-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The smart ones get the fugg out of Missurah!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I had my old short bed truck stuck ON the road above the Pack Saddle bridge. Some jerk in an old Subaru stopped beside me and ask if I was broke down. When I told him "no, stuck" the a----le laughed and drove off. Soon bought new tires. smile
That's kinda funny , unless your the one stuck frown

Last edited by ldholton; 02/26/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
as far as bikes on the sidewalk goes the name is self explaining.
side WALK. imagine the carnage if a bike went down a sidewalk at 20 mph! come to think of it I have seen it happen in Venice Beach.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For all the Subaru and bike lovers, try this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was young and stupid (I am now old), our small town (a real small town, not these 8,000 people "small towns" that you hear about)was so unsophisticated that no one ever saw anything wrong with riding bikes on the sidewalk. I believe that the general consensus was that it kept the kids out from under cars and we were, at an early age, impressed with the understanding that should you be finding yourself on the same block as someone on foot, you hopped off the bike and walked it past them.

In seventh grade, at about that time that most kids' brains melt and run out of their ears, I was tooling back home from downtown, my faithful dog racing along beside me. Suddenly (see point about brain-melt mentioned above) I was overtaken by the question of what would happen if I was to violently turn my handlebars from side to side.

In a flash, the question was answered, and I wound up pretty much combined with my bike in the front yard of a house. As I lay there, cut and bruised, wondering why these things always seemed to happen to me for no reason, my faithful dog decided that the best course of action was to grab the leg of my jeans and attempt to extricate me from my predicament, growling violently all the while.

At this point, the elderly lady whose yard I was occupying came to the door, and in her feeble voice asked, "Are you all right?"

Thinking that the truth would do no one any good, I assured her that not only was I all right, but tried to do so in a manner that would convey the impression that this was something that I had planned out to the smallest detail long before the actual execution of the plan.

After separating myself from the bike, it was apparent that after it had carried me for most of the day, it was now my turn to carry it, so I limped off toward home with all of the dignity that I could muster - my bike under my arm and my faithful dog still attached to my pant leg, shaking her head from side to side and growling.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it funny myself..... now. grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5s-

Great story! Use to not be so complicated!

I once went azz over teakettle and landed in a fire ant hill. I was bloody and bruised, rolling around and whining like a girl when the little fuggers lit into me.

I wish someone had rolled video. I bet it woulda been uber!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my current car is a 1996 Subaru Outback 2.5L, I had it for 15 months now, been fixing things on it! It was all I could afford to buy! This winter its starts with out a hitch and its been sub zero a lot of late and the batt in it is a Wally World special that the sticker says is 5 years old, its been pretty good and it will be even better once I put a proper set of tires on it, Spring is coming and well I figure If I can get another year out of it I will be ok with it, I would never buy a new one, I like not having car payments, have not had one for 21 years now! Its got enough ground clearance to pretty much drive in on my properly and just load the deer I shoot! That in itself makes it an alright car!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice! I got less than 2k in mine. Hell, I've only had it 6 months or so and I figure with the gas I've saved over the F250, it's already paid for itself.

It's all gravy now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by deflave
Holy elitist!

Hardly.

Wanting cyclists to not be able to use the road is 'elitist'...as opposed to 'sharing the road', which is what cyclists want.

Share my dick.

How's that?

Fraternal Order of Not Bicyclists

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bangeye
Antlers I have a direct question for you since you are such a proponent of bikes on the road. How come when available bike riders don't ride on the side walk?

People who put lots of miles on a road bike aren't tootlin' around the neighborhood like a lot of us did when we rode bicycles as a kid. We have specialized bikes that are made specifically for riding on the road, not sidewalks. The smoother the pavement, the better. We go long distances, even up to and over 100 miles during the course of one ride. And we often go as fast as our conditioning and the environment (hills, wind, heat or cold, pavement condition, traffic, etc.) will allow us to. Averaging 20 mph or more, and going well above that sometimes. Riding on the sidewalk is not conducive to any of that. And again, good road bikes aren't made for sidewalks, they're made for the road. I can see how it would be hard to understand for folks who aren't cyclists...especially endurance cyclists...but for those folks here who do ride, and especially those who like to go long on the road, they can verify my answer to your question.

One poster mentioned earlier about a State law where he lived that required cars to give bicyclists on the road 3 feet of room when they pass em'. If they're not able to, then they just gotta wait till they can. Oklahoma has a similar law. Cyclists should get over to the right as much as they safely can, but unless it's illegal for them to ride on a particular stretch of road...they have as much right to be on it with their bicycles as you do with your car or truck.

