S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
(sigh)....I have been very consistent.

Come again?

I think he needs counseling and should have his hunting license yanked for wanton wasting of game.Pathetic.

Laffin'....I don't think anything....not for me to decide.I'm not a court of law.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
By your analysis and conclusion the purchase of a license is tacit approval for a hunter to behave in a reckless manner.

Complete and utter bullsh**.

Show me where I said that.

I do have a different definition of what constitutes "behaving in a reckless manner" though.

It's handling or discharging a firearm such that you endanger people or property.

Not the big game animal you're legally hunting and trying to kill. How do you endanger something you're attempting to kill? Use a bigger gun and kill it deader?

But I will admit, it's funny to hear a layman who's been arguing a legal point talk about how laymen shouldn't argue legal points.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Why don't we just call a 900 yard shot on an unwounded animal a douche move and call it a day.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
Burns and Pat would NEVER take that shot. Ever.

That may be true, but it's beside the point. The point is, both those guys (and others) can make shots that an ordinary hunter under ordinary circumstances should not attempt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

True, but beside the point. The point is, both those guys (and others) can make shots that an ordinary hunter under ordinary circumstances would not attempt.

Agreed, and you're concentrating on one point when it's a two point issue.

It's not that an ordinary hunter couldn't or wouldn't take or make the shot that's the issue. That would be a deviation from the ordinary "man" (hunter) standard of care. Yet, a deviation alone is not sufficient for reckless or criminally negligent. For those to apply, the deviation must be a "gross deviation". So, for Pat or Burns to take a 900 yard broadside shot at an unwounded elk would be a deviation from the ordinary, but that's not what the statute states as necessary for a violation. A mere deviation is insufficient, and simply extending the range (especially when the shooter is known and can prove that they are quite capable at such ranges) is just a deviation.

So, where Pat or Burns could and would take a 900 yard chest shot at a standing broadside, unwounded, elk and that would be a deviation, they would NOT take such a HEAD shot at such an animal. That would be a gross deviation. Why? Well, we've already said that taking a shot at such a range would be a deviation. So, what would make a deviation a "gross" deviation? To have that deviation compounded by another, perhaps more extreme deviation from the ordinary standard of care.

There are very, very few hunters that would every take a head shot. That shot, a head shot, is a deviation. Those that would, take it at MUCH closer ranges than 900 yards (Rost, for example, limits his to 300 and he's literally world-class with a rifle). To take a head shot, at 900 yards, is a deviation upon deviation; a "gross" deviation. That's the bar for reckless and/or criminally negligent, and it just might stick if it's tried on this douche-bag.

I know if I was a Utah CO, I'd damn sure try to make that charge stick. If I was a Utah prosecutor, I'd try like hell to get that conviction. If I were a Utah defense attorney, I'd certainly not like to try to convince judge or jury that my client's head shot at an unwounded elk at 908 yards wasn't a "gross deviation" from the ordinary standard of hunters. As a hunter, I'd certainly not like to be sitting in that defendant's chair trying to justify the same actions.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Link
http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunting-information/big-game.html
Send these guys an e-mail ask them to pass an opinion. Magnum Man

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Link
http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunting-information/big-game.html
Send these guys an e-mail ask them to pass an opinion. Magnum Man

Best answer yet to these vexing legal issues.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Didn't read all 6 pages.

I looked at the video and stepped through it.

To me, it looks like the shot barely touched the back of the head, rather than a square hit.

I got a hunch the cow was not retrieved.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That may be true, but it's beside the point. The point is, both those guys (and others) can make shots that an ordinary hunter under ordinary circumstances should not attempt.

so how does that make it ok for someone that can't make the shot to wound and not recover an elk in an effort to get hero footage on youtube?

douche move is correct.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why don't we just call a 900 yard shot on an unwounded animal a douche move and call it a day.

That might be good advice for you. On the other hand, there are hunters who, under those circumstance, could make a killing shot all day long.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by toad

so how does that make it ok for someone that can't make the shot to wound and not recover an elk in an effort to get hero footage on youtube?

douche move is correct.

Did I say it's "ok for someone that can't make the shot to wound and not recover an elk in an effort to get hero footage on youtube?"

No, I did not.

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law.

Do you see the difference?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

That might be good advice for you. On the other hand, there are hunters who, under those circumstance, could make a killing shot all day long.

Killing yes, easily. Head, well yes if it didn't move thats even possible.... but a stupid choice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Killing yes, easily.

That's what I meant.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killing yes, easily.

That's what I meant.

Count me as sort of confused on your position.

Do you believe targeting the head shot on an unwounded elk at 900yds when the chest is readily available is perfectly A OK???

The only reason for targeting a 1/2 MOA vital target for a 3 MOA vital target is too is to "show off"????

Pick a 1/2 MOA spot on the shoulder of the elk and call your shot there. Seems pretty simple to not make the elk pay for your braggin rights and still have something to "bragg" about. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JohnBurns,

One time I had a boss who said, "So you think you are pretty good a communicating?" I laughed out loud in his face. Often I tell Sue I have lots of problems communicating.

I posted "Killing yes, easily," "That's what I meant," was because making a killing shot at 900 yards in the shoulder/boiler room would be easy for some of our .com friends.

I sure hope that is clear. blush

Everyday Hunter
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One time I had a boss who said, "So you think you are pretty good a communicating?"

Was the conversation in lieu of a paycheck?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law.

Of the people, by the people, and for the people. It seems to me the general populace at least on this forum feel that it should be a punishable offense.

I am also very confident that such a matter put to the general populace would pass as punishable by more than 90%.

Not to mention this type of behavior will most likely have a large effect on the non hunting crowd that at this point are not against hunting. It is the kind of behavior that could finish hunting as we know it.

I believe you'd be one of few men on a jury who would aquit.

Any deviation from the will of the people is called communism is it not.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/27/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd

Of the people, by the people, and for the people. It seems to me the general populace at least on this forum feel that it should be a punishable offense.

Shod

Um, no, it isn't. In fact, at it's base it's the exact opposite (that the will of the majority of the people always rule, i.e., tyranny of the majority, is rather akin to Communism).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Shod

Um, no, it isn't. In fact, at it's base it's the exact opposite (that the will of the majority of the people always rule, i.e., tyranny of the majority, is rather akin to Communism).

You had me at Hello crazy

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is the kind of behavior that could finish hunting as we know it.

I believe you'd be one of few men on a jury who would aquit.

This has to be one of the stupidest posts I've read here. I've already said the same thing you did in the first sentence posted above.

And if the "will of the people" is to make taking an ill-advised shot at game illegal, why isn't it already illegal? What are you doing sitting at your computer screen, why aren't you out organizing communities to correct this grave injustice?

If this isn't stopped, then it will be up to the individual hunter to decide whether to shoot or not, and we just can't have that. It's communism.

And by the way, you can't judge the will of the people based on an internet thread that's a week old.

Page 14 of 23 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1moredeer, 1234, 1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.