-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up a 91 Jeep Wrangler with the I-6 and it needs a new clutch. Any suggestions? Seen some on eBay and other places.

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a '91 that I just did a clutch and transmission rebuild in. It is the 4 cylinder however. But essentially, it is the same process.

Strangely, I found the clutch on craigslist. Some guy bought it with the intention of replacing it for his Jeep, but sold the Jeep. But ebay and possibly Quadratec would be places you could check.

If I were you, and while you didn't ask but I will throw it out there anyway, I would plan to replace the engine rear main seal as it commonly starts leaking, and you will be right there anyway. Also, check the engine freeze plugs - particularly the last one on the drivers side and the one by the engine rear main as you are right there. I replaced my u-joints and transmission mount because those are wear items and why put back in old parts when you have to take them out anyway.

Lastly, inspect the engine mount on the passenger side. It is notorious for going bad. Actually, it is not the mount itself but the bracket you bolt the mount too. Brown Dog (if I remember correctly) has an improved after market bracket that is bullet proof.

I realize you didn't inquire about some of these items, but thought I would just mention it.

Doing all this work is much easier if you have access to a vehicle lift.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
^that sounds like some good advice from someone who has been there. I would have said get your clutch from the same place you get your labor, your mechanic.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the info Flagstaff.

K1500, since I'll be playing mechanic, and seeing as I don't sell car parts, that might prove difficult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to play a mechanic in my youth, but I try to avoid it if I can. Good luck on the clutch job.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A clutch really isn't that hard to DIY. You can rent a transmission jack or if you think you might need it again later, you can buy one at Harbor Freight for $100 to $125. The hardest part is probably getting at those 2 or 3 bolts on top.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought a clutch kit for my Ranger at NAPA for $175 or so. Find a buddy who works at a dealership or auto shop so you can buy it on their account, NAPA gives a pretty big discount for mechanics. Be sure and check the flywheel while you have it apart, it may be warped and need resurfacing. And replace your throw out bearing while you're in it too.

It's not too bad a job, the tranny should be fairly light compared to some of the older cast iron monsters. It shouldn't be too hard to muscle around a little to get everything to line up.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by TheKid
I bought a clutch kit for my Ranger at NAPA for $175 or so. Find a buddy who works at a dealership or auto shop so you can buy it on their account, NAPA gives a pretty big discount for mechanics. Be sure and check the flywheel while you have it apart, it may be warped and need resurfacing. And replace your throw out bearing while you're in it too.

It's not too bad a job, the tranny should be fairly light compared to some of the older cast iron monsters. It shouldn't be too hard to muscle around a little to get everything to line up.

Good point. Forgot to mention those things.

I also replaced the pilot bearing and slave cylinder.

Again, I was right there, and figured I would replace all wear items encountered because I don't like putting back in old parts as getting the transmission out is half the battle itself. Hate to have to do remove the transmission twice maybe just a few months or even a few years later.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've used Luk kits with good results.

A wobble (swivel) socket and a 3' extension will make getting the top 2 bell housing bolts easy.

Ready, Fire, Aim
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Put a new slave cylinder in it too while your at it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And jack it up and put it on a post-1997 frame and running gear... laugh

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With a 4BT, ARB equipped DANA 60's and 44" tires.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 53 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.