If you dweebs would stay over on the god damn shoulder it wouldn't be such a problem.

But of course the shoulder is where it's roughest to ride so just ride out into into the ACTUAL lane where cars and semis travel 65-70mph....

Or when dweebs get real cocky and ride side by side on 'rural' highways. I popped over a hill in (remote)central MT about 80mph and here's two love birds riding side by side in matching spandex. Took up the ENTIRE lane.

Layed on the horn while swerving and thought WTF?!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bicyclists may not have an exclusive on the Darwin Awards, but damn, some of 'em try!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've hollered and told those staub swallowers to get a fu-kin room, they do not understand physics, gravity or momentum, I haul ninety four thousand five hundred pounds at times. shocked

I'm really getting tired on NOT trying to run over and kill idiots in the road.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by bangeye
Antlers I have a direct question for you since you are such a proponent of bikes on the road. How come when available bike riders don't ride on the side walk?

People who put lots of miles on a road bike aren't tootlin' around the neighborhood like a lot of us did when we rode bicycles as a kid. We have specialized bikes that are made specifically for riding on the road, not sidewalks. The smoother the pavement, the better. We go long distances, even up to and over 100 miles during the course of one ride. And we often go as fast as our conditioning and the environment (hills, wind, heat or cold, pavement condition, traffic, etc.) will allow us to. Averaging 20 mph or more, and going well above that sometimes. Riding on the sidewalk is not conducive to any of that. And again, good road bikes aren't made for sidewalks, they're made for the road. I can see how it would be hard to understand for folks who aren't cyclists...especially endurance cyclists...but for those folks here who do ride, and especially those who like to go long on the road, they can verify my answer to your question.

One poster mentioned earlier about a State law where he lived that required cars to give bicyclists on the road 3 feet of room when they pass em'. If they're not able to, then they just gotta wait till they can. Oklahoma has a similar law. Cyclists should get over to the right as much as they safely can, but unless it's illegal for them to ride on a particular stretch of road...they have as much right to be on it with their bicycles as you do with your car or truck.

If you dweebs would stay over on the god damn shoulder it wouldn't be such a problem.

But of course the shoulder is where it's roughest to ride so just ride out into into the ACTUAL lane where cars and semis travel 65-70mph....

Or when dweebs get real cocky and ride side by side on 'rural' highways. I popped over a hill in (remote)central MT about 80mph and here's two love birds riding side by side in matching spandex. Took up the ENTIRE lane.

Layed on the horn while swerving and thought WTF?!

THIS and when in a lowboy with a D-7 on with 12' blade doesn't leave much room

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's often roofing nails and broken glass and other debris way over on the shoulder too that can cause flats on a bike. I don't ride in that stuff for the same reason that you wouldn't want to drive in it. And bicycle tires on a road bike puncture a lot easier than a car or truck tire does.
If folks are riding side by side on a two lane road, they sure oughta get single file when a car or truck is coming...and if it's a busy two lane road, they shouldn't be riding side by side at all.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
There's often roofing nails and broken glass and other debris way over on the shoulder too that can cause flats on a bike. I don't ride in that stuff for the same reason that you wouldn't want to drive in it. And bicycle tires on a road bike puncture a lot easier than a car or truck tire does.
If folks are riding side by side on a two lane road, they sure oughta get single file when a car or truck is coming...and if it's a busy two lane road, they shouldn't be riding side by side at all.
Try riding AGINEST traffic and see if you move over if there is so much room

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So Antlers If I read your answer right right the bottom line of your answer is you can't ride on the sidewalk because basically you go faster than the pedestrians and thus it wouldn't be safe and it also would require you to slow down until you could maneuver around them safely and you can't be bothered to have to do that.

I'll tell you a little secret when someone runs over you, you don't want me on the jury when you or your estate tries to sue him because if I am, I don't care if evidence shows there are 50 empty beer cans in the floor board and the guy has two heroine needles sticking out of his arm at the time of he hit you, he's going to walk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gunner, that's a lot of weight. The highway is a pretty serious place.

Holton, that's a wide load.

We always move our tractor and air drill through town early in the morning when there isn't much traffic.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Gunner, that's a lot of weight. The highway is a pretty serious place.

Holton, that's a wide load.

We always move our tractor and air drill through town early in the morning when there isn't much traffic.

about like an articulating tractor with duals

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Bicyclists may not have an exclusive on the Darwin Awards, but damn, some of 'em try!

^^^This^^^ When I'm visiting my Brother in Austin, the tree huggin bicyclists down there just damn near dare you to run over them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 15 of 22 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.