Print Thread
Hop To
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
This may be a lost cause, but can the typical pressed checkering used in the 60s and 70s be recut you look like something better? More specifically, can the skip line patterns be made into something more traditional? Many thanks.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

BP-B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I saw an article years ago where someone took a Remington stock with the impressed checkering and by using standard checkering tools, recut the impressed panels and it turned out very well.

I've thought about trying it myself but haven't had the nerve to start cutting on a stock.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, it can. Jim Carmichael wrote about doing this in either an old Gun Digest or one of his Outdoor Life gunsmithing books.

I've checkered a couple of Remington 700 stocks with impressed checkering. Just grab a checking tool and have at it.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 02/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer a bent checkering file or riffler. Slower but then you don't make mistakes as fast. Like digging out too much wood so the checkering has a sunken appearance.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am afraid my attempts would render a good gun stock into fire wood in short order. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know of a checkerer who will do this?

Last edited by S99VG; 02/26/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I saw a magazine article about a fellow by the name of Jose Valencia who would take soome of that pressed stuff and rewoked it. Particularly that basketweave that was on Model 88 Winchesters. It looked darn goood,but he used one of those high speed hand pieces that dentist used

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Save yourself some work. Sand it out smooth and do it right! Or not rechecked at all.

I've done the rework thing twice. Both sucked. Maybe it was just me, but I sanded them both down and did it right.

Be it noted I hate checkering, and other than touching up existing work no longer checker my stocks. Makes no diff in the field and I happen to like the looks better. And it's a he k of a lot easier to refinish as needed.

Last edited by las; 02/26/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Having owned several Rem 700's, the first thing I would do is to recut that UGLY pressed checking. The skip line was easy to recut as regular. Just go slowly until you get the hang and then do it as a liesure hobby, not a 9 to 5 job that has to be done on schedule.

Jim

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Can anyone recommend a stock maker to send a mini-Mauser stock to to be slimmed down, re-checkered, and refinished?

Last edited by turkish; 03/05/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Save yourself some work. Sand it out smooth and do it right! Or not rechecked at all.

I've done the rework thing twice. Both sucked. Maybe it was just me, but I sanded them both down and did it right.

Be it noted I hate checkering, and other than touching up existing work no longer checker my stocks. Makes no diff in the field and I happen to like the looks better. And it's a he k of a lot easier to refinish as needed.

Far easier than trying to sand to depth is to raise the old impressed checkering... Sand a little of the finish off so the ridges have their tops cleaned off then with a damp rag laid on the checkering and a towel on that press it with a hot, hot iron. Most of the impressed areas will start coming up. The old finish will prevent a full raising, but by sanding lightly as it comes up it will gradually increase in speed swelling up.

Generally it will leave good lines to follow and come right up to flush.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have steamed dents out of stocks but never thought of that. Thanks.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
338 members (257 mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.