Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On deer/antelope/black bear I've had only good results with the 162 Amax.

On elk, I've had both good and not good results. A friend was involved with multiple 162 kills on nice elk this year, and had good performance all around. I probably wouldn't carry them for elk again, but rodeo's can skew you that way.

I think it's one of the better bullets for your described use you could come up with.

Empirical results rule!
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 7x64FN

More time spent with Bell, Keith, Hunter, O'Connor and less time watching American Sniper might result in a return to hunting.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is American Sniper? Sorry, but I don't watch a lot of TV. I don't spend a lot of time reading hunting books either. I'v read my engineering books and get back to hunting when the tags are available. So, I guess I can get back to hunting next year.
I'm just not sure what your getting at.

Hornady lists it has acceptable for some hunting, so That's part of why I was asking for experience using this bullet on deer.

I know when I can shoot longer ranges, and I know when I can't, just didn't realize hunters were so avidly angry at each other for using different methods, in different terrains, with different equipment.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I didn't know this would turn into an ethical pissing match argument. So to sum it up, I only really care to hear from people who have used the A-max hunting. I've used TSX, accubonds, partitions for hunting, but my question was about the A-max and if they work on deer.

Thanks to those who kept on subject and shared THEIR or THEIR FRIEND's experiences with this bullet.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals. I also respect the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.
In hole was one caliber and closed, there was no exit hole. Had a gust of wind drifted that bullet on to a stout bone, there would have been a lost animal.

Get close, use a hunting bullet and you'll put meat in the freezer. If you want to impress folks with your 600+ yard shots, stick to gongs and paper.

Find an experienced PH or Guide who will disagree ..... well you won't.

If I draw this year, my speed goat rifle will be this. A long "44 Magnum", anyone want to bet I won't put one in the cooler ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All of the men you cited seemed to prefer the best equipment available and your photo is far down the list of what is available today. Who of them do you think would pick that rifle, scope and bullet combo as their first choice if they were alive today with the modern choices available?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Choot em in the lungs with it and they will die.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
amazing about sticking to 600 yards on paper when one you profess to follow, Keith, was known for long shots with small handguns...

I"m pretty stubborn, but even I admit things change and sometimes even for the better. Heck Ballistic tips came out like varmint bullets but have toughened up...

And explosive...well you might want to take some time to explain why sierra GAME KINGs, have come apart enough to be stopped by 60ish pound pigs shot in the neck, at under 200 yarsd from a 7 mag.... I've seen more "game" bullets fail, IMHO, than I have "target only" bullets....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals.

Thanks for your "permission".

So in your 60 years, have you personally run an AMax, Scenar, Berger VLD, etc into ANY animal? Or are you still just talking out of your arse?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Under a previous screen name 7X64FN posted about shooting a pronghorn with a 22-06 and Barnes bullets. I'd be curious as to what year and what state he did such a feat in?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't 7x64 the latest incarnation of Larry Root?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It is.

Careful guys. If you keep this up he will start talking handloads and show a photo of someone elses loading manual!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pointer
Under a previous screen name 7X64FN posted about shooting a pronghorn with a 22-06 and Barnes bullets. I'd be curious as to what year and what state he did such a feat in?

He's a trend setter smirk albeit legally immature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When in doubt, attack the messenger.

Sorry, chillin a'int rising to the bait.

Enjoy whatever it is you do.

best to you and yours, Larry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed a lot of deer with the 162 Amax and SST....DRT at every distance out to 500 which is my longest shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
I'm not sure what you mean. What is American Sniper? Sorry, but I don't watch a lot of TV. I don't spend a lot of time reading hunting books either.

Really?

I am not buying this

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cooperfan
I'm not sure what you mean. What is American Sniper? Sorry, but I don't watch a lot of TV. I don't spend a lot of time reading hunting books either.

Really?

I am not buying this

I'm guessing it's about a sniper?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
amazing about sticking to 600 yards on paper when one you profess to follow, Keith, was known for long shots with small handguns...

I"m pretty stubborn, but even I admit things change and sometimes even for the better. Heck Ballistic tips came out like varmint bullets but have toughened up...

And explosive...well you might want to take some time to explain why sierra GAME KINGs, have come apart enough to be stopped by 60ish pound pigs shot in the neck, at under 200 yarsd from a 7 mag.... I've seen more "game" bullets fail, IMHO, than I have "target only" bullets....

Ol Elmer claimed 600 yd shot on a deer with a 6" 44mag with iron sights. I choose to believe he did it. The original stunt shooter!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals. I also respect the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.
In hole was one caliber and closed, there was no exit hole. Had a gust of wind drifted that bullet on to a stout bone, there would have been a lost animal.

Get close, use a hunting bullet and you'll put meat in the freezer. If you want to impress folks with your 600+ yard shots, stick to gongs and paper.

Find an experienced PH or Guide who will disagree ..... well you won't.

If I draw this year, my speed goat rifle will be this. A long "44 Magnum", anyone want to bet I won't put one in the cooler ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huh, interesting... I've got a boss in Alaska that's got a bit of "experience" that would whole-heartedly disagree, as he's seen a plethora of Dall sheep and Goats killed with A-Maxes. And I guarantee if somebody showed up with that gigantic POS you posted they'd be laughed back into the gear garage to grab a different rifle.

Tanner

Seems I know of more than a couple guys who have done some guiding that would be in the same camp as your boss...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That deer was already wounded and getting away so Elmer gave it a shot ,pun intended !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cooperfan

Really?

I am not buying this

I'm guessing it's about a sniper?

google it, since you obviously use a computer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by pointer

He's a trend setter smirk albeit legally immature.
Yes he is.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.