Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
I'm ok with that, let it evolve....

By Your Leave....

I had a 35 Whelen reamed out of a 760 Rem pump. I made a dummy round for my 'smith and he did EXACTLY what I asked. Now this was in the 80s before Rem made production runs of the 35 Whelen.

Also I had no ideas nor plans of hunting anything other than WT deer so I didn't have it throated for 250 gr bullets AND I never tried them either.

"postoak" no I didn't get 3100 fps BUT @ 3000 fps with the Speer 180 FN. I researched the Whelen and talked with JDJ (Jones) and AT THE TIME- IMR 4320 powder was THE powder for it.

I did try a few others and none came close in velocity (speed) and 4320 gave terrific accuracy.

Someone, don't remember who, gave me enuff Rl 12 to test and it gave considerably less velocity.

I also tested and USED the 200 HSP and it too 'flattened' WT deer. One in particular I will never forget. I was in a stand on a hillside of open hardwoods. This nice size forked horn fed out of the brush behind me. I slowly turned and shot him behind the right front shoulder. He INSTANTLY went stiff legged (all 4) and looked like an ironing board. After a few seconds he fell over on his left side with all 4 legs sticking straight out.

I don't remember exactly how many deer I killed with 180 Speers and 200 HSP but NONE went far and MOST DRT. I shot every one BEHIND the shoulder, avoiding large meaty areas.

That gunsmith has since Passed On and I miss his work. The ONLY reason I got rid of that 35 Whelen pump was the 'SCUTTLEBUTT' said Dupont was discontinuing 4320 powder. WELL we know that didn't happen. eek I could get another but CAN NOT get that one back. smirk

***These are MY loads in MY custom cut chamber/throat, using MY lots of powder and primers***
Exercise caution using YOUR rifle, powder, primers, etc.

* Rem Factory 200 PSPCL -- 2520 fps---advertised 2675 fps. *
These were purchased AFTER the Rem production run.

Hornady 200 HSP - 62 gs - IMR 4320>>>>> 2850 fps
(Rl 12 gave 2750 fps.)

Speer 180 FN - 65 gs - IMR 4320>>>>> 2960--2990--2999
(those are 3 averages using diff lots of powder)

Speer 180 FN ( Reloader 12 )>>> 2875 average.

General Notes:
I did not use Rem cases. I used Federal and Win 06 cases necked up.

My notes say 1986 was my first season to use it. I thot it was a little later than that.

As JRS said, "A Little Miss I Have Known"
cry cry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well, the .270 shoots a bullet that is 7.78% larger than the .25-06, so, you should get 7.78% better blood trails. smirk

grin

I've killed three deer with the .25-06, and five with the .270, and the .270's have all been bang flops. The deer ran more with the .25-06. Which is probably because I've historically loaded the .25-06 fairly mild, and I firewalled the .270 with bullets that expand easily. They don't go anywhere when their heart is mostly disconnected from everything.

But as a practical matter, I doubt caliber makes a lot of difference between the two. Individual bullet/load performance and shot placement will make a bigger difference.

Actually, they do go a long way when the heart is destroyed (disconnected) as the blood has quite a bit of oxygen still in it when headed back to the heart. Removing the pump does nothing to move the blood out of the muscle tissue.

Leaving the suction side of the pump alone and venting the power side moves the blood much faster and it will dump everything within 7 heartbeats (according to a group of cardiac-doc-friends) and the animal will lose consciousness...

I have seen way too many critters run considerable distances with hearts completely destroyed.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 02/24/15. Reason: typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The several heart shot animals I have taken vs other would tend to agree with that.

The specific animal I have in mind is a caribou that I shot the top of the brisket out of at about 360 yards paced (I thought, pre-rangefinder, he was 300 yards). Bone or bullet fragment slicing open the lower part of the heart. I found the bullet jacket in the off-side elbow. Not bad for a Corelokt. He ran about 100 yards straight away, turned, and ran back at an angle for slightly more than that distance to find the perfect sized and shaped bog hole to fall into... I have, and have posted the pictures years ago.

That was with a 180 grain slug out of a 17 inch barreled '06, however.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, have a whole ton of personal anecdotal evidence the docs know of what they speak...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
And all this explains exactly why a .25-06 or a .270 are "perfect", "awesome", "barely adequate","seriously under minimum" and "no damned good" for hunting white tailed deer. No game animal, up to and including elephants go far without a functional heart. However, if you are in the pathway of a "clinically dead" jumbo it becomes a serious personal problem. A heart-shot whitetail that jumps the SOB neighbor's fence is extremely depressing . So much of hunting "depends" that it gets to be unrealistic to be all too certain of much of anything. Is the animal calm or panicked or wounded? What is the bone structure? What caliber or bullet is used or the placement? Is the hunter relaxed or gasping for air? Is the firearm suitable or marginal? Does the animal have a reputation for being "hard to kill"? Wild animals have a penchant for moving around, especially, as I pull the trigger it seems to me. That perfect broadside shot that becomes a neck shot or "a bit far back" happens. My fault (usually) or the not it happens. Anyone who claims to never have missed or botched a shot either does not hunt much or might be prone to stretch the truth. You do your best and live with the results.
The two necked down 30-06 cartridges will do very nicely killing whitetail deer with any bullet that is designed for big game hunting. Flip a coin. On the other hand there are about 200 other calibers and even sticks that will kill also kill deer. IMO

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
shot placement/bullit wight/type of bullit. have used both have both. prefer 257 cal. 25.06/257 bob/257 weatherby. your choice all will do the job.good luck

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

However, if you are in the pathway of a "clinically dead" jumbo it becomes a serious personal problem.

