-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking back, I think the best thing for a beginner is a rough, gritty, heavy, factory trigger. A crappy trigger will make a shooter work for tiny groups and understand that accuracy doesn't come from a new trigger, high powered scope, or free float rail. Trying to tell someone that isn't easy though as everyone was born a marksman and few are willing to fix the real problem when they can cover it with a bandaid.

As for the rifle configuration above, thats pretty much what I like, although I think the 14.5" barrel length is dumb. The AR has come a long way since the Colt 6920 and there are better options. The problem is there are so many options its just easier to tell someone to start out with a good base rifle and let them learn from there. If someone doesn't like AR's after they shoot a good one, there is something wrong with them. A new trigger and handguard ain't gonna fix it. wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a conversation with 3 old geezer's such as myself last night at a Church meeting and the subject was Golf Clubs. Let's say in the kindest manner that the controversy over which club and why was similar to the conversations we have here. I walked away from that table with a different perspective. Unless your a pro and hit a driver to produce a 90MPH ball, the differences between Golf clubs for everyone not a pro are in mostly in your head. The standard advice of a Colt 6920 and an Aimpoint T1 in a QD LaRue mount plus a decent 3-9 something or whatever scope in the QD LaRue mount is really at the limits of my capability along with probably 90% of the gun golfers here and 99.9999% of the guys wanting to buy their first set of clubs and "get into the game". At past the Colt 6920 limit I now think (my opinion) we are (provided some sort of light mount), talking about ergo's and likes/want's, and of couse its our right to waste money as we see fit! smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The LaRue is an expensive addition to a base rifle when there are other choices that work as well for less... I think its one of those top line golf clubs... just IMHO.

PEPR has let mroe than a few of us shoot tiny groups...as has a WOP base...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How does the PEPR do when you remove it to shoot irons and remount it? I have faith in my LaRue mounts as well as the ADM. The PEPR is $100 or more for the QD version and the LaRue is $210, ADM is $175, I'll pay the difference to KNOW my scope is still zeroed.

Again, start with a good 16 or 18" barrel and buy what suits your style, I like 2 stage triggers, SOPMOD stocks that adjust to fit and skinny float tubes but someone else might be wrong and that's ok! wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, we all run differently... my guns either run irons or optics. I see no need for the use of both.

If I take a PEPR off, its to put a different scope on the gun, and likely change its zero's and ammo at the same time.

I don't see the need for the majority of folks to swap back and forth either.

BUT if thats the case, you should go whole hog or check the mounts.

FWIW I"ve used a couple of other mounts over the years, can't actually call the names other than the leatherwood, and if you watch the way you put it back on, it was usually within a 3-6 inches of return if not on. This at 300 which was my group testing range distance. I personally think a LOT of making them return to zero is snugging in the slots before tightening the "bolts" down. Regardless of mount.

Maybe if it warms up I'll go play with one of mine and get back as to how it does on retunring.

Still makes me laugh thinking that who wiht a deer rifle would take their scope off and on, and what prompts someone with an AR to do the same but works for you, its good for me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
think back 100 years. A Mauser 98, or a Springfield started blurring the lines between tactical, competition and hunting rifles.....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The Daniel Mk12 barrel is 1 in 7" stainless, cold hammer forged, and nitrided - "fancy" smile

More or less a near perfect gun for all things other than a dedicated vehicle gun, IMO..........

I don't want a short barrel for hunting either, gives up too much velocity.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Didn't figure you to be so narrow minded...

I used to swap an Aimpoint for a scope and back when conditions required it. Still pop the scope off and practice with irons too.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The perfect AR-15
[Linked Image][/URL]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Noooo.....My nearly identical AR is the perfect AR!!!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Uhh, yeah, No. The PEPR is well under $100 now. I've seen 'em in the high $'60's via internet email sales.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was comparing the QD model.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Also seen some air soft copies out there so be careful chasing cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
The perfect AR-15
[Linked Image][/URL]

My 6.8 looks like that; FDE everywhere except the receivers. I have not gotten around to getting them coated smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys will probably go hunting next month...

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Didn't figure you to be so narrow minded...

I used to swap an Aimpoint for a scope and back when conditions required it. Still pop the scope off and practice with irons too.

LOL not narrow minded, just have different ARs for different purposes if htat makes sense.

I guess I can see it if you have one or two, but that generally doesn't enter my mind.... my last "purchase" was what most would consider a considerable amount of lowers... LOL.

I don't much like swapping stuff on and off.

Makes sense though now the way you put it. And I've about given up on red dots after some bad issues with them hunting in teh woods. Have about gone to magnified optics or irons and nothing between.

But I bet my eyes get me on the irons eventually.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm going to follow Mav's advice and try a new buffer in my buttstock.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two things that makes a great AR greater is a good barrel and trigger, everything else is just Christmas Decorations

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Spoken as someone who doesn't know how an AR works.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.