Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Same here for centerfire. Rimfires are 50.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Sorry for the drive by's....

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Where is your zero set? Normally zero my rifles @ 250 yards. Now that I have a turret to turn I was thinking about 100 yard zero. What's your opinion? My maximum self imposed range limit is 600 yards.

How did you arrive at a self imposed 600 yard range limit?

Formid, I often wonder how many of these guys really know what MPBR is and how it works????? Sorry, I'm not directing my coments toward Reloader as he is a very good guy and asking an honest question. I know he's been shooting the 300 WSM for a long time now and is wanting to switch things up a little and start using a turret. I'd suggest a good ballistic calculator/program, coupled with a good chrono and LRF. Practice at intended hunting ranges and confirm drops. Make sure the scope dials as it should.. We may also need a little more info about the rifle/scope combo and the loads he uses as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I site in all my big game rifles dead on at 200. I then plug in my data to JBM for shooting long ranged obvious shoot to confirm. I go with 200 because I believe I can point and shoot during a hunting situation from 0-300 without dicking with my scope. 300+ requires adjusting the turret.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
POA/POI 200 yards. I just checked this weekend as I was at a range with benches, a rarity for me. I usually shoot from prone or sitting at random distances. New lot of powder and change of primers had POI about 3/4" low. I made the correction. If you want to be zeroed at a certain yardage, you have to shoot at that yardage. Calculations don't cut it for your zero.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
rvp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity. Some powders are a lot more temp. tolerant than others.I use a 3" high at 100 dead on at 300 and 8 inches low at 400 type zero. I don't have many shots at 400 maybe 1 every 3 years,most are between 150 and 300. I've taught myself to use a low hold on the close up deer and a high near the top of back hold on those at 400. My 264 win mag does the rest. However a 250 yard zero would work 90% of the time. Depends on caliber and preference of the shooter. My crosshair is always on the deers body.

SHOOT STRAIGHT AND OFTEN. Hunt with your kids. Teach them not to shoot anything that they are not going to eat. Have respect for all ANIMALS.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I zero at 100 and dial to 200 when I leave the trailhead--dial further as needed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[

Originally Posted by JGRaider
200 if using a CDS dial. MPBR (3"@100)with no dial.

Just trying to be sure- MPBR is +3 inches at 100 yards? What size MPBR?

The same size I'be been using since 1978 with my 7RMags/160's. wink

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom1947
All my rifles are sighted in for 100 yards dead on. If need be I can dial it in with my tarets.

Many times when I am shooting LR, first I use my tarots to suss out the dope, then after the shot I often excercise my tourettes. Occasionally I will use the turrets as well. YMMV

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity.

There must be something wrong with my load/rifle combos.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity.

Travis

Me too........unless I do load workup in the Sonoran desert in August, and hunt Siberia in February.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rvp

Travis

No, it's Shrapnel's ammo

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by rvp
We shoot on my 300 yard range at my camp year round. Most of you know thst the zero you set for the hunting season will change all year long with temparature and humidity. Some powders are a lot more temp. tolerant than others..

At 300? Maybe. But that would be an extreme differances to see a noticeable shift in zero at 300 yards. Even still, all the more reason to zero at 100 and adjust for longer.

Why the side step?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by rvp

Can't say that I knew that in fact I have never experienced a zero shift all year long. I fact if may zero changes I know that I have a problem that needs addressing.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I zero at 100, to minimize environmental deviations.

It's no trick apply 200 yard correction to the turret while traipsing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Why the side step?

Why do you care? I'm a mere mortal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
so it sounds like several guys use a zero at "X" yards and then have a drop "cheat sheet" and dial according to that. am I understanding that right?

Why not have a turret made with the yardage on it and eliminate that step? just a question, not looking to flame anyone. just wondering why more folks aren't doing that.

I like having it right there in front of me, so I range, click and shoot. I know where my rifle is going to hit at anytime simply by looking at what range it is set at.

Turrets with designated ranges, for designated loads, at designated speeds, in designated conditions, are a one-trick pony.

Travis

Of course, most of us have multiple rifles with multiple dials so we can perform several tricks in lots of conditions. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A waste of money for all those dial, since a mill or MOA turret works perfectly for any and all conditions/rifes or loads.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Because you gave an answer and I'm trying to understand your reasoning and method. Only someone who is unsure of why they are doing something or those who don't understand what it is that they are actually doing avoid such questions.

Notice- no one else has broached an answer to the same questions asked, save BSA apparently because he can read sign.

-

3,2,1 cue passive aggression.....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I zero hunting rifles with Plex reticles for MPBR, B&C for 200 or 300 as appropriate, some dial yardage systems are sighted for MPBR and others at a set even distance, and turret scopes are usually sighted for 100 and carried with the turret dialed for MPBR. More than occasionally I'll slip the scale on a turret or CDS scopes to make the chart match the conditions, and have sighted ballistic reticles in at 400 or 500 with the appropriate crosshair to move the errors back to where they don't matter as much.

A couple of my rifles have summer and winter loads, since its easier to bring the velocity back to the chart than the chart to the velocity.

I have my own 1/2 mile range, and have tried just about everything once. Shoot F-Class too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Because you gave an answer and I'm trying to understand your reasoning and method. Only someone who is unsure of why they are doing something or those who don't understand what it is that they are actually doing avoid such questions.

Notice- no one else has broached an answer to the same questions asked, save BSA apparently because he can read sign.

-

3,2,1 cue passive aggression.....

Yeah, I'm very unsure of myslelf.......using MPBR/3"high @100 with 160gr/7Rmag is self explanatory. I don't like answering stupid questions when the answer is obvious.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/10/15.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.