A heart-shot whitetail that jumps the SOB neighbor's fence is extremely depressing . So much of hunting "depends" that it gets to be unrealistic to be all too certain of much of anything.

In 2012 I began hunting 'private' property bordered by 'private' property so...

That's exactly why I've gone to shooting the SCAPULA. No deer can travel, much less jump a fence.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have seen way too many critters run considerable distances with hearts completely destroyed.

Yup.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jericho
An early 70s Remington M700 in .25-06 is all a man could ask for.

Ha. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly, overweight gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by eyeball

Ha. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly, overweight gun.

My 'cinnaments' exactly. WHY carry UNnecessary weight?

Ha. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly, overweight 'PARTNER'

THAT'S right too. <smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have used, and seen both used on a variety of game. No difference in performance with comparable projectiles.

I have three 270s and not a single 25-06 in the safe at this moment. Something tells me I prefer the 270. Probably because I've killed more game with a 270 than all other cartridges combined. It is effective and acheives good velocity with a 22" barrel.

YMMV.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Then, again, if you are still wavering you could split the difference and go with 6.5/264. That might stir the pot. Just saying :-)

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I own and have killed several critters with both and can tell no difference in killing power. If I had to choose one it would be the 270.

-MJS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Then, again, if you are still wavering you could split the difference and go with 6.5/264. That might stir the pot. Just saying :-)

What kind of oddball is that ? 6.5/264

smile

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by jwall

smile

My other brother Daryl called it a 6.5 Polish LOL

SCI Life Member 4**
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Have used, and seen both used on a variety of game. No difference in performance with comparable projectiles.

I have three 270s and not a single 25-06 in the safe at this moment. Something tells me I prefer the 270. Probably because I've killed more game with a 270 than all other cartridges combined. It is effective and acheives good velocity with a 22" barrel.

YMMV.
Have 4-.270's and 1-.25-06,you are behind....again. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen the .25-06 referred to as "The National Rifle of Texas" due to the large number of rifles so chambered used in the state (or Nation as we prefer to say). There is no doubt that the .25-06 is a deadly caliber on whitetail deer at any reasonable range you care to use it.

The .270 has just as good a reputation (if not better) as the .25-06 in Texas as well as the rest of the world. It could be argued that the .270 might be the mythical "perfect" whitetail round.

I have used both chamberings quite a bit and can see little difference in performance and "killing" ability of the two rounds under anything like "normal" conditions...that is, fairly open terrain and medium to long range shots. Both the .25-06 and .270 shine in these situations.

The "fly in the ointment" comes when the conditions are NOT "normal"....as in extremely thick brush and tough tracking conditions. I grew up hunting in the "Big Thicket" of East Texas and have also hunted in the "Brush Country" of South Texas......which compares well to the conditions in deep East Texas (although he "brush" is quite different). The Pacific Northwest (which I have seen) is pretty close to being as thick....but just a bit more open.

Under those conditions, it is NOT about "killing" the game (that is a given with both the .25-06 and the .270) but the "finding" of the animal after it runs and they ALL will run from time to time...even if only 50 yards. In really thick brush, a VERY good blood trail is critical.

I have been critasized (even attached) for saying it, but the .270 is the minimum caliber I would choose for all-around use including really thick brush country. The .25-06 kills just as well but the smaller caliber round just doesn't leave (as a general rule) as good a blood trail....which makes "finding" your kill more difficult.

I bought my own .25-06 specifically as a long range (400 yards or so) Pronghorn rifle and it served me well. However, over the years it spent a lot of time in the gun room while my .270 (or even more often the .30-06) got the most time in the field.

As far as choosing between the .25-06 and the .270 I'd go with the .270 every time. Just as good at long range (with 130 grain bullets) and more useful (at least minimally) on larger game (with perhaps heavier...150-160 grain bullets) on lager game than deer.

If you (like me) can afford a "rifle for every purpose" then the .25-06 is a GREAT long range, smallish weigh game rile (deer / pronghorn) but for a man that is more limited in his arsenal..... .270 is the better choice. Just as good at long range (if not better)...and much better on larger game and thick brush.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

smile

My other brother Daryl called it a 6.5 Polish LOL

laugh laugh

Kindalike MY 284/284-------or 7mm/284 grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

568 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.