penetrated the hub cap, and the second one bounced back off of it, and struck me in the thigh. It failed to penetrate the Carhartt logger pants I was wearing and the bullet fell down next to my boot.

Yeah, it stung a bit, but that was it.

To see whether the hub cap was "bullet proof", I came back the next day with a .22LR Single-Six. I put 6 shots into a quarter at the same distance, off-hand, and all six went right on through the hub cap.

I put the lemon squeezer up, and bought a pistol.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I have to go any farther in this. I'd hate to pull it out and bounce one off some miscreant's bling. Hell, he might even know I was coming and be wearing a hubcap under his hoody!

Thanks. I had feeling it was a bad idea, but I always hate to see hardware go to waste.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot it, but don't depend on it for carry.

I have shot a couple things with the .32S&W. One, for example, was a 'possum at near point blank range. When you have four in the chest of a critter like that, you shouldn't have to put the barrel up to the head for #5. BTW - none of the LRNs exited.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
I have shot a couple things with the .32S&W. One, for example, was a 'possum at near point blank range.

You know grinners are the walking dead form of racoons, don't cha?

They don't stop easy.

For the OP:

I like mouse guns. Really, I do.

but they are a BUG at best, and sometimes, a BUBUG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No exit wounds are what really got my attention on that one. At "in front of your feet" range, there should have been an exit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the S&W's, one can slightly increase the power of the .32, and use better bullets. In a weak action, they are a plinker. Or at best for snakes & pests.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All practical considerations aside, I wouldn't want a family heirloom to be taken from me as evidence and perhaps never returned. Carry something you won't mind losing.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.